• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Melee class does the most damage?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The rogue is more like 4th or 5th place.

1st place.

Crossbow expert+sharpshooter

2nd place
heavy weapon master+polearm master

3rd place. Sharpshooter+ bow

4th place Great weapon fighter+ half orc champion

Sorlock is 1-3 depending so the Rogue falls even further down. I also need ot have a look at lance+ great weapon fighting+mounted as the advanatge offsets the -5 to hit and you have a shield and a d12 weapon in one hand. Throw in some ranger and paladin builds and I suspect the Rogue will fall even further.

Polearm Master does look strong.

We don't allow the bonus attack without a second Crossbow for Crossbow Expert. We're going with the intent rather than the RAW on that one.

Zace

First Post
My vote for Highest consistent DPS is ------ Barbarian x / Fighter 3 improved crit(4 for stat/feat) HalfOrc with Polearm Master & GWM feats.
---> Advantage on attacks is better than Precision Attack.
---> with feats that =3 attacks per turn for levels 5+ and 4 per round with AoO and that means 40 damage that's not even from the weapon base damage. And like I said Advantage is better than Precision, it last for many more attacks and has more landed attacks dealing damage.
--->Crit range 19-20 and bonus to crit damage with HalfOrc and Barb class adds even more to the Advantage attacks.

Also I need to add the previously mentioned Shield with Hand crossbow is ridiculous if you think it does big damage. You get one attack per round that's it period. You need a hand to reload even if you ignore the loading property and you can't do that with a shield unless house ruled you can but in that case you ignore completely how shields work or that cross bows need two hands to reload.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Gotta agree with [MENTION=5834]Celtavian[/MENTION] in many of the specifics but also that the circumstances matter.

For example, if you've have a DM who does one encounter a day? Paladin with a bonus action attack blowing all their slots of Divine Smite (and Smite spells when they can't take a bonus action attack) are fantastic. Got a DM who does 8 combat encounters a day and some other scenes where a paladin may want to cast out-of-combat spells? They are middle of the pack, maybe edging towards the back depending on which Oath.

Also of big interest is your party dynamics. Have a caster willing to haste you (and just you unless they are a sorcerer), then combatants that do full damage every hit do better vs. those that only add once per round. Have a caster willing to bless you regularly then Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master look really nice.

Changing topics slightly, lots of people are giving two feat combos as "da bomb". That only works at high levels. You can manage to have two feats at 4th level, but only if you take variant human that gives lesser bonuses and then give up your first ASI. So you end up behind in your general to-hit and damage bonuses anyway. Generally you need 4th and 8th ASI to get to a cap in your primary, though a +2 stat race can do it earlier with one ASI and a half-feat - but most of the "killer feat combos" aren't half-feats.

mellored

Legend
Rogue's with support, like Commander's Strike, dissonant whispers, or greater invisibility are the winnrs.

With out support i would say overall it would be the fighter. In paticular battlemaster with precision strike. Possibly with 2 levels of barbarian for reckless attack depending on the level. Extra feats help get you to 20 Str faster.

Barbarian would be second, followed closely by paladin if he spends his slots to smite.

Monk starts out stronger the rogue, but falls behind getting more control (stuns) over damage.

mellored

Legend
Rogue's with support, like Commander's Strike, dissonant whispers, or greater invisibility are the winnrs.

Without support i would say overall it would be the fighter. In paticular battlemaster with precision strike. Possibly with 2 levels of barbarian for reckless attack depending on the level. Extra feats help get you to 20 Str faster.

Barbarian would be second, followed closely by paladin if he spends his slots to smite. Unless you have really short days then paladins win.

Monk starts out stronger the rogue, but falls behind getting more control (stuns) over damage. Rouge need to use their tricks to set things up to compete, like getting surprise rounds.

Giant2005

First Post
Also I need to add the previously mentioned Shield with Hand crossbow is ridiculous if you think it does big damage. You get one attack per round that's it period. You need a hand to reload even if you ignore the loading property and you can't do that with a shield unless house ruled you can but in that case you ignore completely how shields work or that cross bows need two hands to reload.

What you are failing to take into account is the fact that you necroed a thread from a year and a half ago. This thread predates the ruling you are referring to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads