What other genres would you like to see done right for RPGs?

VGmaster9

Explorer
John Carter (or Barsoom) would actually fall into the sword-and-planet genre. Great examples of planetary romance would be Flash Gordon and the movie Avatar.

The Shaman

First Post
Any good RPGs that cover genres like utopian/dystopian, alternate history, and apocalyptic (not post)?
These headings are really, really broad.

I'm not sure what you're using utopian/dystopian - could you give a source-literature example, perhaps? I thought of Blue Rose, but I'm not sure that's what you mean.

As far as alternate history, depending on how you're defining it, again, that could be a lot of things, but what comes to mind off the top of my head are games like Testament (lands of the Bible), Fvlminata (Ancient Rome with gunpowder), Maelstrom (Elizabethan England with a touch of very subtle magic), and if we cast a slightly wider net to include fantasy.alt.history we could include games like Northern Crown (Colonial Americas with a bit of magic), In Her Majesty's Arcane Service (Elizabethan magical investigators), and even Deadlands (Weird West) - pretty much the whole of the steampunk genre could fall in the latter definition.

And apocalyptic? In my experience, that's where many games end up regardless of how they begin, but I can't think of any examples off the top of my head. Again, apocalyptic is really broad - biblical reckoning, nuclear holocaust, biological disaster, alien invasion?

Stormonu

Legend
Planetary Romance - John Carter's Mars for Savage Worlds, Slipstream, Space 1889
Dystopian - Paranoia
Apocalyptic - perhaps d20 Apocalypse, Deadlands - Hell on Earth ?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Some that have been done but need to be redone, IMHO:
  • Star Trek
  • Amber
  • Golden Age (John C. Wright series)

Some that have not been done... and that's okay:
  • Soap Opera
  • Teenagers at the Mall
  • Retirement Home Escapades
  • Prison Days & Nights

Bluenose

Adventurer
That and an RPG based on ancient China with Wuxia elements, as well an a Mesoamerican themed RPG.

Qin: Warring States attempts the first, how well is a matter of opinion (I like it).

I've seen a Pendragon adaptation for Mesoamerica on a website. It sounds bizarre. I regret not downloading it.

Remove ads