• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Makes an Encounter Exciting?

Raven Crowking

First Post
From what people have been saying, I see a number of important factors. To wit:

(1) Location
(2) That an encounter has meaning
(3) High stakes/chance to lose
(4) Everyone has something to do

Are any of these factors sufficient to make a fight between a 10th level fighter and 4 goblins exciting? If so, which ones? Or any other thing not listed above, of course!

RC

Flynn

First Post
To Quoth The Raven:
Raven Crowking said:

(1) Location

Are any of these factors sufficient to make a fight between a 10th level fighter and 4 goblins exciting? If so, which ones? Or any other thing not listed above, of course!

RC

I'd daresay that Factor #3 would be the primary means of empowering that fight, by giving the goblins class levels so that the stakes are higher and there's a chance to lose. At that point, since there's only one character, Factor #4 is an automatic, and if you're facing goblins with levels, then I would hope that Factor #2 was a part of the overall scenario. With that, Factor #1 can be added for more amusement.

Optionally, give the goblins something of importance to the scenario, something that the goblins can use to control the situation, such as a fragile potion needed to save the King or something like that, and you've got Factors #3 and #2. Use small spaces and treacherous balance beams with a chase sequence, and you've got Factor #1. Still the single fighter, so Factor #4 is met. Yep, hits 'em all, and that one doesn't even require giving class levels to goblins.

There are always ways, if you want to make them happen.

Just a thought,
Flynn

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
High stakes is #1, as far as I'm concerned. That's what tends to make it exciting most often, whether I'm playing or my pet victims other people are.

Psion

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:

(1) Location

WRT #3, at risk of re-emphasizing one of my points, actual chance to lose is not so important/functional as the appearance of chance of loss.

For me, I only really feel the need to pull out the stops or be sneaky once in a while. Other than that, clever posturing is sufficient.

I do try to take some HP in each battle. That seems to be a measuring stick many players use to determine the challenge of the encounter, but with a high level party, you can do that pretty easy and still not risk the buzzkill of a tpk.

Woas

First Post
Agreed with Psion.
As a player I would get very frustrated if there wasn't a cakewalk every now and then and "living in fear" every encounter in hopes of my characters survival would get real old, real quick.

I do whole heartedly agree with location and everyone having something to do. I would add though that really what makes an encounter exciting is being open-ended which these two aspects fall under. Just like a good game, an encounter should not feel rail-roaded. The characters (and players) should have options and many modes of attack. Be it subterfuge, straight up fight, negotiating or more. The players should never feel as though the only way into an encounter is through the front door, then room 2...3...4...etc.

mcrow

Explorer
Great locations that are well described by the GM that have some effect on how the encounter goes.

Also, the players must feel that they are taking some sort of risk by being there. All great encounters have a heck of a climax.

boerngrim

Explorer
Raven Crowking said:

(1) Location

RC

That sums it up for me.

As a player? When the DM is playing the enemies smart and tough and we're barely winning - if we win.

As a DM? When I feel like I've challenged the players with a tense, tough situation. With interesting terrain and/or things going on.

Polydamas

First Post
Raven Crowking said:

(1) Location

RC

"Missing something fighter?"

Redgar looked...his was sword was gone from his scabbard. Across the busy city street he could see the owner of the voice, a lone goblin smirking at him. It was a tough shot, with some many people if the way....should he take it? Then he noticed the second figure scurrying away.

Chase ensues, with the second goblin running through the crowd and Redgar barely keeping pace...but he finally saw the goblin, panting, try to hide in an alley. Redgar entered...and what he though was an overhang and blankets hanging out to dry was in fact a deadfall. He realized this once it fell on him.

As Redgar struggled to lift the weight, he saw the two goblins who had triggered the trap join the third.

and from behind, the voice said "What we really wanted was your armor...."

Ry

Explorer
RC, you know what my thoughts on this are, but I'll post a slightly different version:

There has to be multiple things going on. The primary threat is not enough. There needs to be resources and problems in the mix - complicating factors good.

But relevance to the PCs is also crucial. If the PCs are trying to get into the dungeon and someone is trying to stop them from getting inside, that's cool. If the PCs are trying to get into the dungeon and someone's trying to just kill them because it's Tuesday, that's uncool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads