What Non-D&D TSR RPGs Needs to be Revived?

Reynard

Legend
TSR made a number of RPGs over the years, and none of them besides D&D have a currently published version. So, which TSR RPG would you like to see revived? How? In what form?

I want to answer "Gamma World" because I love Gamma World, and miss it, but my real answer is definitely Alternity -- and not the bland one that is currently out, the actual Alternity, including the phenomenal Star*Drive setting. Clean it up just a touch but leave the system mostly alone, please.

What do you want to see revived?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I want to answer "Gamma World" because I love Gamma World, and miss it, but my real answer is definitely Alternity -- and not the bland one that is currently out, the actual Alternity, including the phenomenal Star*Drive setting. Clean it up just a touch but leave the system mostly alone, please.
That new version of Alternity is really baffling to me too. Like, it doesn't have any of the settings for the old game or share the mechanics. So...it's just a generic sci-fi RPG that uses the name? Pretty perplexing. What's the point?

As to what I would like to see that they own?

Dragonquest. I hate the old versions of the game (really math heavy). But would like to see a new take on it.

Didn't they acquire the New Infinities stuff? So, Cyborg Commando. I would like a version of Cyborg Commando where I can actually shoot lasers out of my fingers (as depicted on the cover) and isn't just filled with population tables of Cleveland. Also, a playable system would be nice. The old game provided two (the basic and advanced) and both sucked really bad.

The Star Frontiers fan community deserves a reward for their loyalty IMO. Even a straight physical reprint would be appreciated, I think. Maybe you skip the dice and crayon, but the maps and counters are mandatory, they're part of the charm. :) A modernized version that mashed up the mechanics of AD, KH, and Zebulon's Guide could work as well, the nostalgia factor is strong with that game.

Alternity's fine (and the settings were great) but I'm not sure it'd sell to more folks than Star Frontiers and it would be facing off against more modern designs like Cepheus without as much nostalgia power behind it as older games that lasted longer. OTOH, it would be cheaper to do reprints of without the (relatively) complex components shoved in all the TSR boxed set games. Something to be said for simple hardcovers and a few modules.

Much as it pains me, I can't see anything else in their back catalog that would be feasible to do a revival in the face of modern designs competing for the same niches. Prohibition gangsters, gonzo post-apoc on or off a generation ship, espionage, Wild West, Conan, even Indiana Jones style adventures - there's already perfectly good options out there, and I don't think any of the TSR versions have the quality or nostalgia appeal to be worth doing without being rewritten so heavily they'd be ghosts of their old selves.

Of course, if anyone wants to champion a new edition of Rocky & Bullwinkle (complete with hand puppets) I've love to hear the reasoning. Sheer irony value, maybe? :)

Things on my "Nope" list for various reasons:

No Empire of the Petal Throne unless there's no way at all for anyone connected to Barker to profit from it. WotC probably doesn't have the rights anyway.

Similarly, Buck Rogers XXVC would be a pretty strong peer to Alternity or Star Frontiers, but the IP rights for Buck are tied up with Lorraine Williams' family (hence her fascination with forcing TSR to use it) and I think most folks would rather not give them more money. There are already versions with the serial numbers filed off floating around fringes of the OSR community anyway.

Marvel Super Heroes stuff would be a huge draw for many people but let's be serious, that license would cost a fortune and either be hopelessly outdated (for a reprint) or almost unrecognizable (for a updated version that covered modern Marvel) - and of course Marvel has an RPG at the moment, for better or worse.

Dragonquest. I hate the old versions of the game (really math heavy). But would like to see a new take on it.
I'm as much of a fan of SPI as anyone, but the game barely had a setting, and if you didn't like the mechanics (which is what the surviving fan base seems to love about it) I don't understand the appeal. What am I missing?

Heck, they've probably got the rights to Universe too, and that had more published setting material than DQ thanks to Ares with about equally clunky mechanics.
Didn't they acquire the New Infinities stuff? So, Cyborg Commando.
News to me if they did. They company was forced into bankruptcy by its own investors trying to get some kind of money back, and AFAIK the only way WotC could have ended up with CC would be buying it during the asset sale. Most of the company's value came from the Gord books during its lifetime, and I wouldn't be shocked if the alt-universe Traveller novel trilogy was the second most profitable thing that got to print. CC was a legendary flop, and I don't think I've ever heard who wound up with the rights when the dust settled.

Going OT a bit, what I'd love to see from the TSR days are unrealized concepts that inexplicably didn't happen.

Where's the D&D campaign setting based on the world of Minaria from the Divine Right wargame? They may have lost/sold the rights, but if not they already printed a short book's worth of fluffy setting articles in early Dragon, and bundling all that with some modern RPG crunch would make it a relatively simple project.

Dragon Dice was sold off (I think) but licensing the setting for a D&D campaign would probably be pretty easy for WotC. There's multiple novels' worth of background development already done, and modifying modern D&D to fit the game's unique take on magical power interactions would give it a unique flavor. Loads of oddball new species and monsters, too.

Sadly, I don't think a D&D Wormy book will ever be forthcoming given the creator's death, but it would certainly have been interesting to see. Just the artwork alone would have been worth the purchase price.

Or how about a Star Frontiers- or Alternity-based (whichever you bring back) setting for Antares-9 from the Revolt On Antares microgame? That had plenty of flavor for something so tiny. There's already a rules-light RPG floating around on the purple site, but imagine what it could do with WotC's name behind it.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I'm as much of a fan of SPI as anyone, but the game barely had a setting, and if you didn't like the mechanics (which is what the surviving fan base seems to love about it) I don't understand the appeal. What am I missing?

Heck, they've probably got the rights to Universe too, and that had more published setting material than DQ thanks to Ares with about equally clunky mechanics.
Yes. You might be right here. All the DQ guys I know are into doing the Pythagorean theorem to determine their starting hit points.
News to me if they did. They company was forced into bankruptcy by its own investors trying to get some kind of money back, and AFAIK the only way WotC could have ended up with CC would be buying it during the asset sale. Most of the company's value came from the Gord books during its lifetime, and I wouldn't be shocked if the alt-universe Traveller novel trilogy was the second most profitable thing that got to print. CC was a legendary flop, and I don't think I've ever heard who wound up with the rights when the dust settled.
I think I might be thinking of of Dangerous Journeys/Mythus. So, yeah you're right.

All the DQ guys I know are into doing the Pythagorean theorem to determine their starting hit points.
That's SPI gamers for you IME.

Mind you, I'd love to run a D&D campaign in the Valley of the Sword setting from their Swords & Sorcery wargame myself. That one's up there with Minaria/Divine Right for asking "where is the RPG for this?" :)
I think I might be thinking of of Dangerous Journeys/Mythus.
AFAIK they do have the rights, with TSR getting them from Gygax and GDW following the infamous legal settlement and WotC inheriting them during the '97 buyout of TSR. But it was a pretty bad flop for GDW even ignoring the legal mess that contributed to both companies' collapses. At this point it represents a lackluster design from thirty-ish years ago (and arguably with the blood of GDW on its metaphorical hands) not a nostalgic game by a famous designer. Can't see that one rising from the grave, honestly.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
AFAIK they do have the rights, with TSR getting them from Gygax and GDW following the infamous legal settlement and WotC inheriting them during the '97 buyout of TSR. But it was a pretty bad flop for GDW even ignoring the legal mess that contributed to both companies' collapses. At this point it represents a lackluster design from thirty-ish years ago (and arguably with the blood of GDW on its metaphorical hands) not a nostalgic game by a famous designer. Can't see that one rising from the grave, honestly.
Oh yeah, agreed. I should have been more clear, I don't mean that I want to see Mythus come back just that I confused what happened with the rights between Mythus and Cyborg Commando for some reason.

Remove ads