• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What musical instruments do you play/own?

Where to start (in descending order of skill) Guitar, bass, vocals, MIDI programming, synth and synth programming, clarinet, flute, mandolin, drums and other noise makers, and banjo. I also own an accordian but its bellows is ripped and needs repair. I've always wanted to try violin but I know I won't practice enough to get really good at it so I restrain myself from purchasing one.

Some friends and I jam once a week when we can (it's been a few months now). I'm also the songwriter of the group.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Guitar and Violin at various points, but these days only when alone. Locked in my room. With the blinds drawn. Making sure no-body else hears.

Shapermc

First Post
I play. . . . . .. . . . The compter.

I like to make electronica - anything from hard house to ambient - music. I use to play a saxa - ma - phone in HS but that my friends is a differnt tale.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Mine?

Voice. (The singing voice is a musical instrument)

Rythmn. (Would you believe there are people out there who find the rythmn in Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard hard? I'm as white as you can get, and I find it no trouble what so ever.)

In both cases I'm an untrained natural talent. In both cases I've been asked if I've had any formal training by people with formal musical backgrounds.

No boast, just fact.:)

Walter_J

First Post
I started studying music in my early teens. Bass is my instrument of choice and I was pretty damn good, although its been a while since I played and I could also write and transpose just about anything. Was in a lot of bands, did some studio work, but that's been a while. I'd really like to get back into playing and writing for myself, but I'm not sure when/if that will happen. My pride and joy is a six-string alverez (neck like a diving board, strings like railroad cable--I love it!)

Before that I had an ol'Cort which I loved to death. I had played the instrument so much I knew where my hand was at just by the feel of the neck against my thumb (or whatever other reason explains how I could play blind drunk and with only two strings and never miss a note. Despite the added versitility, I doubt I could ever do that with the alvarez.) Alas, the neck bowed to the point it could no longer be re-re-re-repaired.

I can see a connection between gaming and other creative pursuits. I was a gamer and a musician long before I started actively writing and I think the experiences (for lack of a better term) do compliment each other. The free time bit is a load of crap, though.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I am not very musically inclined, although, I have now waved my hands in the air so often that it requires little to no effort to not care in the slightest...

der_kluge

Adventurer
Clarinet - 3 years in high school, 4 years of college - of which I got a college scholarship on the clarinet. I've given clarinet lessons.

I also own an oboe, but I'm not as good on it as I am the clarinet. I played oboe and clarinet in a community band a couple of years ago.

I also have a couple of fifes (for the poster earlier, wooden flute=fife). I like playing fife. I can play all kinds of simple tunes on them (so long as I transpose them to D first). I have an ocarina, but can't play it.

I've played a bit of trumpet and trombone, but couldn't play them now to save my life.

I compose music, too - Classical. Written lots of songs, finished hardly any of them. My goal is go back to music as soon as I get through writing all the D20 books that I want to write.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I've played French horn for 25 years, played professionally for 4 and decided it made a better hobby. I also play trumpet/cornet and baritone well, keyboards passably, recorders (sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor is a stretch for little hands) well, and keyboard-ish percussion (xylophone and kin) passably. I don't enjoy composing, but I do like arranging. I can conduct passably and lead rehearsal for small ensembles. And I won't do any of that professionally ever again, thank you.

Outergod

First Post
I started playing guitar when I was about 20 and played for around 5 years before the real world got in the way of fun and I had to start working (constantly).

Right now I own a Ibanez RG740, RG540, An ESP 7 string that would destory the earth if the pickups didn't suck (absolutely zero gain). I'll get them replaced and it should sound very sweet. I was given a very old acoustic (3 metal, 3 nylon strings) for christmas a few years back. It was my first real practice with an acoustic and I love it. Tenacious D never sounded better!

But, before I really started playing guitar I sang. I was in a band at Iowa State University for 4 years. Prog/Heavy metal...ah...the good old days ('88 through '92).

Outergod

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads