What makes an adventure great?

Squire James

First Post
I've found that some of my best adventures come about from starting with a blatant cliche, then twist it in some fashion. It works even better if your players twist it again!

For instance, my "cliche" was an elven father wanting the PC's to babysit his son while he was off on a meeting with the mayor. My twist was that the child was actually more powerful magically than all the PC's put together, and the only reason he needed guarding was his extreme physical fraility (he had about 5 hp, and he had a disease similar to hemophilia where every wound he took acted like a 3.0e Wounding effect. After dealing with the mischief of the child, I intended to get to the "serious" part of the adventure... the 10 orcs the mayor sent to kill the kid.

At least that was the plan. What actually happened was as follows:

Only 2 people came to that game out of the 6 I expected. Hm... they'll need to be pretty solid level 1 guys to take on 10 orcs... I mentally reduced the number to 5.

They decided to play a thief and an illusionist. A First Edition AD&D thief and illusionist. If there were a party more unsuitable for fighting even 5 orcs, I couldn't think of one. They couldn't even heal the kid if they got hurt, until I finally convinced the illusionist to take Healing proficiency by telling him that NO party should be totally devoid of healing. Somebody play a cleric, or somebody take Healing proficiency.

They fell for the kid's mischief hook, line, and sinker. The various Moan and Groan cantrips actually convinced the characters there was some sort of horrible undead creature in the basement (even playing off my comment about wanting one of them to play a cleric).

When the 5 orcs arrived, the illusionist decided to cast his only spell that day to attempt a Phantasmal Force illusion of a dragon. I told him that he had never seen a dragon, but there was some chance he could dream up a convincingly scary image. We discussed what was fair, and decided it was probably up to pure luck, so he was to roll a d20. The better the roll, the better idea he had of what a dragon was supposed to look like.

He rolled a 1. The orcs fell down, laughing. The thief was actually calling on the elf's son to save them, and save them he did. Despite some uncertainty regarding who was babysitting who, the father returned and rewarded them.

Even though the adventure was over at this point, my players weren't satisfied. They had to know who sent the orcs, and they wanted to go kill him. We had plenty of time, so we played out the thief making contact with the local thieves' guild and spending about half their reward on information (I figured the guild had something to do with hiring the orcs, so they knew the mayor did it) and the other half on a single dose of paralytic poison. They also bought a light crossbow (which neither a thief nor illusionist could use), and I decided the thief could use it at the hefty non-proficiency penalty.

I had determined long ago that the mayor, the intended BBEG of a little 4-6 week campaign, was a 7th level fighter with weapon specialization. He would almost literally have to try hard NOT to kill both PC's in a single combat round. The mayor, suspecting something like would happen, let the PC's see him alone (figuring he could just come up with some fake excuse after killing them quietly). Winning intiative, the thief shoots a bolt with thier only dose of paralytic poison at the mayor.

A natural 20. Gee, the mayor only needs about a 6 to make the saving throw, make that a 4 because the guild sold them weak poison. The PC's were about to pay for their poor choices! Right.

A natural 1. Much coup-de-gracing ensues (they didn't call it that, but it worked the same). A pair of level 2 adventurers left the building and then the town, hunting for some wandering kobold or ferocious squirrel that would give them the 1 XP necessary for level 3.

While they thouroughly trashed my campaign, we all agreed it was the most fun we ever had in our lives!

Darren

First Post
The first D&D sessions I played in involved some goblins led by a drow ambushing trade caravans. The PCs happened to be strangers traveling through the area, happened to stop in the same tavern for drinks, [wait... it gets worse...] happened to overhear someone lamenting the troubles the locals were having, then decided to work together to solve the locals' problems after the briefest of introductions. I think this took about 5 minutes to set up. We then proceeded to journey out into the forest and lay the smack to some goblins. It was a blast.

Really, don't worry about it being done before.

Get a basic plot or idea you like, maybe a map that looks interesting, and just run with it. Try to make your NPCs and the bad guy interesting (interesting does not necessarily mean complicated), and have one or two little things going on outside the adventure. Maybe a new town hall is being built when the PCs leave town, and when they get back it is completed and the mayor is giving a pompous little speach on the front steps. Meanwhile the local outfitter's store that had no caltrops in stock when the party first passed through just received four barrels of caltrops by mistake rather than four barrels of nails, and the owner is now desperate for people to buy caltrops. Just include little stuff like that that lets players know the world is active around them.

