What published settings have significantly influenced your current game.

Which published settings/materials have significantly influenced your current game?

• Blackmoore (1st first for a reason)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Forgotten Realms (the core area cover in FRCS)

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Planescape

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Birthright

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Kara-tur/the old OA

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Al-Quadim

• Spelljammer

• Mazteca

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mystara (the old D&D boxed set world)

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Scarred Lands

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Iron Kingdoms

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Oathbound

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Freeport

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Bluffsides

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

• Wheel of Time

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Call of Cthulhu (everyone and their pet dog has an alien intelligence or a dark power dwelling beyon

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Dragonstar (I -think- its D&D)

• Mahasarpa (James Wyatt's OA web setting)

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Erde

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Sovereign Stone

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Nymba

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Gothos (hunt for evil)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Slaine (?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arcanis

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Everquest

• Dragonlords of Melbourne

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Harn (OK I have no idea what it is but it turns up)

• Message board story hours (of other people's NOT your own)

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • OTHER (D&D): demon lords from Green Ronin's Armies of the Abyss, MC's Plotus, Diablo II, etc.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • OTHER (non-D&D): Warhammer Fantasy, Rifts, Castle F., etc

Votes: 28 26.9%

Graf

Explorer
So we do lots of polls where people put up like five/ten settings and pick their favs. After a certain point this is just a good test of how interested people are in pimping their settings and rallying the troops to go vote than anything else. Lots of settings get missed, and homebrew people don't really get to say much. Some people use multiples settings in their game.

So I thought this might be fun instead.

Which settings have influenced your current game SIGNIFICANTLY, either in terms of material used or inspiration drawn?
(or if you aren't playing in a game substiute about the most recent game you played in or ran, or your dream game)

Ex: I occasionally use monsters and spells from FR; likewise my view of alignment, outsiders and planar relations has definitely been influenced by PS. I don't think they have a real impact on my current game. So I didn't check them.

Use SL stuff extensively, and I checked "other D&D" for using the green steel abbey, secret college of Necro and a few things from the Arcana series from Green Ronin.

How about you?

ladyofdragons

First Post
until recently, I used the gods of Forgotten Realms in my own campaign. I liked them because they were the most detailed and inspirational. Now that I'm working on my own gods, I'm drawing on how FR set up their gods as inspiration, because I really like the way the book descriptions are set up.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
"Dragonlords of Melbourne"

Make mental note to self: When traveling to Australia, skip Melbourne and visit Sydney. Besides Syndey's beautiful opera house, I've heard dragonlords tend to be nasty folk. :rolleyes:

Rav

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Dragon Lords of Melbourne, eh?

<Imagines the Crocodile Hunter>

"Krikey, that's a big buggah!"

<looks up at an Ancient red dragon>

<dragon burns Crocodile hunter to a crisp>

Okay, maybe not.

War Golem

First Post
Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms from the formative years of my homebrew back in late 1st/ early 2nd edition. Greyhawk cause I played there some. Never played in the Realms back in those days, but loved Greenwood's articles in Dragon back then - such a sense of history and scope that Greyhawk could not match.

If I had kept playing through all of the existence of 2e, then I suspect Planescape would have been a big influence as well (despite the oppresive repulsion to the setting brought on by the cant).

Other settings and/or books (you can't leave out books; I can only hope that some of them do see the light of day as published settings eventually) that have influenced my campaign world to greater or lesser degrees are: Talislanta, Shadow World, Dune, Black Company, Gor, Thomas Covenant's Land.

My homebrew is very much a mish-mash of stuff I've liked from other places; I hope it appears like a semi-coherent whole to my players!

Cheers,

-War Golem

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
My campaign world really is influenced more by works of fiction than D&D books. But I've also scavenged bits from Scarred Lands, Rokugan, Necromancer Games' generic world (the world of Crucible of Freya), and especially Kalamar.

ForceUser

Explorer
Since your definition of influence is what setting books I'm pulling content out of to use in my homebrew, I'll have to say Forgotten Realms, Scarred Lands, Planescape, Greyhawk, and various Story Hours, notably Piratecat's, Sepulchrave's, and (contact)'s. I am most greatly influenced, however, by the other DMs I play under and by the Vietnamese and Chinese folk tales, culture, and history I read about on the net.

GILGAMESH

First Post
Stuff like the Conan books, The GOR series, and almost all of Mike moorecock's writings( for the twisty demons and wierd fateand destiny stuff).

Remove ads