• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What materials must a Player have/bring with them at a game session?

What *must* Players have/bring with them at a game session?

• Only themselves, nothing more

Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Character sheet

Votes: 108 77.1%
  • Pencil/pen

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • Dice

Votes: 101 72.1%
  • Player's Handbook

Votes: 40 28.6%
  • Dungeon Master's Guide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monster Manual

• Campaign book

• Campaign notes

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • Supplemental rule book(s)

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Miniature figure(s)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Computer/electronic device

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Drink(s)

Votes: 27 19.3%
  • Snack(s)

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • Extra paper

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • Money

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.9%

IronWolf

blank
Whether you are a DM or a Player, what do you consider the basic necessary materials that a Player must have/bring with them at a D&D game session? The bare minimum to be considered properly/politely prepared to play the game.

To be considered 'properly and politely' I went with character sheet, pencil/pen, dice and money (to help chip in on the food order). However, if a player forgets something any one of us can cover them for the night and it is not an issue.

Ron

Explorer
Themselves, dice, pencils (I am always loosing mine), and snacks. I expect I few of them to bring their own Player's Handbook but I keep all character' sheets in a folder with my campaign material.

Grymar

Explorer
A good mood is the most important thing to bring along. If someone walks in the door with a cruddy mood, it can quickly infect everyone. I'd rather you stay home than show up pissed at the world.

But, dice, pen/paper, character sheet, and anything you want to eat/drink are also important! ;)

Gilladian

Adventurer
Beyond character sheet and dice, I included the PH. I don't mean that they will need it every week, or that they can't play without owning a book, but I do mean that they need to make the effort to bring with them the basic knowledge and understanding of their character.

One friend I have brings only his character sheet, dice and a printout of the class he's playing; he doesn't own the books and can't afford to buy them. We supply the rest, by longstanding agreement.

We play at my house, and I have all the pens, pencils, minis, and accessories anyone could ever want. I am happy to supply a basic snack and drinks for everyone, but they frequently supplement with their own choices.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
This is not a good poll, because the answer totally changes depending on the game.
This is not a good complaint, because it is totally nullified by reading the first of two sentences in the OP: "a Player must have/bring with them at a D&D game session"

Bullgrit

sjmiller

Explorer
For me, all I ask is that you bring your character sheet and dice. While it is nice if you bring other things, we usually have everything else at my place. As for books, there are a number of them I prefer the players NOT to have, but that is a personal thing for me.

coyote6

Adventurer
Character sheet, dice, a writing implement, and other -- namely, whatever else they need to play their character.

If everything they need to reference is in their character sheet, it doesn't matter if they have a PHB or not; but if they are playing a spellcaster, and will need to look up spells, bring the books with the spells. Someone else is usually the host, not me, and if I GM, I may bring no D&D books -- no PHB, since I have an SRD, and I bought the Spell & Magic Item Compendiums, and my favorite monster books, in PDF, and I'm not loaning anyone my laptop. :)

They might want to bring notes, 'cause I'm not always going to remember to remind people of basic campaign facts & the like, so if they forget who the villain is and get suckered because of it . . .

Of course, my D&D game is over, so I guess the real answer should be "nothing". :)

A gift for the host (and the GM if they are different). Quality alcohol is traditional; a food treat is acceptable as well. The gift need not be lavish.

It is also proper to send a brief note within the next day or two thanking the host (and the GM if they are different) for opening their home to you and putting in the effort it takes to prepare and run the game.

C'mon, didn't your parents teach you manners?

Remove ads