• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What project would you like Paizo to tacke next for Pathfinder?

What project for Pathfinder would you like Paizo tackle next?

The Greene Knight

First Post
What about "None of the above or Other"?

Personnally, I don't want to see any of those.
*nod*

Sorry to say, but it's a "none of the above" for me too.

I know I very well may be in the minority, here, but I do not want Pathfinder RPG to turn into yet another d20 game with zillions of rules supplements. I want to see good GM advice, good player advice, sourcebooks detailing alternate techniques to build adventures and campaigns... some actual text that helps people use the game as it is, rather than add more and more rules to it.

Just a wish.

falcarrion

First Post
I would like for the swimming rules redone.
Water based monsters have a better land movement then pc's do in water.
Maybe this is the reason for such few underwater adventures.

Walking Dad

First Post
I would like for the swimming rules redone.
Water based monsters have a better land movement then pc's do in water.
Maybe this is the reason for such few underwater adventures.

That is right. Perhaps as series of terrain inspired rules (a bit like WotC did with Sandstorm etc.).

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Reading through the thread, I note several places where it mentioned that this or that rule is included in such-and-such adventure or supplement. This is great for folks who have those adventures and supplements, but not so good for those of us who've been frequently unemployed lately.

:(

What I'd like to see is all of those nice rules and subsystems collected into an annual of sorts and then offered for sale in both PDF and print.

I also add my voice to folks who don't want to see PF turn into the many-headed beast that 3.5 became. IOW, no Complete Adventurer, no Complete Arcane, et cetera.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Reading through the thread, I note several places where it mentioned that this or that rule is included in such-and-such adventure or supplement. This is great for folks who have those adventures and supplements, but not so good for those of us who've been frequently unemployed lately.

:(

What I'd like to see is all of those nice rules and subsystems collected into an annual of sorts and then offered for sale in both PDF and print.

I also add my voice to folks who don't want to see PF turn into the many-headed beast that 3.5 became. IOW, no Complete Adventurer, no Complete Arcane, et cetera.

I second both of these thoughts! Even for those who can afford to buy all of the supplements, it would be nice to have all of that stuff in one place.

And one of the reasons I love Pathfinder right now (other than the supreme quality of production and thought) is the lack of 'rules bloat.'

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
What else in particular, if anything, do you envision for such a creation?

Oh, and is it that you believe 3e's classes and/or races to be pumped up, or (as I suspect) Pathfinder's, as opposed to 3e's?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner... I don't hang out on these boards all that much (I usually pop in for a quick check on the latest threads and skedaddle).

I do think that Pathfinder needlessly pumped up all of the classes and races, often in ways that I didn't agree with, but still think Paizo did a good job of reinvigorating D&D 3.X.

What I'm looking for is a game that is easily learned and fast-paced... even at higher levels. 3.X and Pathfinder are both rules-heavy games that are good at providing a rule for nearly every situation, so I'd like to see a leaner, meaner d20 game that still looks and feels like traditional, Basic D&D. Microlite d20 is a little too spartan for my tastes.

Here's a quick break-down of what I'd like to see in the 1st boxed set:

Races: Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings
Classes: Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Thief (later boxed sets would expand on these with "prestige classes" such as Rangers, Paladins, Druids and Assassins)
Levels: 1-3
Alignment: Lawful, neutral & chaotic
Use d20 unified mechanics for combat and ability checks (include 3 save categories).
Include a simplified skill bundle system (Perception, Stealth, Persuasion and other broad-reaching skill sets for characters to choose).
Eliminate feats but allow for combat maneuvers and styles such as 2-weapon fighting and finesse fighting.
Eliminate AoOs in nearly every situation.
Eliminate various, named modifiers and stacking effects.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Sorry I didn't reply sooner... I don't hang out on these boards all that much (I usually pop in for a quick check on the latest threads and skedaddle).
No worries, and yeah, I had a bit of a break myself, recently. Plus, just not here as often these days.

I'd like to see a leaner, meaner d20 game that still looks and feels like traditional, Basic D&D.
Sounds like a plan! :cool:

---snip (some pretty solid stuff)---

Eliminate AoOs in nearly every situation.
Singled this one out for extra special agreement. ;) Maybe just rout attacks, if you run away from combat? Or that and one or two other things? Not sure, just what came to mind immediately.

Anyway, sounds like a game I'd like to play, and indeed, one that could be great as a 'gateway drug', as the pop jargon would have it.

Burrito Al Pastor

First Post
I'm assuming sword & planet falls under the "science fiction" option in the poll?

Because that's what I want more of. Pathfinder has the infrastructure to establish some John Carter of Mars spinoff settings, and by god, that would be fantastic.

Psionics would be good, especially if you can effectively integrate it with a bit of the Lovecraftian - I'm thinking here of the power-dreamers of the Dreamlands, like King Kuranes of Celephais and Randolph Carter.

Monster PCs are very important. Some of the best characters I've ever known have been gnolls or kobolds or night hags.

Steel_Wind

Legend
None of the above.

I'd like to see Mass Combat Rules that actually work. Tie this in with Kingmaker and I'm good.

To be honest, I'm not too terribly interested in ANY new rules right now. Let me explain why.

First off - I have SHELVES full of 3.5 books which can more or less work without any changes to integrate into Pathfinder. Really. You don't need to do much to it -- if anything -- to make it "compatible". Let's not kid ourselves here. Pathfinder is 3.5 with a few dents hammered out and a new coat of paint. Why pretend a major selling point in the system isn't actually true?

Truth is - most of those 80+ 3.xx hardcovers on my shelf? I've never even read them. A flip through within the first few days after I got it - and then on to the shelf and my collector mentality was satisfied. (Until the next month, that is.)

I strongly doubt most of you are much different than I am in that regard. Really. Be honest.

Secondly, the part where 3.5 became broken was never really in its core design. There were some elements that needed adjusting (grapple and shapechange, even out cool stuff so you get it more often when you level) but none of those deficiencies break the damn game.

But with 3.5? Books like Spell Compendium sure as hell did. They broke it bad.

So I'm not terribly interested in the WotC-new-hardcover-of-rules-a-month treadmill. No matter what those rules are, if they are for new classes and new spells and new magic items, they will inevitably bloat the game into breakage and broketastic power gamer feature creep. One a year - if you have to. And in the meanwhile, how about we GAME with what we have?

Give us more setting setting and adventure material to buy.
I'm REAL good with this. It gives us stuff to buy and read without busting the game. Turns out Paizo does this better than anybody. WotC, at its very best, can't beat Paizo in this department. (Indeed, at its very best, WotC came close by simply using Paizo's writers and staff!)

New monsters are fine as they just can't break the game. Beyond that - it gets very, very difficult. And worse, whatever it is that we have, the Pathfinder Adventure Path books won't use it unless it becomes "core". I doubt that Paizo is going to expand official Core for their adventures, either.

Once you have books the players use that the adventures don't, you end up with power inbalance and less general utility from adventures, too. Rules bloat just breaks the game, generally.

End result: If I really need to break Pathfinder, I have 80+ 3.xx hardcovers on my shelf that can do that in an instant.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Truth is - most of those 80+ 3.xx hardcovers on my shelf? I've never even read them.
[...]
Give us more setting setting and adventure material to buy.
I'm REAL good with this. It gives us stuff to buy and read without busting the game. Turns out Paizo does this better than anybody.
I'm almost the opposite: I've immediately read all of the 3e 'crunch' books cover to cover (and even entered most of their content into various Excel sheets), but the 'fluff' books (settings and adventures) only got a thumb-through and selective reading.

I have TONS of adventure modules - I doubt I could play all of them in this life.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads