• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What powers should be next on the Errata Block?

Stalker0

Legend
The latest errata gave us a host of power changes. So...what powers need a little bit of loving, or a swift kick in the butt?

I think careful strike and sure strike are two that most everyone thinks needs some help.

Also, let me throw in a vote for the paladin's sacred circle. A 2nd level utility that is in every way weaker than the cleric's shield of faith.

Kordeth

First Post
Also, let me throw in a vote for the paladin's sacred circle. A 2nd level utility that is in every way weaker than the cleric's shield of faith.

Not really. Shield of Faith tags everybody within the burst at the moment you cast it; if only three allies happed to be within that close burst 5, only those three allies get the bonus. Sacred Circle creates a zone in which any ally who steps inside gets the bonus. Versatility makes up for raw power.

Stalker0

Legend
Not really. Shield of Faith tags everybody within the burst at the moment you cast it; if only three allies happed to be within that close burst 5, only those three allies get the bonus. Sacred Circle creates a zone in which any ally who steps inside gets the bonus. Versatility makes up for raw power.

Our party has had a cleric with shield of faith for a while now, so I'll kindly disagree. Its very easy on the 1st round for the cleric to move into the middle of the party had hit everyone. At worst, we've had times where one person didn't get it, and that's normally the guy whose going to be in the back anyway.

Compare that to sacred circle, where you have to stay near the paladin (and all of the big melee bruisers) to get the benefit. As a wizard or ranger I would much rather move farther away and not get the bonus.

Stalker's right: Sacred Circle sucks. At the VERY least make the bonus apply to all defenses a la Hallowed Circle.

Here's a power that needs a kick not in the butt, but in the gonads: Seal of Binding (Cleric Daily 25) is B-R-O-K-E-N, as everyone knows by now. Just make it so you need to repeat the attack roll on its sustains a la Curse of the Dark Delirium, and that should take care of it.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Since the errata also gave us a lot of rules changes, I'd like to suggest that they change all of the "-X to saves" powers to read "the foe saves on a (10+X)+, and may apply bonuses to the roll".

That means spell focus makes saves a 12+. I would also like to see the wizard's orb power changed, but to be honest, with this change the worst you can do is force 20+ saves on people, which means normal monsters are SOL, but elites and brutes at least have a chance.

I think that sure/careful attack/strike need only minor help: both versions should be classified as basic attacks. At that point they become viable choices (always for a fighter, and sometimes for a ranger).

My last vote goes to changing the ranger paragon paths to require "class:ranger", adding the ranger two-weapon class feature as a feat, and adding the free feats for each path to the requirements of the ranger paragon paths.

Fedifensor

Explorer
Commander's Strike. I'm tired of hearing the arguments about whether it can be done at range. WotC needs to issue errata to clarify this once and for all.

Wachunga

First Post
Commander's Strike. I'm tired of hearing the arguments about whether it can be done at range. WotC needs to issue errata to clarify this once and for all.
Seconded.

I've emailed Customer Service about it a few times now, and have been told they'll bring it up during their meetings... couldn't hurt for others to email them as well.

David Sid

First Post
A few things I'd like to see changed in the next errata:

1. The half-elf. Playing a RAW half-elf as it stands now would feel masochistic.

2. Tieflings need horn reduction surgery.

3. Light sources. As they stand, most parties can afford to use sunrods 24/7, and sunrods are better than any other light source. (They completely trounce the wizard's light cantrip.)

4. Wizard and warlock multiclass feats. They should give ability score-independent benefits. All the other multiclass feats don't require you to buy an implement or work on a particular ability score.

5. Unarmed attacks. The current system makes no allowance for martial artists. Make unarmed attacks a superior weapon with a great proficiency bonus and some other benefit.

6. Dragonslayer weapons. Most parties don't fight dragons frequently enough to make them useful. Maybe allow them to work against dragonborn and dragonspawn also.

7. Action points. They give no benefit to a party on a non-combat adventure. Make them useful for skill checks, and the problem would be pretty much solved.

8. Enchant Magic Item. It should be able to resize magic weapons as well as magic armor. Also, let it change the type of magic armor and weapons, so an archer ranger can change the vicious greatsword +2 on his enemy into a vicious longbow +2.

Last edited:

Gort

Explorer
1. The half-elf. Playing a RAW half-elf as it stands now would feel masochistic.

I like the half-elf in general, except for a few things.

The first is their signature power - dilletante. The concept of this is good - get a bit of a freebie multiclass to reflect half-elf dabbling. However, you really have to plan your character around dilletante if you're going to have any real use for it - you need to have a good ability score for the power you choose, or you're just wasting actions in combat when you use it.

I'd suggest that, like the dragonborn's dragon breath power, half-elves are given a range of abilities they can base their dilletante power on, to ensure that the power is useful.

Other things I dislike about the class include the group diplomacy power - nobody's going to remember a +1 to diplomacy aura. Also, why do half-elves get extra constitution and charisma? That's nothing like elves, who get a bonus to dexterity and wisdom. It's also nothing like humans, who can be good at any ability. It's more like the unholy offspring of dwarves and tieflings.

My final dislike of the class is their ability to take feats from both humans and elves racial feats. Sounds good in theory, but in practice a lot of the best elf racial feats are based off their elven accuracy power, which the half elf can't get!

So, in brief - fix dilletante so it runs off a range of ability modifiers, kill the diplomacy aura, change the stat modifiers to be more like elves and humans, and let half-elves take elven accuracy as a feat choice, and half-elves would be a lot better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads