• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What mini-bosses do you love sending at the players?

Which class do you use to frustrate those wankers?

• Barbarian

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Bard

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Cleric

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • Druid

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Fighter

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Monk

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Paladin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ranger

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • Wizard

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Other (Base Classes)

Votes: 9 7.9%

Felix

Explorer
There you are, sitting at work, thinking a new campaign up for your players when it strikes you that this particular mini-boss would frustrate the hell out of them. We're not talking BBEG, not talking huge plot-arc character; we're talking about the mini-boss you throw at them to wreak havok for a few sessions before they finally track him down and kill him.

What classes do you love to do this with?

In your post, which races or monsters do you give class levels to toughen them up a bit?

For my money, it'd have to be the halfling bard: innocuous enough for them not to know who's causing them trouble, and innocent-looking enough to discourage them from out-and-out killing the little pest.

Jaguar

First Post
I voted other because I use the psionic classes, because they make the players fight hard and, in the end, they took it all with them to the Next Life, not even spell components (LOL)!

In this way the excess of magic itens is avoided.

Drowbane

First Post
I have a soft spot for Wilders and MBEGs.

Lorgrom said:
Wilder or Warlock work the best for me
Nothing makes players swear quite like a Warlock hiding behind mooks throwing out the Voracious Dispelling + Baleful Utterances :p

DogBackward

First Post
I've always been fond of using monks, if it fits the story. Ok for damage, nigh impossible to catch, and even if you do pin them down, they won't go without a fight. Insane climb and jump checks combined with the speed bonus make for easy escapes, and at higher levels, they get all sorts of useful goodies. Dimension Door makes a great mini-villain escape method.

Masquerade

First Post
I love psionicists for these situations. My players went up against a claw-based psychic warrior in a very memorable battle this week.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads