• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What online tools should I build for you?

Oni

First Post
Might be a bit much, but there is one digital tool I crave more than anything...

Imagine a digital white board. The DM logs in and draws whatever he wants, or puts up a picture of a battle mat. The players upload pics of their characters, probably formated as some sort of "token".

The DM and characters can move their minis wherever they choose, and when done, just log off. All the data is stored on the site.

A side bar contains a dice roller app. Rolls are recorded and stored along with the map.

This would be amazingly useful for DMs running play-by-email or play-by-post games. The ability to turn the map into a jpeg for forum linking would also be nice.

Think something like Maptools, but all stored on the net so people don't have to get together at appointed times. You log in, roll your dice, move your minis, and log out.

This would be wickedawesomesupercool!

Definitely campaign management/tracking.

I've mapped stuff out for something like that and fiddled a bit, but there's just too many other programming projects on my plate (day job and hobby) that I doubt I'd get to even start it until 2010 or 11.

Ideally, you could import a map (say an overland view of a continent), and then mark points on that map for close ups (say, a city), and then mark points on that map for additional close ups - basically an n-tier sorta thing to use the lingo. Please at each level you can associate notes with certain points.

Parallel to that would be an adventure tracker - either on the low end just a campaign journal/blog, or on the higher end have the ability to track specific encounters, XP, loot. Plus lists of NPCs, organizations, etc. that could al be associated with adventures, and all of those in turn associated with the maps.

I think I got as far as a data schema for at least the non-map portion. If there is any interest I can see about digging it up and being more specific in what I picture.

Dalan

First Post
This is exactly the tool I want as well. I want to play 4e, but my old group is scattered all over hell and gone. This tool would allow me to run a game without having everyone in the same room.

There are tools out there that do sorta this, but they're far too much more than that for anyone to actually learn (kloodge, I'm looking at you).

I can make my own map images, and my own token images, my own spell effect images, etc. And I can run the game without the tool's help. But what I can't do is show players in different places the maps and let them show me where their characters are moving while they describe their actions.

Might be a bit much, but there is one digital tool I crave more than anything...

Imagine a digital white board. The DM logs in and draws whatever he wants, or puts up a picture of a battle mat. The players upload pics of their characters, probably formated as some sort of "token".

The DM and characters can move their minis wherever they choose, and when done, just log off. All the data is stored on the site.

A side bar contains a dice roller app. Rolls are recorded and stored along with the map.

This would be amazingly useful for DMs running play-by-email or play-by-post games. The ability to turn the map into a jpeg for forum linking would also be nice.

Think something like Maptools, but all stored on the net so people don't have to get together at appointed times. You log in, roll your dice, move your minis, and log out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads