• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What non-european settings have/do you used?

What non-european based culture regions have you set games in?

• None - western european only

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Eastern European (Rusia/Slavic)

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Africa -sub-Sahara ( Nyambe?))

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Middle East - central Asia, Nth Africa (Zakhara etc)

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Asia -central and far east (Kara-Tur, Rokugan)

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • India

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • South America (Maztica)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • North America

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Polynesia

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Other - please specify (includes 'bizzare/alien' cultures)

Votes: 4 10.5%

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay the vast majority of RPG settings for the fantasy genre are based on Western Europe (ranging from Dark Ages to 15th century) or twisted variations there of

Have/do you ever actively campaigned in an area based on some other culture region ?

Which

green slime

First Post
This is not a multi-choice poll.

And Australia is not included. ;)

So I would have chosen Australia, Oriental, Middle east, and african.

But the longest lasting has been FR/GH = standard fare Western European...

Holy Bovine

First Post
I haven't set any games in anything but a Western Eurpoean setting as yet but I would really like to set one in Eastern/Slavic Europe or the Orient. Both have as rich a history as Western Europe and I feel could really be exciting and different.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I had an idea for a jungle-based campaign that would use the old adventure I1, Dwellers of the Forbidden City, as the crux. There were also two interesting adventures set in the same jungle area in old back-issues of Dungeon magazine, "The Leopard Men" and "The Elephants' Graveyard" if I remember correctly. The author was interested in making more adventures in an African-style setting.

Now that I'm learning the Forgotten Realms I think it would be really cool to situate such a campaign in Chult. Robert Howard wrote some Conan stories that really capture the experience of being on a jungle frontier to me.

Agemegos

Explorer
I've just started up a new 'Gehennum' campaign with players who haven't been there before. One of them (accurately enough) said "It's as though someone hypnotised the inhabitants of the East Indes and told them to act like ancient Greeks".

Do you count the ancient Greeks are European or Middle Eastern? Do you count the East Indes as Far East?

Other places in my world are like Iceland except for being in the tropics, like Hawaii except for having the avuncular pattern of familial authority and kings who marry their sisters to gods, and just plain weird.

This ought to have been a multi-answer poll.

LizardWizard

Explorer
Lazybones said:
I had an idea for a jungle-based campaign that would use the old adventure I1, Dwellers of the Forbidden City, as the crux. There were also two interesting adventures set in the same jungle area in old back-issues of Dungeon magazine, "The Leopard Men" and "The Elephants' Graveyard" if I remember correctly. The author was interested in making more adventures in an African-style setting.
Now that I'm learning the Forgotten Realms I think it would be really cool to situate such a campaign in Chult. Robert Howard wrote some Conan stories that really capture the experience of being on a jungle frontier to me.
Oh, I adore jungle settings. I've read all these adventures (and the Conan stories), and I was deeply impressed.
At present, I'm working on a large adventure that is set in a vast rainforest...

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
All Aracana Unearthed games are arguably Indian games.

My on-again-off-again d20 Modern game takes place in the US.

Other settings were used for only an adventure or two.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads