• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What non-4e would you play if there was no OGL at all?

If no OGL alternative existed, what would you play now?

• 4e albeit reluctantly

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Previous edition of DnD with used books

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • GURPS

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • HARP

• Savage World

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • Runequest

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • BRP Call of Cthulhu

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • HERO

• Something else

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • Quit RPGs altogether

Votes: 1 0.9%

Voadam

Legend
Stick with 3e, despite no new products coming out I have plenty to handle more gaming than I expect to fit into my lifetime and plenty of old ones I'd still like to get sometime.

If not then I have tons of older edition D&D stuff that would still last me more than a lifetime and I was happily playing 2e before 3e came along.

I might switch to Red Book Basic and Blue Book Expert set for my rules base though with some additions from 1e/2e/ and hackmaster thrown in. I prefer the ability score system much better than the bell shaped bonuses of the 18% style of the later editions.

GURPS is another option, I like the xp to character points system better than D&D tracking of slain monsters and loot. There are some options to D&Dize GURPS that I would pick up if I went this route.

Call of Cthulhu and Elric! are similar, I like their xp systems as well and their BRP rule system is close to D&D and both games have elements I like.

I would also consider Ars Magica for its magic system, though I never delved into its combat mechanics enough to get a sense of whether I'd like to actually play it.

4e, I own the DMG but not the PH yet. 4e seems complicated enough that I would want to own and be familiar with PH rules before playing, so it would not be my choice of games at the moment. As there is no 3e style srd buying a PH would be a prerequisite for me to consider playing.

I'm not sure I understand why the desire for a long-running campaign overrides the desire to own and read many gaming books. Regardless of the system I'm playing in, I enjoy borrowing elements from many systems. No matter what dice are being rolled at my table, I value the creativity and imaginative nature of *all* RPGs.

For that reason, I'll play 4e. I'll play Savage Worlds. I'll play M&M... etc., etc., etc.

Voadam

Legend
What I said about the OGL is from what I did read years ago on some internet forum or newsletter. What they said is that the d20 OGL had been worded in such a way that some people discovered they in fact didn't need to use it specifically for making d20 compatible products. They could use it to make games based on the OGL, but without d20 logo and any comment that it would be compatible with d20. What I did read is that this hadn't been foreseen by WotC who only wanted to enable d20 compatible products, not C&C or True20 stuff.

Regardless of whether "out there" not so compatible variants were contemplated, the survival of unbranded 3e D&D products after WotC or later owners decided to move on even if they decided to scorch the earth behind them was a conscious design goal of the OGL and d20 STL.

It was explicitly to prevent the death of D&D and insure 3e game stuff could legally be published and available by tying the srd rules to the irrevocable OGL and only the branding to the d20 STL.

Crothian

First Post
I would be running Changeling. And it doesn't matter if the OGL and 4e did or did not happen. I'm running Changeling the dreaming, a game that came out before the Event. :D

Switchblade

First Post
Ars Magica
Shadowrun
Starwars d6
Deadlands
Dark Herecy
Paranoia
Legend of the 5 rings
loss of d20 systems is no great loss when there is so much cool stuff out there to chose from, and these are just the games I own.

Belorin

Explorer
If I wasn't tempted by 4E and 3x no longer held my interest then I would go with these games;

Compleat Arduin/Arduin Eternal
Call of Cthulhu
Mutants & Masterminds
Shadowrun
Bureau 13

These are the games we fall back on when D&D fails to generate enthusiasm.

Bel

I'm not sure I understand why the desire for a long-running campaign overrides the desire to own and read many gaming books. Regardless of the system I'm playing in, I enjoy borrowing elements from many systems. No matter what dice are being rolled at my table, I value the creativity and imaginative nature of *all* RPGs.

For that reason, I'll play 4e. I'll play Savage Worlds. I'll play M&M... etc., etc., etc.

If anything, we know from the past few months that people just have different ways to have fun with their games. ;)

I like reading new game books, but I still don't do it very often. But on the other hand, each of our players also DMs his own campaign, and they are only as long-running as the adventure path allows (and I've lost sight how long that is? 1-2 years per campaign?)

chromeraven

First Post
Well, my go to backups would be: 7th Sea, Changeling, Dark Heresy, Feng Shui, Legend of the Five Rings, Shadowrun, Warhammer FRP... and that's just the stuff in my bookshelf.

Considering my group's resources, any of the old school WoD settings, Deadlands, Agoné, Macross/Robotech, Rifts, HERO, GURPS... we're not hurting for choices.

edit: how could I forget L5R?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads