• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What on earth does "video-gamey" mean?

Blustar

First Post
CountPopeula said:
I think I figured out what this means.

"4e is video-gamey" means it's mechanically simplified and uses some video game jargon blatantly. Calling a necklace a "neck slot item" feels like a video game term to me, for example. But I think it mainly refers to all classes having the same number of the same kind of abilities, only differentiated by effect, not mechanics.

"3e is too video-gamey" means that the acquisition of new abilities across every class is too linear. Also, the formulas were made more intuitive and less arcane (defense increases, no THAC0, saves based on abilities and not sources).

Yeah, there you go. it basically means "I don't like certain mechanical changes"

I think it just means that it reminds them of a video game, ie..World of Warcraft.

3.5 ed always reminded me of a boardgame because of the detailed combat with minis. I mean I always thought of it as a hybrid boardgame /RPG. I could see why that alienated some "old-school" players but since I love boardgames as much as RPG's I thought it was cool. And yes there are certain aspects of 3.5 that reminded me of video-games I'd played at the time.

Now 4.0 really crosses the barrier and the "video-game " feel is now front and center. Again I love video games so this isn't neccessarily a bad thing for me but for other players this can be a real turn off.

What makes it feel videogamey to me is that I played WoW for a long time and it really has borrowed a lot of terminology and gameplay aspects from MMO games, like PC having a role, controlling mobs, strike mobs, powers are kinda gamey especially the Warlock. Banish to the void??? If you guys can't see this , you're not being honest with yourselves. Be honest people! Now I think since WoW is a video game and a very popular one people are naturally equating "videogamey" with "like WoW".

When I describe 4.0 D&D to my brother when he asks, I know WoW-like is one of the very first things I will say becuase he plays WoW and it's a point of reference we both have. I think he will be intrigued with the idea of PC's having roles and such and be interested.

I really don't know yet if 4.0 will be good or not as I've not played it yet but hope to soon. I do know that I will be keeping 3.5 because it plays so differently and is a great game in its own way. I hope 4.0 ends up being a great game so I can add another one to my list of games I can play when the mood strikes me...

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Blustar said:
What makes it feel videogamey to me is that I played WoW for a long time and it really has borrowed a lot of terminology and gameplay aspects from MMO games, like PC having a role, controlling mobs, strike mobs, powers are kinda gamey especially the Warlock. Banish to the void??? If you guys can't see this , you're not being honest with yourselves. Be honest people! Now I think since WoW is a video game and a very popular one people are naturally equating "videogamey" with "like WoW".

Most of this already came from D&D. Wizards and druids did battlefield control. Rogues and sorcerers would unload absurd quantities of damage into monsters. And, honestly, cross-pollination is perfectly fine.

Now, I will say that after last night, when my rogue unleashed a daily, then burned an action point for another action and then popped an encounter attack, *that* felt like I should've had an anima banner display. But that's Exalted.

Brad

AllisterH

First Post
I think people need to play more games.

As others in this thread have pointed out, 4E is WAY closer to a tactical RPG like Disgaea than it is to WoW.

Are we fans of Disgaea and La Pucelle Tactics so miniscule on this board? You guys don't know what you're missing :D

WayneLigon said:
I think the reason that the 'video gamey' tag really gets under people's skin and makes them especially combative is that not all that long ago the phrase equated to 'childish'.
Yes. It comes of as an insult.
"You're not really playing a role-playing game, you know that, eh? I am _so_ above you and your childish games..."

Both sides are silly, of course.
I mean, why should I be insulted by that?
"Okay, so you are saying that I am just pretending to be pretending to be an elf, while you are _really_ pretending to be an elf?"
And why should anyone be actually interesting in throwing an insult?

Off course, it might also not actually be meant as an insult. If someone feels it's like a video-game, well, then that's his feeling. Feelings are subjective. Trying to use objective reasoning to eliminate a feeling is not necessarily guaranteed for failure, but it's certainly not something I'd bet any money on.
Well, it worked for me and Deep Space Nine - didn't like it at first, read "Making of Deep Space Nine" by Judtih and Garfield Reeves, and I came to appreciate all the details. Hey - actual experience with D&D also showed me that maybe - just maybe - an "ablative" hit point system isn't as stupid as it sounds after coming from a *cough* realistic *cough* system like Shadowrun. ;)

My take on video games and "real" role playing games is this:
Both are games. That's why there are similarities. There are many universal problems of game design. It's no surprise that some solutions look similar.

But don't let this fool you into believing they are all the same. Using the 3E or 4E Core Rulebooks as a base for a computer game doesn't necessarily give you the actual feel of sitting at the game table.

What looks similar on paper can be very different depending on whether you use it in a computer game with scripted events and a 3D graphics engine, and 500 other players just on your server, or with a DM, 3 other players and your imagination.
Hell, pick the 3E Core rulebooks and play a game as a member of any groups of the following posters:
- With Celebrim
- With Raven Crowking
- With hong
- With pemerton
- With me.
There will be so many differences. Sometimes you like it, sometimes you'll hate it. And it's all the same rules.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Blustar said:
Ummm, are you serious when you state that Tolkien has been regulated to history?
First, the term you are looking for is "relegated", not "regulated". Sorry for the nitpick, but it is important for the discussion...

Did I use the term "relegated" anywhere in my last post? I said they were products of history, not that they don't exist anymore. You can't talk about Tolkien's works without discussing the various things that influenced him. Tolkien was a scholar of lingusitics, was famous for his writings about the legends of Beowulf (in particular, he was the first person to look at it as a story crafted by a storyteller, rather than something which has always existed), and the Lord of the Rings trolgy was crafted around the time of WWII (which certainly had some influence, even if Tolkien asserts that his story is not meant to be an allegory for the war). Perhaps even more significantly, Tolkien wrote his stories in an era where pretty much the only fantasy writing came in the form of fairy tales (both new and old), old myths, and re-imagined folktales. Many characters in Tolkien's works, such as the character of Tom Bombadil, show the immense influence of those kinds of stories on his works.

In the half-century since Tolkien wrote his stories, the very idea of "fantasy" has changed beyond recognition. Fantasy got mixed up with the feel of the "pulps" and science-fiction, fused with countless different ideas and inventions, and slowly began to change. In no small part this is because Tolkien paved the way for "fantasy" to be detached from myth and folktale and transformed into something far more rooted in the personal imagination of the author. Along the way, we get influences from other kinds of myths and legends. Tolkien was rooted in English folktales, Norse myth, and Christian beliefs, but in recent years countless ideas taken from all over the world has seeped into English-language fantasy and diluted those influences completely.

To put it into simple terms, we have gone from the days where C. S. Lewis populated the magic world of Narnia with the talking animals of folktales and the creatures of Greek myth, and entered into a world where D&D is populated by a thousand creatures that never even existed until a game designer put it down on paper.

If you want to see this change in the meaning of fantasy yourself, just look at the movie adaptations of the Lord of the Rings. They have omitted a lot of the "old fantasy" elements of Tolkien's works (like Tom Bombadil), and added in a lot of "new fantasy" elements (like Legolas's superhuman feats). This was done so that the Lord of the rings would appeal to more modern sensibilities.

Are you also implying the same for Leiber, Howard and the like?
Well, for them, yes. They have been relegated for the past. I am aware that Howard (I think) is the creator of Conan, his creation only is alive today because of countless re-imaginings across the years, in a variety of forms. Howard's vision is kept alive because of comic books and recent videogame adaptations, not because of his books. For the rest of them, I don't even have the slightest clue who they are. In all of the time I have wandered libraries and bookstores, I have never even once seen a book written by Leiber, Vance, or Moorcock. Not once. They are dead to modern audiences, and their works have not stood the test of time anywhere near as well as Tolkien.

I think you are seriously over-inflating the popularity of modern fantasy. I consider myself a fantasy afficionado and I still havn't read anything modern that I would say regulates the great fantasy authors to history. Actually most popular fantasy is drivel and bubblegum. Sans a few select authors.
90% of everything that has ever been written is drivel and bubblegum. That is hardly an argument. Anyways, you are making a severe logical mistake by equating "fantasy" with "written books". These days, some of the most popular forms of fantasy take the form of television shows, movies, comic books, videogames, and, well, D&D.

If you think Vance, Leiber, and Moorcock have had even a tenth the influence on modern fantasy as Gygax did, you are deluding yourself. Gygax took his influence from them, but he changed it and made it his own, and passed on something uniquely his. That is what has been carried on into mainstream fantasy, not the old works themselves. If anyone relegated those authors to history, it was E. Gary Gygax himself, along with the many other creators of D&D.

Also, if you think Vance, Leiber, and Moorcock have more influence on modern fantasy than the Final Fantasy series of videogames, or even the movie Star Wars, you are similarly deluding yourself.

The best selling fantasy movie (and most popular) is Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit will sure to be a blockbuster too. I don't think great fantasy will ever get regulated to history. I mean I still think the Odyssey and The Illiad are the greatest fantasy stories ever written.
Well, they have stood the test of time. Again, I never said that Tolkien was relegated to history. He stands up there with Shakespeare as far as I am concerned. But fantasy has changed since the days of Homer, it has changed since the days of Shakrespeare, and it has changed since the days of Tolkien. None of those three can be equated as sharing the same kind of "fantasy", and works of the modern day have changed, and will continue to change.

