• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What New Essentials Builds Do You Want To See?

Dausuul

Legend
So, for the Essentials fans out there... what new builds/classes would you like to see?

For me:

A "marshal" fighter build (a.k.a. Essentials warlord). The marshal's abilities would focus on moving allies and enemies around the battlefield, and would include some limited healing/buffing powers--war cries that grant saving throws or temporary hp, that kind of thing. A controller/leader hybrid, like a classic 4E tac-lord.

A "spontaneous caster" wizard build. This would be to the Essentials wizard what the sorceror was to the 3E wizard. You'd have a smaller array of spells, but freedom to choose among them at time of casting.

Last edited:

Almacov

First Post
I was one of the folks out there who really loved the 3.5 Tome of Magic.
As such, I'd like to see

A Full Binder Class, not just a Warlock build. It can build on lore from Arcane Power, but it would be really nice to see something more reflective of the original class again. If part of the shift to essentials was about allowing them the freedom to experiment with different power structures, and including a larger portion of flavour text tied to those powers, the Binder seems like an ideal step.
However, I have my doubts as to whether they'd reach the drippingly juicy awesomeness of the original class flavour-wise, or if they'd have the balls to base their text and imagery off of goetic magic again. Even if they felt the need to put out something tamer though, I'd love to see them give it a shot.
(And yes, one of my favourite 3.5 characters was a Binder.)

A Shadowcaster Reconception by Ari - I have no doubt there will be some good stuff in Heroes of Shadow, but a lot of people would still like to see the power source's potential darkly shine with another full class or two, and this Tome of Magic class was, again, very flavourful. If I trust anyone to do a good job expanding it and helping it reach its full potential, it's still Mouseferatu, who wrote the 3.5 class.

As for other classes/builds, I'd like to see someone attempt a

Divination School for Mages with a bit of a Leader spin put on it.
I think someone could get really creative with it. (Moreso, I think they'd have to, to do it properly.)

And I'm also curious to see what

Essentials Psionics Classes would look like, now that they've learned a few lessons and are even more free to experiment with structure.

Rydac

Explorer
A bard.
Would also like to see the monk as well as the psionic classes. They're a bit different from the rest of the core classes in design, so I'd like to see if they can pull that off in the essentials format.....not that I really want to play a monk or psionic, but I have friends that will :)

Reallly like to see more cleric domains and mage schools too

Mentat55

First Post
I will echo an Essentialized warlord, I didn't think of a "marshal" fighter, but that is a pretty interesting idea -- they've already established that builds within a class can transcend role with the knight/slayer and hunter/scout, so why not continue down this road?

I would like to see a dark pact, vestige pact, and sorcerer-king pact hexblade.

I would like to see an abjurer and diviner.

I'll also echo the desire to see more cleric domains.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I'd like to see expansion of more thematic Cleric builds. Neither Sun, Storm nor Earth really work for say Erathis, Avandra or the Raven Queen for example.

pclaw8

First Post
I don't know the binder class... I would like to see a summoning warlock that is a striker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

zoroaster100

First Post
I want to see the new design for the warlord, but I think that is already slated for February. Second to that, I most want to see Essentials-design psion and ardent builds.

drothgery

First Post
I want the Bladesinger to be a Cha-primary/Int or Dex secondary arcane striker, not an 'essentialized' swordmage.

Class Compendium 2 - reprint the bard and the PHB1/2 builds of the HofK classes
Class Compendium 3 - reprint swordmage, artificer, psion, barbarian, and monk

A sorcerer build that's the arcane equivalent of the slayer; the simple blaster mage.

A Race Compendium - give the remaining PC-targeted races two stat choices if they don't already have them

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
A Full Binder Class, not just a Warlock build. It can build on lore from Arcane Power, but it would be really nice to see something more reflective of the original class again. If part of the shift to essentials was about allowing them the freedom to experiment with different power structures, and including a larger portion of flavour text tied to those powers, the Binder seems like an ideal step.
However, I have my doubts as to whether they'd reach the drippingly juicy awesomeness of the original class flavour-wise, or if they'd have the balls to base their text and imagery off of goetic magic again. Even if they felt the need to put out something tamer though, I'd love to see them give it a shot.
(And yes, one of my favourite 3.5 characters was a Binder.)

Rasa was a Changeling Binder. She was mute, presumed dumb, pale and lifeless like a corpse....when she wasn't inhabited by the spirit of some otherworldly entity. She was a doorway for them, an empty vessel for them to fill. Some say she was created by them, out of clay, like the original human, and that they were all competing over her, since she would be the forebearer of an entire race, restoring the Vestige to which she became bound to reality.

That character doesn't exactly work the same way in 4e.

But I wouldn't expect it.

There might be a warlord. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bard, a druid, a barbarian....all the old school classes....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads