• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What motivated you to purchase splatbooks for 3e?

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I bought them so that as a DM I'd know what my players were talking about when they would tell me that they wanted to take a particular prestige class. Having the books allowed me to analyze the class so I could determine if it belonged in my game. I also could understand the background of the PrC so that I could steer the game in a direction to allow the player to take a PrC without it appearing as "Poof! You are now a <INSERT>"

I also bought them so I wouldn't be blindsided by my players using some newly published feat.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Completist mentality. I felt like I had to have everything, primarily out of a fear of "not knowing" the latest rule/monster/class/etc. As time went on I realized I would never use most of the splat books, and some of them didn't work for me anyways since I use my own homebrew setting, and alot of the official "fluff" wouldn't apply to me.

I became much more selective in which books I purchase, focusing now on the things I know I'll get use out of. Not sure yet how that's going to pan out with 4E, but I'm thinking I'll be buying even fewer books this time around.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I actually bought the majority of my 3.5e books for the monsters and for options to use with monsters or NPCs (I didn't get much chance to actually play, so I didn't create a lot of PCs) However, once I got to a certain critical mass, my completist urge kicked in.

I spend more time reading D&D books than I do playing the game (and I game twice a week :eek:) so I bought books that looked to me like they'd be an interesting read.

However, I have a limited budget, so I tried to steer clear of books that got comparatively bad reviews.

Despite this, I am something of a completist, so if there is a series that seems to me to be less than impressive overall (such as the "Races of" series) the I don't buy even the better received books since I know that if I buy one then I'm likely to end up buying the rest as well.

Then WotC cancelled my magazines and I stopped buying 3e books completely in protest.

Graybeard

Explorer
I bought splatbooks either because of a campaign need or because after I looked at the book in the store, I liked enough of what I saw to actually want to spend money on it. There are several books I never purchased simply because I didn' t like them. I know people that bought everything that came out. Some of the stuff I bought was 3rd party books/PDFs that fit the campaign I was running or playing in and added ideas or options.

Wik

First Post
Well, I bought the complete series for the extra classes... and then when the second round came out, I bought them if they even referenced the spellthief. Seriously. I bought Complete Scoundrel solely because it had two spellthief-specific feats, and some PrCs that could sort of be spellthief friendly.

I'm a little crazy about that class.

Other books I bought only if they really caught my interest. Heroes of Horror was a must, and I bought the environmental books because they usually fit PERFECTLY into what I was running (though I didn't grab the last two, because dungeons are rarely seen in my games, and I know enough about running a city). If the 3.5 book craze started again, me being who I am now as opposed to who I was, my purchases would be somewhat different. More monster and magic item books, and fewer splats. Except for spelltheif material.

I told you. I'm nuts.

FireLance

Legend
I bought 3.x books for the same reason that I bought 1e and 2e books.

Inspiration and options.

It's why I buy 4e books.
Short answer: This.

Longer answer: I like tinkering with new sub-systems and new ways to use old rules, and buying supplements allows me to keep up to date with innovations in rules and design.

Aus_Snow

First Post
See Greg K's post. The very few times I ventured beyond those motives. . . well, I suppose it can do the trick as overpriced fuel for fireplaces.

Remove ads