• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What PHB3 Classes stand out to you?

Virindi

First Post
At first I was in the group that the runepriest should have been another cleric build, until I saw him in action. The runepriest isn't really a cleric at all, nor a differnt take on one.

At the PHB 3 launch party the Runepriest was amazing with all his little bonuses and debuffs, plus his damage output and high AC were quite good. The seeker seemed like a archer ranger with more status effects and less damage.
The monk had some cool moments, but I am biased to that class anyways. The battlemind wasn't as sticky as I would like. The Comabt Cranium (Battlemind) had more of a highly mobile paladin feel to him. The psion was sort of yawn, but I am not sure if it were the class or just he never had a momment to shine in the PHB 3 Launch Party, that character received a lot of status effects during the encounters that limited his opportunities. We didn't have anyone at our table play the Ardent.

Mengu

First Post
After a bit of discussion with the group last night, it sounded like people seemed a bit more interested in Monk and Rune Priest, than any other class. There was some interest in the Seeker as a multiclass.

The "power point" classes didn't seem to spark much interest.

Aldarc

Legend
Monk, Psion, and Runepriest: Good concept and execution.

Battlemind: I like the concept, since it is obviously the successor of the psychic warrior. It looks clunky in its execution, as if they were not sure what to do with it.

Ardent: I like what it does and most of the concept, but I definitely would have preferred that they made it more Wilder-like and a ranged leader.

Seeker: Concept and execution seems poor. I am not a fan of excluding classes, but this may be my first. I have no idea how in the PHB3 planning stages, someone thought that the seeker would be an interesting concept or a good fantasy archetype.

Obryn

Hero
As a quick note, this thread has turned me around on the Battlemind (though not on the Ardent).

Now, I'm kind of excited about the class.... and am running afoul of the completely borked mechanics instead! Sigh... Time to houserule... :)

-O

Felon

First Post
Really now? I've heard pretty much exactly the opposite.... that heavy armor users couldn't match light armor users with high Dex or Int in terms of AC. Although I do admit to never thinking to ask those who claimed so to prove it...

It comes down to a few... powerful (I was tempted to say broken) feats/items/paragon paths/destinies in general. And investment. Last I looked you were still getting the most with Hide but you needed a 20 Int/Dex to do so.
I'm in a paragon campaign at about 14th levle now. The Str 22 ranger wearing plate has a 30. The defenders with plate and shield have 32's. A Dex 22 ranger, with his super-agility and Wuxia-style acrobatic dodging, pulls up the rear behind these turtles with a 28, making him the most tempting target on the table. Chainmail alone would get you a 28.

Of course, the ranger does enjoy the best Reflex save by far, but since at least 80% of attacks are against AC, that's cold comfort.

tyrlaan

Explorer
II'm conflicted about the runepriest. It feels honestly like it shouldn't be divine, but in the same power source as the truenamer. It's much, much more of a buffer-type leader than the cleric is. I'd thought about switching my minotaur cleric to one, but I don't think it'd be more helpful than the cleric.

This notion was spawned by something someone else mentioned on the forums here pre-PHB3 release: I'm wondering if we'll see more "rune" classes. From one angle, I agree with you - it doesn't feel right as divine. But from another angle, the runepriest is effectively someone that calls on divine power through these ancient words of power. Well, what if everything is from one primordial source? Then you could have runemages that use runes to do arcane things, and insertnamehere that uses runes to do primal things, etc.

All of that said, I dig the runepriest but have a problem with it existing in the same world as a strength build cleric. I get that there are mechanical differences, but I just feel there's too much overlap thematically.

Runepriest aside, I really like the monk and the seeker. I seem to be on a similar boat as others who have said they aren't too keen on the "only 3 at-wills" thing the other psionic classes have. And thematically I don't feel the ardent or battlemind have enough traction potential.

Remove ads