What makes a Campaign setting Interesting to You?

Mr. Draco

First Post
Quickleaf said:
Setting Core: Create a one-page (or less) "Setting Core" for your setting, and whenever you're stuck in your writing come back to this core. This keeps the setting tighter, less scattered. As a player I want to feel like there's a cohesive idea that's binding this world together.

What do you mean by this? The idea sounds very interesting, but I must admit to being a bit confused. Do you mean a single, underlying plot that connects everything in the setting? Something else?

seskis281

First Post
Thank you for your reply Quickleaf!

In answer to your question, I should 1st say that I am transitioning between gaming groups. I lived in Louisiana for 6 years while working on a doctorate and had an excellent group there. Many of the ideas I'm incorporating reflect some of what my players always liked - not counting my one power-player who loved his half-dragon characters (ugh). I am just starting to put a game together for a new group, but they will be younger and not sure how they will react or enjoy my style. I'm a pretty competant story teller and as a playwright most of my games are pretty interesting at the very least.

I will be using this as the basis for this new group, but I am also hoping to look to publish it (or failing that get it out over the internet - just can't reproduce my posters as nicely there) - I especially think I will be appealing to old school and those in the rules-lite circles like C&C (which is what I'm now set with) and others.

I thank you for the many good points and suggestions.

I think maybe I'm coming into focus on this as the specific difference in my campaign:

"What if Humans really are the major source of evil? That even their noblest intentions and greatest achievements unbalance the world around them, and the growth or expansion of fell creatures in oppostion is just a reaction through evolution to the imbalence created by man?"

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Mr. Draco said:
What do you mean by this? The idea sounds very interesting, but I must admit to being a bit confused. Do you mean a single, underlying plot that connects everything in the setting? Something else?

In the Eberron setting search, WotC had a one page submissions form, which asked questions like - What do the heroes do? What is unique about the setting? What are the major conflicts? What are the major themes? So on and so forth. It basically gives you a thumbnail of the larger picture you wish to create. The thing about campaign settings is that if you fail to make one of these, it's easy to come up with a bunch of conflicting ideas, or lose sight of what your original intent behind the setting was as you're fleshing the place out.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Whisperfoot, you got the idea of the "setting core" exactly.

An excellent example of the WotC one-page spread can be found at James Wyatt's "Aquella " page.

seskis281 said:
Thank you for your reply Quickleaf! [snip]
You're welcome. I think you've asked an excellent Big question, and I appreciate your openess and inclusion in listening to our opinions. Just the fact that you're asking this question makes Ilshara more interesting to me, not to mention that you've managed to distill a theme ("humans as evil")...

Can you give an example of how this theme works in your game? For example, how a certain race formed in opposition to humanity as natural evolution?

If humans are essentially evil (whether or not they realize it) in your setting, then I wonder will it have ecological overtones? As in, even those who do good for human society (for example, those a church building low-income housing) end up harming the environment (like the old-world industrialists)? Or are you coming at the theme of "humanity as the major source of evil" with humans as the conquerors of other nations (paralleling our real world colonial history)?

Best of luck with publishing!

Last edited:

seskis281

First Post
It's not going to be humans ARE evil, rather that whether evil or good humans are unique in that they are the rare combination of capabilities and will to impose - lowly Orcs may have the will and desire to control others, but lack the ingenuity and creativity of humans to grow in strength. Thus, the differences between, say LG and LE are not as far apart as one might think - both seek to impose their will on others, but to different ends.

My thought is that humanoids, creatures, etc. existed alongside demi-humans before humans arrived, but that a natural balance existed (chromatic/metallic dragons) that was disrupted by the arrival of humans. Thus, it's not the "creation" of races, but the evolution of their cultures that reacts to the imbalances in the world created by humans - they build empires, exploit multiple and extensive portions of the lands, etc.

The villains I am employing are to be exemplars of this. In some respect I am influenced by Sith mythology from Star Wars (don't worry - no tech or sci fi, just the philosophical aspects) and am creating an ancient lineage of Dark Lords, whose evil is a philosophical choice - that man has the will to dominate or not, and they simply accept and choose this.

Ecological overtones most certainly, but I think the colonial comparison is perhaps the best. Noble intentions of LG to "civilize" or "bring the light" to others (i.e. heathens or savages) attempts to displace or overwrite the culture of others.

So following up on the thumbnail - I think the main purposes of heroes is to engage adventures that will reveal the history and nature of man in these Lands, and (following on the Players should have an impact) give the chance to possibly shift this imbalance.

Thanks again - your comments really are very helpful!

John Maddog Wright

"No matter where you go, there you are... in a tavern!"

Remove ads