What Magic Items can a Werewolf use ?

Hackenslash

First Post
Hi all,

I am creating a werewolf character for use in a high level campaign. I was wondering what Magic Items can be used effectivly by the creature in it's Hybrid Form. I have noted that the DMG states that most magic items alter size to fit, but how fast ? and how does that effect the character concerned ? Also what Items would you all recommend using ? I was thinking of actually spending most of my time in Hybrid form anyway so maybe a magical chain shirt(not too restricting), magic rings and a magic weapon etc...would suffice. Would Boots of Flying, or any other boots for that matter, still work in my Hybrid Form ? (with my altered foot size/difference etc...)The change in shape does not result in a size category difference, so it is still classed as a med sized creature. My human form is 5ft11ins and my Hybrid Form is about 6ft6ins, but that does not have to be the case as it states in the Hybrid description that your form is "about 6ft tall". I have tried to not be too greedy or power gameing, and actually down graded the stats and the character from a weretiger but obviously need some magic items that can still be used whilst in Hybrid Form as I am in a campaign with 14th level characters. Cheers in advance for any advice or suggestions...:D

Last edited:

Hackenslash

First Post
Help....Help....Help....Pllleeeaaasssee !!

Hello All,

Any response to my thread would be very much appreciated as I have to get the character ready by Thursday night to start play almost immediately. Cheers all. :D

ThoughtfulOwl

First Post
Well, armor is not a problem; you can assume an almost istantaneous resizing. Most other magic items would fit both your humanoid shape and the rougly humanoid hybrid one, so no problem there, also.

If anything, I envision some problems with vests and robes, unless they are quite loose or resize too.

For boots, the real point is how much the feet change with the transformation: you could always assume that they still fit.

One little suggestion: if you plan to adopt the animal form, you might consider Ioun Stones, since they just float around regardless of your shape (good also for wildshaping druids); of course, you won't able to disguise as a normal wolf this way, unless a friendly caster puts Invisibility on each of them.:D

Hackenslash

First Post
Many, Many thanks....

Thanks for replying "ThoughtfullOwl". I had not even thought of using Ioun Stones...good call !! Back to the drawing board of Magic Item selection, me thinks !! I am glad that you agreed about the magic item re-sizing, I was not sure how long it took for the items to re-size and if they would break during my transformation. Regarding the Boots of Flying, well the Foot of a Humaniod Hybrid Werewolf would be different shaped, like a dogs, walking on it's toes etc...so not too sure if they would even fit in the first place really, but would be ok in my Human form of course. Anyway, Cheers for clearing that one up for me. ;) Any other thoughts out there ?? :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Generally, you can use items that use no slots (if your DM plays along, you can make "ioun stones" for almost everything: STR
+6, True Sight permanently on,...), but they have double cost.

You could also get wilding clasps: They are attached to magic Items and allow them to be used even when you change your shape (originally it's a druid wild shape thing, but IIRC they work with were-beasts, too). They're in Masters of the Wild.

Dthamilaye

First Post
KaeYoss, I think Werebeings specifically say that no items meld into your new form. That means you keep all items on you even when you change between forms. Of course, if some item is too restrictive, it might break.

That means wilding clasps are not needed at all.

For my part, I would probably be ok with most of the magic items, including slotted.

I wouldn't let you keep armour on you in hybrid form.
Some other things that I might not let you keep in hybrid form are:
Goggles/lenses
Boots
Robes
Vests
Helmets
, depending what kind those would be. A circlet around your head might be ok, but a full pot helmet would probably not, as your snout grows bigger.

On the other hand, rings/bracers/weapons/amulets/earrings and such are ok.

This all is , of course, totally house ruling. There are no real rules about this anywhere.

Hackenslash

First Post
Thanks again for the updates...!!!

Cheers !!! but not sure why "Armor" would not be allowed, especially the lighter, less restricting types, like say a "Magical Chain Shirt" I thought that it would re-size to fit, and considering I am not even changing general body shape or size category, I am not sure why "Armor" would be excluded during my change into Hybrid Form ???:confused:

Remove ads