• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What level of magic is your campaign?

What level of magic would you label your campaign (or the campaign you play in)?

• Low-magic (below D&D level)

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • Normal/stock/core/book D&D level

Votes: 88 49.7%
  • High-magic (above D&D level)

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 8.5%

shilsen

Adventurer
I'm running two Eberron games and I'd label the magic level there using a term I heard on these boards - wide magic. There's a lot more low-level magic than in the core rules and a lot less high level magic than in the core rules.

JackGiantkiller

First Post
i voted something else, because each of the different campaigns over the last three or four years has been totally different, from an over-the-top all the magic in the world game to a no PC magic game.

Zappo

Explorer
I run two campaigns; the Warcraft campaign is at about standard magic level, and the Planescape campaign is in the upper range of "standard" for presence of magic but the lower range of "standard" for availability to the PCs (mostly due to lack of money).

Mercule

Adventurer
I always used to complain about standard magic and say I wanted a "low magic" game. I finally gave up and started balancing by the DMG.

You know what? It isn't that bad. The party is actually over-rich for their level and it still feels like they don't have too much magic.

On the low side of standard. I tend to use a lot of prepublished material, but cut the magic item awards in half (with some other tweaks so that it balances out).

The party still feels too rich for their level, though.

My game is "low magic" meaning that high level magics are rarer than that implied by the DMG. That is changing as the players are having an effect on the game world.

It is "normal magic" in that there are crafters at the levels recommended by the DMG to make those items that still fit within the setting. (Which handles all the +x items and most of the minor wondrous.) It is also "normal" magic as I follow the DMG's guidelines for gear. By the same token, I equip NPCs with rational magical gear.

The net result is that there are plenty of clerics for CLW potions and basic enchanted gear is readily available. The "urban renovation" level of magic is missing so armies are primarily grunts with pikes and/or bows supported by CLW-tossing medics and tactical mages (shatter is impressive at higher levels, flaming spheres can break formations, summons/illusions are distractions, etc).

The players have more but so do unique NPCs so things have a nice balance.

Remove ads