• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What products do you wish WotC would re-do?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Welll, in terms of compendium, let's forget the styling, but go with actual compendiums, updated to 4e. Some of the most useful books for 2nd ed for me were the spell compendiums of wizards and priests and the magic item compendium. For 3rd, it was the rules, spells, and magic item compendium. A monster compendium for 4e that updated ALL the old monsters would be friggin' fantastic and would basically eliminate the need to wait for Necromancer to "MAYBE" do one via Tome of Horrors depending on how the GLS does.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
A monster compendium for 4e that updated ALL the old monsters would be friggin' fantastic

It would also be rather unwieldy.

Throughout D&D history, there have been (by my count) almost 9000 different D&D creatures published. There are 486 stat blocks in the 4th Edition Monster Manual, so we'd be looking at at least a 18 or 19 volume set, if all the old monsters were updated. And that's assuming that there is just one stat block per creature, instead of the more usual 4th Edition style of several variations for each type of monster...

That said, I would quite happily buy an 18 or 19 volume set of Monster Manuals ;)

Kzach

Banned
Banned
It would also be rather unwieldy.

Throughout D&D history, there have been (by my count) almost 9000 different D&D creatures published. There are 486 stat blocks in the 4th Edition Monster Manual, so we'd be looking at at least a 18 or 19 volume set, if all the old monsters were updated. And that's assuming that there is just one stat block per creature, instead of the more usual 4th Edition style of several variations for each type of monster...

That said, I would quite happily buy an 18 or 19 volume set of Monster Manuals ;)

That's perfect!

Imagine having a filing cabinet with all that in it and being able to take just the pages you needed in a folder for the game!

And the convenience of individual paper sheets at the table would also be very nice.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
NONONONONONONO

Please don't give them ideas to bring back the bloody trapper keepers!

It sounds great "in theory" but it really sucked due to ripped pages.

Penguinised

First Post
I don't think they'll be rehashing the old settings in any significant way, most likely it'll be FR, Eb and whatever new one they come up with whenever that will be.
But seeing as this is a bit of a "in my wildest dreams" thread I would love them to do a book which was a kind of Campaign Setting Compendium. Have a chapter for Greyhawk, a chapter for Planescape, one for Spelljammer, one for Darksun, one for Ravenloft etc. Then per chapter put in a basic outline of the setting, what makes it unique, a map and rundown of the major players, gods and the cosmology if it differs from the core 4e, setting specific monsters/NPCs and tips for DMs to make their sessions have the flavour of that setting.
I mean sure, a campaign setting book for each of them would be nice but that would take too much time away from WotC creating new and exciting stuff that we've never seen before and will be talking about in posts like this in 20 years time.

Oh, and I know it's still only in recent memory but i'd love to see updates of the Book of Vile Darkness, Exalted Deeds, Exemplars of Evil and Heroes of Horror. These books really spoke to me, added a lot of depth and options to villians in the game and the rules for Horror were just so much fun. Having a character lose his mind will never get old.

Remove ads