• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What makes a good sorcerer?

Wycen

Explorer
So I'm trying to make a character for an experimental game tomorrow and I'd like to try a wild sorcerer.

A race with a bonus to Cha seems like a good choice. And I really like Chaos Bolt and Chromatic Orb, but what other attributes would make a better wild sorcerer?

ppaladin123

Adventurer
So I'm trying to make a character for an experimental game tomorrow and I'd like to try a wild sorcerer.

A race with a bonus to Cha seems like a good choice. And I really like Chaos Bolt and Chromatic Orb, but what other attributes would make a better wild sorcerer?

Well, the chaos sorcerer build relies on dexterity as a secondary statistic so drow and haflings are both perfect for the job since they are +2 Dex, +2 Cha races.

Also you should probably take armor proficiency: leather to boost your AC. Sorcerers start with only cloth proficiency and thus are much squishier than other strikers (which usually start with AC around 16-17).

From the D&D Experience sample characters we also know that there is a feat that allows sorcerers to channel their ranged attacks through daggers (i.e. you can transform a ranged attack into a melee attack with reach 1). That might be helpful if you find yourself accidently in melee combat since you won't provoke opportunity attacks.

That's about all I can tell you until we see the PHB II up close.

Krensus

First Post
IMO, Halflings and Drow make really good wild sorcerers, mostly because of their stat bonuses. As for which to pick between the two, I'd lean towards Drow for Darkfire if you're going to focus on offense and Halfling for Second Chance if you want to be more durable, though Cloud of Darkness could be a better defensive ability.

I'm not really sure, those are the two I'd choose from, and I'd probably choose the Dark Elf.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Does anyone else find halflings as the premier chaos sorcerer conceptually jarring? I mean, drow, sure; but halflings?

Of course you could spin it as incompetent wizarding, like Short-Round from Goonees.

fissionessence

First Post
One of the characters I use for playtesting is a wild mage entobian sorcerer. The entobian is one of Alluria Publishing's Remarkable Races, and it's a pretty cool little insect creature. It, like the halfling and drow, get +2 Charisma and +2 Dexterity, making it a good fit. And chaos bolt is really really good. It's actually kind of silly.

~

Wycen

Explorer
Halflings aren't my favorite race, but I'm seeing why they might work well.

I've no clue how to get stats for a drow, I think they are in the Monster Manual.

I'll have to check the stats for the warforged online, that might be an interesting combo.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Halflings aren't my favorite race, but I'm seeing why they might work well.

I've no clue how to get stats for a drow, I think they are in the Monster Manual.

I'll have to check the stats for the warforged online, that might be an interesting combo.

Drow are in the Realms PG.

Don't underestimate halflings.

They have a dark and serious side. Hidden and poisonous. Like cockroaches, snakes, spiders and rats.

Think about that next time they give you a cheeky little smile and a wink.

Everyone thought Hitler was charismatic in the beginning.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Don't underestimate halflings.

They have a dark and serious side. Hidden and poisonous. Like cockroaches, snakes, spiders and rats.

Think about that next time they give you a cheeky little smile and a wink.

Everyone thought Hitler was charismatic in the beginning.

Gollum, Gollum... sorry clearing my throat. (It wasnt just the ring he started out an envious slime easily seduced)

Remove ads