• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What not yet published concept are you hoping for?

fba827

Adventurer
This is mostly a thread about preferences and anticipation. No right or wrong answer, just your own tastes...

Based on comments seen on the upcoming products threads, I thought I'd ask this question ...

What not-yet-published-in-4e PC race (goliath, gnoll, gnome, kobold, etc), class (swordmage, bard, necromancer, etc), or concept (arcane striker, psionic source, etc) are you most eagerly waiting for?

It doesn't have to be anything that has even been announced and could in fact just be a 'wow, i think i'd enjoy that' ... I was just curious..

Me, personally:
1) Druid (always been a favorite of mine, less so because of wildshape more so for spellcasting, so I'm not sure this will be exactly what I hope it will be but I still want to see it)
2) Primitive-tribe spellcaster type (for my reasons stated with druid. The shaman may fit this. but stuff like entangle and what not, a touch of healing, and a couple of zap spells)
3) Divine Striker (i don't know why, but once I saw it mentioned in some interview, I have been interested in seeing it)
4) elemental power source (I always like "elementalist" type wizards so I think I'd like to see whatever they do with this power source)

Necromancer.

My Wizard does a passable job at simulating it with the occasional Warlock multiclass feat but I would love to have a full class that really captures the soul-eating character.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
I'm really looking forward to the Swordmage, since it's my favorite character archetype.

Other than that, necromancer and summoner. I especially want to know how they're going to pull off summoning powers.

Gloombunny

First Post
A nature-themed controller doing things like entangling the enemy in vines, pushing them around with gusts of wind, zapping them with lightning, opening the earth under their feet to swallow them, and so forth. Without any shapeshifting, or at least no in-combat shapeshifting. I don't really care if it's called druid or something else.

Eyada

First Post
Psionics. Hopefully this edition provides the framework necessary to create Psionic classes that feel unique, but that don't rely on all sorts of troublesome little subsystems that don't play well with all the other classes. Psionic casters in 3.x felt too much like "Take Wizard/Sorc spell, replace word 'magic' with 'psionic', rinse, repeat".

Gestalt rules. My group only has 2 characters, and we relied heavily on Gestalt in 3.x to make up for lack of numbers. Plus, it will help soothe some of the discontent my group has with the...erm, "limited" multiclassing in 4E.

Also Swordmage. Eldritch Knight was always a favorite of mine.

theonlyjett

First Post
The powers are so balanced and easily interchangable. I want to see and class with summoning powers to see how to make or flavor whatever other class I want.

For instance, if we could get rules for a Summoner type wizard, just summoning certain monsters and what not, then I'd love to just make a Necromancer summoner type who basically only summons undead.

Like others, I'm really looking forward to the Swordmage as the warrior-mage, gish, etc. archetype is my favorite.

Along the same lines, I would love to see an arcane striker that could mix melee and range and was a little more generic in flavor than the warlock. Probably something like an arcane duelist or whatever.

I have to say, if other magical leaders turn out like the cleric, I may very well be looking forward to other leader classes as they come out.

Finally, I too have always loved elemental themed stuff, so I'm really looking forward to the elemental power source.

Kesh

First Post
1) Gnoll. For obvious reasons. I've been coming up with some homebrew stuff, but I'd love to see a Dragon article on par with the Warforged one.

2) Psionics. Yeah, most people hate 'em, but I love the concept. 4e psionics needs to divest itself of the sci-fi themes and stick to fantasy: channelers of inner will to control the mind and body.

3) Grafts. These were never used well in 3e, but have great thematic possibilities. I could homebrew them as magic items, similar to warforged attachments, but I'd rather see an official version.

4) Red Steel/Savage Coast campaign setting. Again, probably won't happen, but I love this swashbuckling fantasy setting.

James McMurray

First Post
I'd like (in no particular order)

• Summoner: I'd like a playable summoning class, geared towards hanging in the back and creating mini-strikers, mini-defenders, and really-mini-leaders. I'm cool with the critter they summon using up the summoner's actions.
  • Shape shifter: Whether it's wild shape or something similar, a PC shape shifter would be nice to have. they could have shape shifting bonuses be slightly better than magic item bonuses for that level, countered by an inability to use those items. For instance, get an AC bonus equal to Leather +3, but since you can't wear armor, it won't go higher than that. It's need close control to make sure that freed up money isn't too powerful, but I think it could be done.
  • Monk, or at least a superior weapon proficiency called "Kung Fu"
  • Two-handed striker (barbarian would work)
  • Wishes, generic enough to work like they did pre-3e, with strong guidelines on how to adjudicate them. There's an old Dragon article from 1e or 2e they could cannibalize. At a bare minimum it needs to stress that wishes are not an excuse to screw the wisher, unless the situation warrants it (like being granted a wish by an evil spirit they've forced into servitude and trapped in a ring for the express purposes of extracting wishes from it).

Remove ads