What makes Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter so good?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It would be swell if you explained how there was any misunderstanding of your words by others. It sure looks like you misspoke, but I am again open to hearing how I am wrong. "Nuh uh!" is not really an explanation.

Already explained. Please read the comments you refused to catch up on but instead demanded me to answer without you considering those comments.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It's not just balance, either. I would also argue that GWM is fundamental to class identity.

In the big core game that I ran, the Barbarian player was somewhat disappointed to find out that his class was actually an extremely durable tank, rather than an offensive powerhouse. The Power Attack portion of GWM appears to be designed specifically to address that issue, except they buried it over in the feats, which are twice as optional as the Barbarian class is.

Or maybe, just maybe, it is their 'reckless attack' feature.

Or maybe, just maybe, it is their 'reckless attack' feature.
Reckless attack is designed to work with Power Attack. That's why they have it. If they don't have Power Attack, then the class just has extremely high durability and accuracy; it doesn't actually hit harder.

Barbarians aren't generally know for the extreme precision of their strikes. They're supposed to hit hard.

Oofta

Legend
Already explained. Please read the comments you refused to catch up on but instead demanded me to answer without you considering those comments.

Did you? I thought it basically came down to "I felt justified in what I said because I agree with the OP and other people do not".

Because I try really, really hard to not misrepresent what people say and to get a better understanding if I think I may have - as you put it - put words into your mouth.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Did you? I thought it basically came down to "I felt justified in what I said because I agree with the OP and other people do not".

Because I try really, really hard to not misrepresent what people say and to get a better understanding if I think I may have - as you put it - put words into your mouth.

I thought I made clear our discussion on this was over

Oofta

Legend
I thought I made clear our discussion on this was over

I was responding to your statement saying reading the rest of the comments made everything perfectly clear. As far as I can tell the only thing they make clear is that you feel really, really justified in saying that anyone that disagrees the statement "GWM IS BROKEN" is blind or naïve.

If I'm missing something please let me know and I will happily and sincerely apologize.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Hypothetically, a poster strongly implied that other posters might be blind and naive, but stopped just before saying other posters were blind and naive, this preserving deniability should anyone be inclined to report a breach of site rules.

If you think I'm saying anything about any poster in this thread, don't put words in my mouth, read this again to understand, and this conversation is finished. QED.

Reckless attack is designed to work with Power Attack. That's why they have it. If they don't have Power Attack, then the class just has extremely high durability and accuracy; it doesn't actually hit harder.

Barbarians aren't generally know for the extreme precision of their strikes. They're supposed to hit hard.
It give me the idea to convert GWM to replace the frenzy berserker ability at level 6,

Mindless Rage? I love that ability. It's Frenzy itself that is disappointing.
From a balance standpoint, how would it be if GWM replaced Frenzy, and three levels of barbarian was the only way to gain the benefit of that feat?

Because off hand, it seems like it would easily solve the identity crisis of the class, creating a very strong distinction between offensive barbarians and defensive ones.

Remove ads