What level to start at....

Runesong42

First Post
Odd levels are your friend.

3rd level is a highly popular choice, but doesn't allow for that much customization if you plan on running long-term with slow advancement. 5th is great, as it gives a wizard a 3rd level spell or two, and allows for some multi-classing for those who want to do it all right away. 7th level has always been my favourite level for some reason, but might be a little high unless you plan on running a role-play intensive game (though I suppose it doesn't matter what level they are if you're ruinning RP intensive games *LOL*).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Crothian said:
Start at first but advance them fast like a level per session. It allows them top build the character over time andf get to play at different levels.
Yep, how I did it at first was to start everyone at 1, give them brief story and a short battle to get in the swing of things, and give them a level. Next session, gave them another level. After that, slowed it down, progessively.

A'koss

Explorer
I like to start 'em off at 3rd level. Reduce the risk of the one-hit kills and give the arcane spellcasters a chance to make some positive contribution right away. If you start off giving them swift advancement right away only to stall them a couple of levels later it might go over a little oddly with your players.

S'mon

Legend
I like the idea of starting at 1st and advancing quickly in both levels and time - ie after 1st session where the PCs are 16 year old youths, "A year passes - you have learned much, and are now second level..." - ie you could do 2nd session at 2nd level in 2nd year, 3rd session at 3rd level in 3rd year, until you get to a suitable starting level for the meat of the campaign. This lets you run some introductory sessions to bed in the PCs and their interrelationbships, develop the recent history of the setting, and get rules experience. I would advise against starting at 8th if you want a long-term game, such PCS rarely feel 'right'.

Thanee

First Post
I'd start at 2nd level, as it is still very low (about the same as 1st level), but you have more hit points, which enhances survivability, and then just give plenty XP, so in the beginning, advancement is quick (up to 5th or 6th level), then slow down a bit to not overwhelm them with options.

Bye
Thanee

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Another vote for first level and a level per session for a while.

Personally, I tend to make 1st level combat very safe. I prefer to use opponents with clubs/subdual weapons and reasons not to kill. Pressgangs and slavers work well for me... Removes the chance of an unfortunate crit ending a career very early.

Telas

Explorer
Another thing I do at first level: Spend a lot of game time introducing the characters to the setting. Let them meet a few friends and enemies, barkeeps, merchants, the local constable, priests, etc. A good fistfight helps at this point, since it's nonlethal. My current campaign begins with the characters getting held up by bandits, and is kind of railroady, but it teaches a few lessons right off the bat: don't fight everything, trust the DM not to kill you just because he can, and wait for the proper time to fight.

Telas

Remove ads