I think if you have a few decent NPCs in an active world with players and a DM who all understand each other and want to have fun, the rest mostly takes care of itself.

dougmander

Explorer
Don't worry if your ideas are mundane. There are only so many basic plots out there. Even something as basic as "find the magic ring hidden the wizard's ruined tower" could be a great adventure for 1st-level characters, as long as you make it fun, intriguing, vivid, exciting, and custom-fit for your players:

FUN: The players have real choices about where to go, what to do, and who to interact with, but not too many choices, which can be paralyzing.
INTRIGUING: The more they play, the more the players reveal about your game world, making connections, discovering new places, meeting new NPCs. There is always more going on in the story than meets the eye.
VIVID: You make your world vivid with concrete descriptions of sounds, sights, smells, and textures. You put your heart and soul into bringing your NPCs to life, really inhabit them while they're in the PCs' presence. A PC never just hits or misses in a vivid game; she plunges her knife into her opponent's heart, or watches as her arrow bounces off her foe's' shield with a resounding clatter.
EXCITING: Your adventure has a real chance of failure and the promise of reward, without being too dangerous or too easy. There is something at stake for the PCs if they fail, and something to gain if they win.
CUSTOM FIT: The adventure fulfills your players' particular needs, whether combat, puzzle-solving, NPC interaction, or character development.

Chaldfont

First Post
Make your adventures like action movies! We've been having a lot of fun with the Eberron adventures because they are written like Indiana Jones movies.

Here are some really fun things to do that players will remember forever:

* Use action set pieces. Set your combats in interesting places. A crowded market, a ship in a storm, at a costume ball. Watch and learn from Jackie Chan movies.
* Allow the PCs to do things beyond their abilities. In one adventure I had low-level PCs chase a water-wizard into the sea. They raided his cabinet full of potions that the wizard used to polymorph his minions into sharks. Potions, scrolls, and wands/staffs with low charges can allow PCs to do some really fun things even at low levels
* Have a chase scene.
* Make players use the skills they chose because they thought the skills were cool but never seem to come up in the game. Make a list of all the PCs skills and look for ones that don't get used much, then make up reasons to use them. Knowledge, Profession and Craft skills always seem to fall in this category.
* Let the PCs lead a ragtag band of really low-level villagers/soldiers/whatever in a big battle.
* Kidnap the PCs relatives.
* Force the players to make hard choices. Remember Indy having to choose between grabbing the grail or his father's hand to get out of the chasm? Tough moral choices can be fun too.

But this is all in preparation. The best prep can fall apart if you aren't a good DM at the table. These things are even more important.

* Know when the players are bored or frustrated and change direction immediately. Your #1 responsibility is making sure everyone is having fun.
* Take no more than 30 seconds to look up a rule. If you don't know the rule, make something up that's fair. Look up the rule after the game. I've actually gotten way worse at this since 3rd edition came out. You need to keep the momentum of the game rolling along. Nothing stops a game like looking up or discussing rules.
* Slow down and describe things. Even in combat. It's sooooo easy to fall back on "ok you hit, 4 damage. Orc attacks, misses. Your turn."
* When in doubt, say "Yes" to a player when he wants to try something. You can always fix it later if its unbalanced. What D&D rules would you use if a player wanted to try grabbing a foe and using the foe's weapon on another foe like Indy did in Temple of Doom?

msd

First Post
Chaldfont said:
What D&D rules would you use if a player wanted to try grabbing a foe and using the foe's weapon on another foe like Indy did in Temple of Doom?

Just taking a hack at this as an aside and as a fledgling DM trying to exercise his understanding of the rules and his imagination...

Perhaps require a successful grapple of the opponent, and then an opposed strength check to be able to overpower the opponent in his control of the weapon. Perhaps (maybe too much) a -2 circumstance penalty on the attack roll...

Ok...on another note, if you were going to learn from someone else's adventures, who would you pick as an example. In other words, who do you guys think are the best D20 publishers out there.

Goodman Games?
Necromancer Games?

I have never bought anything from Monkey God or Troll Lord...

Who else should I take as examples?

Arnwyn

First Post
msd said:
What, when it comes down to it, makes an adventure great in your mind?
For me, personally, it's interesting locations. Location, location, location. My players and I seem to enjoy the interesting locations the most.

(By location, it can be as large as a city/country, or as small as a room.)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Matt, consider coming up with a really cinematic scene and then building the adventure around it. I do this quite a bit, and it seems to work really well.

Remove ads