• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What moves you to choose a specific race?

JMBeraldo

First Post
I was having this discussing with some friends about races in RPGs (in the specific case, Pathfinder and other d20 games). It started out with someone saying that picking a race has little (mechanical) effect to the character after the first few levels. It is arguably a fact (with some races).

Added to that was the discussing that the majority of players did not 'roleplay' these races, so that, in the end, they were all humans in funny costumes

Now, the question is, what is the reason for you choosing a specific race? The stats/abilities it provides? The concept of a dwarf or elf due to some affinity? Pure lore based on the campaign setting? Something else?

paradox42

First Post
First and foremost, the stats and abilities it provides. I usually make a character intending to go with a specific class, and race is a secondary choice for me. Therefore, I pick a race which will enhance my class choice.

After I have a subset of races (there usually isn't Just One (possibly-)Good Choice), I'll look at the setting lore and see what "clicks" better with the class I'm going for- as well as providing interesting RP hooks from which to design character background and such.

Grell

First Post
Roleplay. It all comes back to Roleplay. I come up with a character concept (personality/motivation/hook), pick a class that suites it, and them look over the list of races to find which one I think helps to work with the character concept to make a more interesting backstory. I generally don't choose sub-optimal setups, but I also don't avoid them. Really, races give you a pretty static list of bonuses... classes give you a source of all your character's dynamic actions and give you plenty of choices as you go... I like to make sure I get the most "benefit" out of my race by picking something interesting, not just mechanically useful.

delericho

Legend
Very occasionally, I'll have a specific race in mind when I start creating the character. That's quite rare, to be honest.

More commonly, there are two factors:

1) I won't even look beyond the Core Rulebook for the game (or setting). I don't necessarily oppose there being an expanded race list for the game, but Mos Eisley cantina-style gameplay is not for me. So, I won't create a PC outwith the core for the game, and I don't allow an expanded list of choices in my own campaigns.

2) Bluntly, I'll look to the ability score adjustments. I know that's horribly power-gamey of me, but it's the simple truth. If I'm playing the game, I want my character to contribute as fully as possible to party success, and my rolling is truly horrendous (really, it is - I have the most abysmal luck with dice). So, yeah, I'll go for an at-least-somewhat optimised character.

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
Generally I pick class and rp story first, then fill the rest in. If it makes sense to use a certain race for story reasons, then I will go with that. Otherwise I use stats or racial abilities as the deciding factor. If i am feeling low on feats, i'll pick up human just for the extra one. If i need dark vision, i'll go half orc.

Looking at the new races available, I think there are some fun ones. Particularly cat folk, which i think could have some funny rp situations with string, fish, birds, etc... However, i find it harder to try and match classes to already chosen stats sometimes.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I usually make my pick based on role playing concept rather than mechanical concerns.

Sometimes I want to see how the mechanics of a class interact with the mechanics and lore of the race, though. It's rarely for a blatantly power-gaming reason and may often be more against the mechanics than with them (for example, half orc paladins in editions in which they have a charisma penalty).

Sometimes I'll also pick a race because of the mechanics because I want a character with that particular characteristic... whether it's a big deal for the class I select for him or not.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Hmmm...

I think, for the most part, I pick the race to fill out a particular character concept. Often, I have an idea in mind and a couple of classes that I'm eyeballing with regards to that idea. From there, I will start matching up races to those classes until I find that one area that clicks for the character. I then settle in on my class/race combo and draft the character to fit my idea.

Sometimes it will be a particular feature, or set of features, that make the deciding factor for a race. Of course, those are pretty much always mechanical. I have to admit, that overall, the fluff of a race doesn't really come into play when I choose a race. That fluff only comes into play as I build my character's background.

That's not to say I don't build characters for their roleplaying value, as I do (hence why I often spend skill points in crafting and profession skills that match the background). But I also keep an eye on the mechanics, which does have a large play in the feel of a character. I'm not a min/maxer, but I do try to contribute meaningfully to a party.

Last edited:

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
For me, it's all based on character concept (and mood). Sometimes it works out better than others. Usually, when I'm planning to play in a game, I'll get an idea in my head that sounds cool to me, and I'll try to create a character like that...like a halfling druid who hates tall people, or a goblin alchemist with a "liberal" definition of "fire safety."

Unless I'm feeling very cynical, or I know I'll be in a game where I know things will be horrible otherwise, I almost never looking at mechanical advantages/disadvantages of certain character/race combos. I know this would irritate some people I've met who play at PFS games, but then again, I don't generally play with them.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
As a GM I create the world or region and determine which races are available. If a player wants a particular race that I had not placed in a given world, if the player can offer a convincing argument, I might allow it.

For example in my Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting, there are humans, henge, kappa, korobokuru and tengu, that's it - no elves, dwarves, gnomes, or half-anythings. Except for korobokuru, which I still need to design, as far as stats, traits and racial features, if they aren't in the Bestiaries, then I design and publish the resource material myself, as in In the Company of Tengu...

In general I prefer more exotic settings: weird cities with exotic populaitons, jungles, deserts, arctic worlds, underdark worlds, any place that doesn't look like a typical medieval European setting. So I generally have specific races, and never the traditional ones.

As a player, I prefer weird races - catfolk, dhampir, whatever is acceptable in the world, as long as it isn't elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, etc. And never for mechanical reasons, only fluff, backstory and roleplay reasons.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads