• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What material do you NOT allow? or how do you screen?

reddist

First Post
A related question to what other books you use is what other books you allow, or DO NOT allow, your players to use.

For my group, anything that comes out of the PB is fair game, but if they want to use any other feats or spells that appear in ANY other book, they have to pay time/gold to train or research it. I don't tell them ahead of time if I'm going to allow it, of course, but this way I get to keep an eye on what comes into my game and weed out the broken stuff.

--Reddist

Last edited:

reddist

First Post
oops

Moderator--

I goofed and started a new thread.... the previous post and all replies should go into the "beside the 3 core rule books, what else...." thread.

Could you move this or rename the thread?

Many apologies,

Reddist

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
This is how I do when I DM.

generic lands: All the D&D and FR books are fair game. Everything else is not allowed. I don't use Psionics so they are out.

Scarred Land types: d20 and S&SS stuff is fair. I do let feats come in, but no Pr-classes. It does help with balance to a degree. Also helps to keep the SL flavor.

FR: FR only, but I do allow the feats. No Pr-classes from the splat books. There's plenty in the FRCS and Magic of Faerun to work it out fine.

Eternalknight

First Post
I allow anything from any of the books I own. I disallow anything that a player brings to a game himself until i go over it and make it a bit more balanced (it's a law of physics in my campaign that a player-created spell, weapon, etc will always be waaay to powerful). I don't allow anything from a book unless a player physically has it with him.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Eternalknight said:
I allow anything from any of the books I own. I disallow anything that a player brings to a game himself until i go over it and make it a bit more balanced (it's a law of physics in my campaign that a player-created spell, weapon, etc will always be waaay to powerful). I don't allow anything from a book unless a player physically has it with him.

Pretty much my own take on things. I don't mind players buying and bringing over new stuff. Even with the review material there's too much for me to keep up with. If the material looks good, I'll tell the player he can playtest it and we'll see how it runs. The player always knows that it's GM fiat if I find it too powerful.

NemesisPress

First Post
Well, to emphasize the roleplaying aspect, I provide players with customized versions of everything - whether it be spells, equipment, feats, etc.

I talk with them to find out what direction they want their character to go in and then work the appropriate item's/abilities into the campaign.

In other words, they don't get to decide anything on their own without my approval.

Hammerhead

Explorer
I judge everything on a case by case basis. The same ability in one character's hands might be fine, while in another's, it could be incredibly powerful. Look at the difference between a tactical expert rogue and a fighter tactician.

Some things I've already decided to all but ban. I don't like the results of all the save DC boosting stuff in FR, so stuff like Greater spell focus is going to have a hard time coming through.

Darklone

Huhm...

I allow always: 3 Core rulebooks and kalamars Player guide (rulebook 4). Oops forgot Psi handbook plus ITCK.

Never: Splatbooks. Some feats are ok, spells are mostly crap and PrClasses... no way.

I do allow most PrClass abilities as feats and I am always happy if a player wants some special ability that can be treated as feat.

Other books: Scarcely any. And absolutely no without checking for balance.

Edit:Forgot Psi

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads