• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What playable race would make the worst/oddest Monk?

Mercule

Adventurer
Weirdest for "ECL 0" races that have ever been published (to my knowledge) would probably be a myconid. Really, how awesome would "flurry of spores" be, as an attack? Since there's no 5E version, to my knowledge, that's a poor answer to your question, though.

From a weirdly cool perspective, I think a water genasi would be great. The image of a water-based humanoid doing some of the fluid, soft style martial arts (I'm specifically thinking hapkido, which uses a "water principle" as a core tenet) is very compelling, IMO. Any genasi would work, depending on the style, but I like the water best. Second probably goes to a fire genasi shadow monk, just because the idea of of flame fading into darkness is interesting.

A goliath would be bizarre, but actually makes sense. Their culture puts emphasis on wrestling and similar contest. A goliath monk would probably use something like judo or aikido.

From a just plain, "I don't get it" angle, the gnome would be my pick. Unless you're in Eberron, then it makes total sense that the little KGB bastards would also be ninjas.

As an aside, one of the first things that caught my eye, when I got the 5E PHB was a wood elf Open Hand Monk. I haven't gotten to play it, yet, because I mostly DM and the one game I joined already had a monk, but it seems like it would be very cool/fun.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
A Rock Gnome Monk seems like it would be the oddest one. I basically picture a little Yoda-like guy jumping and leaping around...and it just looks weird in my head.

hejtmane

Explorer
Goliath 7 foot tall monk that dodges by making things go around him :p. My son and his group have talked about they should make a D&D storyline and of dumb characters and the Paladin always dies in the episode so they are always having to replace one. Hence the Goliath Monk and his way of dodging is things just go around him example when the dragon cast it breath it just splits and reforms behind him killing the Paladin

PrometheanVigil

First Post
I'm willing to include even those in SCAG, Player's Guide to Elemental Evil or the expected listings in Volo's Guide.

Tonight, I was thinking about my homebrew, and how the goblinoids would make interesting monks. This would be especially true for the hobgoblin and bugbear versions as those are forced to serve the smaller goblins. Lots of fluff explains that servitude, but the thought is that a high STR/CON Monk could be interesting.

Which then spurred the thought of "What's the worst monk?" I'm a 1e/2e soul that dipped back in with 5e so Dwarven Mages strike me as crazy.

Half-orc Monk would be pretty wild, but I could see the case of the outsider forced to use common tools as weapons.

I guess a gnome wouldn't feel right... what else would be an odd monk?

I always play Half-Orc Monk (or Sorcerer). They're one of the best combinations to play. Without the old-school evasively eugenicist penalties to Int and Cha, sticking with the better modern interpretation of Pathfinder, that +2 Str bonus comes in handy when your abilities rely so much on decent Wis (and being a "talkie" Monk is just the best...).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads