• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What lowish level Dungeon Magazine adventures work well with 5E? (issues 1 - 150)

Scorpio616

First Post
I have a decent stash of the old print Dungeon Magazine and considering working on completing it, so I'm wondering, what lowish level Dungeon Magazine adventures, from issues 1 - 150 work well with 5E?

Scorpio616

First Post
Reskinning / swapping monsters wouldn't be a problem, it is just been so long since I perused the old issues, I'm trying to remember which ones were not too closely ties to their edition's rules. For example, the Challenge of the Champions adventures are kinda the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Roger

First Post
Trouble at Grog's from #4 is pretty classic; I'd probably start by giving it serious consideration, anyway.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They should work great. As you note, you can swap monsters, and we now have the default monster math in the DMG. Can also use NPCs from the back of the MM.

Only other tip, which I recently put in another thread, for other challenges, just remember DC 10 is pretty easy, DC 15 is moderate, DC 20 is hard. With this alone you can adopt a lot.

jrowland

First Post
Well, pre-dungeon magazine stuff is certainly do-able as AD&D stuff converts with ease. I recommend "The City Beyond the Gate", where PCs travel to modern Day London to recover the Mace of St. Cuthbert. Dragon #100 (which includes Dragonchess, making it my favorite Dragon Magazine).

If nothing else, the maps of parts of London and the Museum are worth it. I am sure if you google Dragon#100 you can find it.

Statistics for any TSR era system are easy to convert so it's more of a case of the type of scenarios that you prefer. What kind of adventure hooks or scenarios interest you and which don't? Do your players enjoy exploration & interaction, hack & slash, or puzzles/mysteries the most?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Chadrathar's Bane (issue 18) is a joy, and should work really well. It's the adventure where everyone gets shrunk down to tiny size.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I'd actually love to find a list of the best and most popular 1e/2e adventures, for when I feel like converting something in my free time. I need to know which ones to buy, though. >.<

I'd actually love to find a list of the best and most popular 1e/2e adventures, for when I feel like converting something in my free time. I need to know which ones to buy, though. >.<
I think I have such a list. I searched the internet for Best D&D adventures, and Best Dungeon Magazine adventures, because I have the impossibly stupid idea of placing them in my campaign world for a true mega-sandbox. From my many findings, I compiled a loooong list. So I am in the proces of listing them all in a spreadsheet, listing levels, edition, and teaser blurb. Next step will be to list the requirements the adventures have to location as well as location names, so that I can place them in the world. And then, some day, I will read them.

Like I said, impossibly stupid.

Remove ads