• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What made Al-Qadim special?

VirgilCaine

First Post
I don't know a whole lot about Al-Qadim, but I like what I see in the 3e conversions and in the Corsairs of the Great Sea boxed set and the Caravans boxed set from the WotC website.

But what made it different from other campaign settings, crunch- and flavor-wise?

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Crunch-wise the main thing was the concept of "fate" and how fate could influence the outcome of events. Also no heavy armor as desert heat would kill a warrior wearing it. The cultures of the setting demanded a lot of roleplaying, as "station" was very important.

Flavor wise, it speaks for itself. The romance and high adventure of the Arabian Nights. Imagine every Sinbad movie you ever saw, and if you liked them, you would have enjoyed Al-Qadim. I bought a lot of the supplements, but never got to play in the setting, something I've always regretted.

Oh sir, you have touched on a topic that is near and dear to my heart. Al-Quadim was the best of the best.

The mythic theme was one thing and very good. Who doesn't love the Arabian nights? But it was also the first DnD setting I saw that made real sense in terms of its fantastic realities. Dark Sun was the second. And that's kind of it.

The only thing I thought was weird about it was that it was a little too isolated. The Mamelukes needed an exterior threat and economy to really make sense.

Sleepy Voiced

First Post
Al-Qadim was my favorite setting, well, IS my favorite setting, so I am a little given to gushing about it, but I will try to keep it concise here.

As far as crunch goes, the most significant difference to standard D&D was that every character was required to take a kit. The kits were all very well tied into the setting, and the usual complaints about kits (which I generally shared) didn't seem to apply as much.
Everything in the setting was so well tied into the mechanics. I have never played in a campaign where it was so much fun to just explore the setting.

As far as flavor goes, Al-Qadim had it in spades. It was familiar from things like the Arabian Nights, Sinbad films, Disney's Aladdin, etc., but also very exotic.

My favorite aspect of the setting, as a DM, was there seemed to be a place for all of its monsters and gods. Nothing seemed tacked on or extraneous. Every monster in the AQ compendium was an adventure that you wanted to run. The gods were not given alignments. They just were. There was a lot of potential in religious conflict that wasn't the standard "your god is CE, so you are wrong".

Oh, I guess I did kinda go on there. To sum up: AQ was just awesome.

I highly recommend the Arabian Adventures book. It is a great intro to the setting, and much of it can still be useful in a 3E game.

The feel and spectrum of the classes/kits was perfect even where the actual structure wasn't.

They had a whole range of archetypes that you just didn't see much of before or since.

Trick riders, barbers, bards who could curse or bless you, wise women, charismatic wizards who actively bargained for their magic, stylish religious assassins, and crazy hierarchical soldiers.

Not too mention a really cool hierarchy of priests and a fantastic, in a literal and qualitative sense, political system.

And with the Sha'ir's Handbook so many neat wizards!

radferth

First Post
Fluff-wise, I would say Al-Qadim was the quintessential example of how to do a setting right. In short, everthing worked together pretty well, but it was easy to lift elements from it for other campaigns. A counter-example would be 1st ed Oriental Adventures, where the setting just felt like it was tacked on because, gee, I guess we should have some sort of setting for this. Also, Al-Qadim was described from the point of view of the folks who lived there, as opposed to how modern or medieval westerners would perceive it. I never played in Al-Qadim itself, but borrowed liberally from it for both my Greyhawk and homebrew campaigns.

As for crunch, I think they got a bit overambitious with the kit thing. Magi were more tied to the elements as opposed to schools, which seemed to work well. There were also Sha'ir, who got spells from genies on the fly. They were not bolt hurlers, as they needed time for their gen familiars to fetch the spells, but they were not limited to a certain number a day, so they were great for utility and long-duration buff spells. I liked the Kahin (kind of a mystic druid/shaman guy) and the Hakima (divine seer type). These three spellcasters were definitely sub-classes, where most of the rest of the kits were just a collection of minor bonus, penalties, and extra skills. I was a bit paranoid about the crunch at the time, as I picked up Al-Qadim right when TSR was starting to flood the market with odd rules variants for 2nd ed. Looking back, most of it was either quite good or fairly innocuous, which places it quite high on the scale.

zen_hydra

First Post
Yeah, it really is a shame that no one has resurrected it. If WOTC is dead set against licensing Al-Qadim out, some third party should create a "cloned" version of the setting. I think third party companies could make a real killing churning out d20 versions of some of TSR's old settings. I would love to see new versions of Al-Qadim, Birthright, Darksun, and Planescape. Just change the trademarked bits and swipe the concepts whole cloth.

Al-Qadim was always the setting that I wished I had picked up back in the day. This thread certainly isn't helping!

While not as outwardly wacky and creative as Spelljammer, Planescape, or Dark Sun, it definitely filled an important niche that was hitherto only hinted at.

Remove ads