• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What literature influences your games?

Baz King

Explorer
Like many I've come up with my own Appendix N for my blog. I hadn't looked at it for a while until this thread. As a result I've added The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's a perfect blend of Warhammer, 7th Sea and Oceans Eleven.

Hippy

Explorer
I have always been partial to Tolkien (as has been mentioned by others already). His way of envisioning cultures and building stories around them is unmatched in MHO. I also love the political intrigues in Herbert's Dune series and the Jordan Wheel of Time. Great character development and motivations.

Currently I am running a Shackled City campaign with some steam punk elements (but very light) mainly the availability of firearms and wizard powder. My next campaign will draw heavily on the Jordanesque organizations. I particularly like the Children of Light and a organization in my homebrew called the Sentinels are definitely influenced by Jordan's Children of Light. In my game the Sentinels are a multi-nation sponsored military organization (like the Children) that are the last defense against the Necrolands, a large region of former realms that have fallen under the shadow of negative energy and have been overrun by undead. My players are looking forward to it and it should be a hoot to play!:lol:

Cheers,

Hippy

dougmander

Explorer
For my fantasy games, I go with some of the same stories that Gygax mentioned as inspirational reading in the 1e DMG:

Roger Zelazny's Amber series and his stand-alone novel Jack of Shadows.
Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels (the first two, anyhow)
REH's Conan stories (and the later Conan stories by Lin Carter, etc.)
Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar stories.
The Hobbit and LOTR
C S Lewis's planetary trilogy, especially Out of the Silent Planet

Other media:
The artwork of Roger Dean, Alan Lee, Moebius, and Rodney Matthews.
The graphic novel of Nausicaa and the Valley of Wind by Hiyao Miyazaki.
Roy Thomas and Barry Winsor-Smith's 70s era Conan comics from Marvel (I had a complete set of the first 20 issues or so, and they perished in a basement flood -- weep for me).
The music of Led Zeppelin and Yes.

I'd also have to say the the sense of wonder and enchantment of 1e D&D is itself a huge influence even on my current games. I can't bring myself to play it but it the books themselves, especially Tramp's artwork, are still magical for me, and I browse them often.

ggroy

First Post
For ideas as to how "politics" may possibly function in my adventure campaigns, lately I've been reading literature like:

- "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli
- "Mein Kampf" by Adolf Hitler
- "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu

radferth

First Post
In addition to the Tolkien, sword & sorcery, and modern fantasy books mentioned by many other, I've found Watership Down to be a big inspiration. Sure it's tremendously long kid's book about talking rabbits, but its protagonists act more like a standard D&D party than any adult fantasy literature I've read.

steenan

Adventurer
My biggest inspirations for me are (in order of importance):
Jacek Dukaj - Other Songs, General's Move, Perfect Imperfection, Raider's Daughter
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker
O.S. Card - Ender series
Steven Erikson - Malazan series
Ursula LeGuin - Earthsea series
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series

karlindel

First Post
I think that I tend to emulate characters from books more often than TVs or movies. I find that characters in books tend to be better developed than those in TVs and movies, since you often get more background, as well as insights into the character's mind.

I think that literature has a strong influence on video games, and video games have some influence on literature. Video Game literature has improved significantly over the years, as old games often have only the vaguest of storylines, while more modern rpgs often have developed backstories and plotlines. Literature based on video games also influences other literature, as writers notice ideas that work (and sell) well. Any creative addition adds to the ideas that the audience internalizes, making that addition into a new baseline. For example, the laws of robotics were originally specific to Aasimov, but in some form or another are now an underlying assumption of most science fiction featuring robots. Similarly, Hyperspace was once something that would need to be explained to the reader, but can now be glossed over as a genre assumption if an author so desires.

It's hard to say what specific literature influences my games, as I am a voracious reader, and routinely pull small pieces from whatever I am currently reading. As far as literature I enjoy, in fantasy I really like interesting and well developed magical systems. I read science fiction, fantasy, science fantasy, horror, and sword and sorcery, depending on my mood. Most of the strong influences have already been mentioned by others.

One similarity between my literary and gaming tastes is that I am very character focused. In novels, I prefer plots that arise from the characters and their reactions to what is occurring. In gaming, I tend to create NPCs with goals and motivations, and the plot develops as they react to the PC's actions.

However, what works in literature does not always work in a game. In literature, the hero will know a lot of background on the world that players may not know about a game world, making in game puzzles and riddles more difficult to put together than one for a novel. There are also a lot of things that work in a novel that will not work in a game because of the difference in genre. Prophecies in novels are much easier than ones in games, as the writer can have the prophecy come true in an unusual way, but in a game the characters need to be guided towards at least one of those paths or the prophecy proves false. Similarly, much weaker characters can go along with the true hero and can be interesting, but it's not usually as much fun for a player to play that kind of character.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Tends to be whatever I'm reading at the time, but that material's fairly well pre-screened for my tastes.. lately it has been Karl Edward Wagner and Lovecraft. I love sitting on the porch with Karl, a Guinness and a cigar - listening to High on Fire, no less. Yeah, I'm a walking cliche - so what! Get some!

Over the years I've read/watched alot of the same stuff probably already mentioned.

Remove ads