• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what musics best to play d+d or warhammer

chaos-princess

First Post
yo people i would like to know what music you play when playing either d+d or warhammer or any other role playing game, does it in any way help you stamina

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Return to the Valley of the Go-Gos, by the Go-Gos.

.... just kiddining ....

We either play techo (DJ John Kelly) or movie soundtracks.

Not sure what my stamina has to do with anything - I can keep up my game as long as I need to on my own, thankyouverymuch. And yes, that double entendre was not entirely accidental. ;)

I prefer to use movie soundtracks. Some of my favorites:
  • Lord of the Rings (all three CDs)
  • Braveheart
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Gladiator
  • Signs
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Harry Potter (both CDs)
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • Starship Troopers (same composer as Conan)
  • End of Days
  • Last of the Mohicans
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Footloose (OK, not really that one...)

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Well...

Can't go wrong with soundtracks. Personally, the soundtracks for Conan the Barbarian, 13th Warrior, and Lord of the Rings (all 3 for the current movies, plus the 1 for Bakshi's animated version) work great. I'd think that the soundtracks for movies such as Braveheart, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, the Last Samurai, Xena, & any other sort of near-genre entertainment (i.e., more historical/fantastical in nature) would work.

Soundtracks for movies/shows of exact/similar genres usually work well. For example, for sci-fi games (including WH40K), Star Wars, Star Trek, & other futuristic, sci-fi soundtracks would work well. For superhero games, soundtracks (or rather, scores) for movies like Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, etc., would work well.

As for more contemporary music, I'd say it more or less depend on the preferences of the group, & to a degree, the mood & theme of the moment in-game. Personally, I'm into heavy metal/rock & roll. Some really loud metal, IMHO, works great for battles--esp. against tough opponents (for example, I always thought that Static-X's "Bled For Days" would be a great background song for any sort of Wolverine/Sabretooth-like feral brawl in a superhero game; Rob Zombie's "Scum of the Earth" seems like a cool "theme song" for a bunch of low-life supervillains or recurring gang-like thugs; etc.).

However, I'd think that for a comedic game (whether it's a game of Paranoia, or just a humorous game/mini-campaign/big campaign), Weird Al music or similar stuff (like South Park soundtracks, Monty Python albums, Dr. Demento, etc.) would work great for adding atmosphere.

But, ultimately, using contempory music is up to you & your fellow players. There may be particular songs that could work, but rarely a full album--it'd more or less be a nice background noise/sound present, & not necessarily adding to the mood of the game.

To me, contemporary music, especially loud music that people in the group really like to listen to outside of gaming, is more distracting rather than contributing to the game.

But that could just be me. Oh yeah, and I forgot 13<sup>th</sup> Warrior -- good call on that soundtrack.

Silvr_Dragon

First Post
It depends on what sort of game I'm playing. Usually for D&D I like listening to Epic Metal (Power Symphony, Dark Moor, etc.).

For BESM, I like listening to Japanese music, such as the NGE soundtrack.

For Miniatures games, I just listen to anything, though mostly metal. Especially since I find the harder, heavier beat sets a better mood.

But really, as long as I'm listening to music, I'm happy.

chaos-princess

First Post
so when playing either warhammer or d+d people like to get the effect of drama and tranqulity, i soposed when you are playing you kinda think it is like a film and the right music at the right time is a good game inhancer

Craer

First Post
Rhapsody, Manowar (Thanks to Blackshirt5 for getting me into them, by the way), Blind Guardian. Some of the music from the various Final Fantasy games has worked.

Remove ads