• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What level should a paladin get a holy avenger?

Lamoni

First Post
A Paladin gets a temporary (once per day for only a few rounds) Holy Avenger with the Holy Sword spell at level 15. That is a fun spell to use and is quite good. Therefore I wouldn't give a Holy Avenger to the character until at least 16 so that they would have some time to play with their new spell and enjoy it. Once you get a HA, Holy Sword will probably never be chosen again (and that is probably the single best Paladin spell there is). Of course, Complete Divine finally added a few spells that could also be fun to play with.

pawsplay

Hero
I'm with Umbran. Simply paying a wizard to craft you a Holy Avenger is boring.

It doesn't have to be. Say, the first day you march into town with your already legendary weapon... a blackguard riding a red dragon swoops down over the town square, mocks the paladin's insignificant weapon, and starts causing mayhem.

16th is good... anything over 6th level or so is fine if the story supports it... it might be a nice present at 20th level, which is going to be a long level, especially if the DM makes a rule about performing an epic deed to make epic levels.

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
I think the holy avenger should be created sort of like how the samurai's daisho gets spiffed up in OA as in it becomes more powerful with time. Sacrificing XP would be more appropriate than gold IMO as well.

DM_Matt

First Post
Never. I dont want to roll against weak SR for every darn spell cast and dispelling against every baddie buff every round. It bogs down the game waaaay too much.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
DM_Matt said:
Never. I dont want to roll against weak SR for every darn spell cast and dispelling against every baddie buff every round. It bogs down the game waaaay too much.
Are you speaking from experience? Since the SR only applies to spells specifically targetting the paladin, I'd hardly think you'd have to roll for every spell cast. And since using the Greater Dispel Magic ability of the Holy Avenger requires a standard action, and thus the paladin cannot attack any round he uses it, my guess is that you'll hardly be rolling for Area Dispels every round.

But I've never DMed one, so perhaps in practice it's different.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I'd go for as soon as they can gather the 120,630 GP and make it down to the friendly local Magic 'o Mart. Holy avengers are found between the Staffs of Power section and the Wishes aisle...

I'm quite a fan of unlockable weapons. I'd consider starting them with a Holy Sword at some reasonable level. Over time they can unlock the swords powers. And quite probably it's ego as well.

Full Holy avenger ~ 16th I reckon.

Lord Pendragon said:
And since using the Greater Dispel Magic ability of the Holy Avenger requires a standard action, and thus the paladin cannot attack any round he uses it, my guess is that you'll hardly be rolling for Area Dispels every round.
DM: The door is magically sealed.
PAL: I greater dispel around the door.
DM (die roll): The door is still sealed.
PAL: I greater dispel around the door again.

Every magic trap, magic door, magic anything can be dispelled at will by the Paladin. Since there are no per day limits, there's no reason for him not to try. I've always hated the holy avenger.

Remove ads