Can you list this newer popular fantasy influencing D&D that I seem to be missing...
Older versions of D&D, Star Wars, Tolkien, modern fantasy works (including D&D novels), Magic the Gathering, Hong Kong action movies, fighting videogames (Soul Calibur was explicitly listed as an influence on the Tome of Battle), videogame RPGs and Tactical RPGs, the Japanese Tokusatsu genre, superhero comic books, shonen fantasy action anime, old myths and legends, and any particular bit of creativity and inspiration ever known to a 4E designer. Seriously, it must be a really long list.

Ginnel

Explorer
AllisterH said:
I think people need to play more games.

As others in this thread have pointed out, 4E is WAY closer to a tactical RPG like Disgaea than it is to WoW.

Are we fans of Disgaea and La Pucelle Tactics so miniscule on this board? You guys don't know what you're missing :D

Quote for the win :) hmm Tiefling Warlord for Laharl genius idea!! and Prinnys Dude!!

Prinny minion level 1
"An odd penguin shaped creature with an apron during combat it whips out deadly serrated daggers and bombs to aid it in battle"

A Prinny is a minion if an attack causes it damage it dies see, Prinny Explosion

AC 16
Fort 11
Ref 17
Will 10

Prinny knife slash: at-will melee
"the prinny slashes at you with its serrated dagger"
Target 1 creature
Attack +7 Vs AC

Prinny Bomb: at will range
"the Prinny heaves a bomb and lobs it forward its fuse fizzing away"
Target 1 creature
ranged 10
Attack +4 Vs reflex/ Hit 1D4 damage + 2 fire damage

Prinny Combo
"the prinny sends a barrage of whirling blades and bombs at its chosen target"
Target Ranged 5
Attack +5 Vs Reflex/ Hit 1D6 + 1D6 fire

Prinny Explosion
immeadiate reaction
close burst 1
Attack +6 Vs Reflex/ Hit 1D6 + 4 damage

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
TwinBahamut said:
If you think Vance, Leiber, and Moorcock have had even a tenth the influence on modern fantasy as Gygax did, you are deluding yourself. Gygax took his influence from them, but he changed it and made it his own, and passed on something uniquely his. That is what has been carried on into mainstream fantasy, not the old works themselves.
As you say, the influence of Vance, Leiber, and Moorcock was huge on D&D, which in turn influenced many other works and so on down the line. Although their current audience is much smaller than the plethora of offspring, their influence is nonetheless enormous!

Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.
-blarg

Zogmo

First Post
TwinBahamut said:
If you think Vance, Leiber, and Moorcock have had even a tenth the influence on modern fantasy as Gygax did, you are deluding yourself. Gygax took his influence from them, but he changed it and made it his own, and passed on something uniquely his. That is what has been carried on into mainstream fantasy, not the old works themselves. If anyone relegated those authors to history, it was E. Gary Gygax himself, along with the many other creators of D&D.

Also, if you think Vance, Leiber, and Moorcock have more influence on modern fantasy than the Final Fantasy series of videogames, or even the movie Star Wars, you are similarly deluding yourself.

Here is the deal. You make a post with links to the interviews of your modern fantasy creators where they say they were influenced/inspired by Gygax/D&D and I'll make a post listing my links to the hundreds of books and films being put out today (and in the past) that lists their influences. None of mine will be Gygax. They will all be authors (dead and alive) of books and a ton of them will list the authors you have listed in your thread here as being not an influence.

You admit to not knowing these authors writings and histories but you still say they are not as influential as Gygax/D&D. How do you know this if you don't know their history? I say you are way out of touch with the creators of your "modern fantasy". I bet a bunch of them will list a number of authors on my list of influential authors.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I think every edition of D&D has been greatly influenced by the times in which it was released.

With 4E, I think WoW has had a perceptible and great influence on the way it was designed - and computer games generally have also had a great influence on its overall design.

If you wish to use (or take) this assessment as being in the pejorative - go ahead.

I don't. I DO think that 4E is videogamey. Very much so.

However, I've gone into 4E with an open mind and let go my past fleeting desires for a simulationist rules system. I think that standing naked in the sunlight and assessed purely for being what it is - the arbitrary rules in 4th edition are far more palatable to a player if they are just accepted as being a gameist approach to make a game more fun.

In my view: it's not the rules; it's the mindset of the player who approaches those rules that makes "videogamey" a pejorative term.

Lastly - and I think this is an exceptionally fair assessment: 4th edition READS more "videogamey" than it PLAYS. Which is not to say that the impact of WoW is not real and significant, simply that the influence of WoW tends to leap off the page as you read it more than when you are playing it.

Brennin Magalus

First Post
blargney the second said:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Seriously - video games are a HUGE and diverse collection. How is calling something "video-gamey" supposed to mean anything? You might as well just be calling it "thingy" for all the specificity it entails.
-blarg

Lessee,

A limited number of simplistic, combat oriented powers? Check.

A limited number of monsters that are the same except for being tougher as the game progresses. Check.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads