D&D 5E What resources do you track in play?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
We track things that are fun to track and are scarce. We otherwise avoid unneeded bookkeeping tasks.

For example, consumable magic items we track. Money we track, but now that we're got plenty of gold a night's drinking and stay isn't "scarce" anymore so we don't bother to keep track of it, just pay a lifestyle upkeep occasionally. If we're on a particular adventure where something else is scarce (ammo, water, etc.) for specific reasons we track it, btu that's more for tension and goal setting then general tracking.

We can also do things like if no one can make arrows that the DM might tell the archer that arrows are running low after several sessions away from towns so they may think about heading for resupply.

The fun part is true adn players can track more as long as they are having a good time doing so. For example I had a character with a bag of holding who was a clotheshorse and prepared like a boyscout. I kept a big list of mundane items - many useless for adventuring - filling the bag. Because it was fun. And I'd do things like have a set of jeweled goblets to server rather expensive wine (not shaken, in the bag) to important people we met on the road. At one point we were unexpectedly meeting with royalty and I pulled out nice clothes for the rest of the party - which I had made levels before so that they wouldn't embarrass my character by looking like scrubs when he was trying to look good. The rest of the party was astounded and the DM, having been reminded of when I did that, shook his head with a smile.

Simonb1

Explorer
I, as a player, track what I and my DM's thinks are necessary to track.
It usually involves spell casting requirements, survival needs for me and any mounts.
Money is always tracked, sometimes some coins are thrown or given away as they are too heavy for their weight.

This is across multiple systems.

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Ammo, rations, especially if they are lost in the dungeon/wilderness for months, unlimited arrows and food is lame IMO.

Exotic/expensive spell components you bet I make them track that. And I don't allow them to say "well I have 3k in gold, can't I just take the cost out of that".

Arilyn

Hero
We track money, but loosely. Once players have a lot, I am guilty of hand waving inn costs and cheap purchases. Potions, healing kit uses and other consumables of that nature are tracked. Don't worry about ammo. Assume archers can make their own, and everyone else do not use arrows enough to worry about running out. Oh, and we use milestones, so no tracking exp. points which I used to hate. Also, don't bother with material components, even expensive ones. Never liked them, and just getting rid of them has not unbalanced anything.

Arilyn

Hero
Oh, before I get criticized about material components, what I said above is not completely true. I make players use components for earth shaking stuff.

Coroc

Hero
Ammo, money and valuables, 1 shot items (healing pots, ball bearings etc.)

Ammo has a chance to be reusable after battle normally 50%.

Food only in special circumstances.

Coroc

Hero
We track things that are fun to track and are scarce. We otherwise avoid unneeded bookkeeping tasks.

For example, consumable magic items we track. Money we track, but now that we're got plenty of gold a night's drinking and stay isn't "scarce" anymore so we don't bother to keep track of it, just pay a lifestyle upkeep occasionally. If we're on a particular adventure where something else is scarce (ammo, water, etc.) for specific reasons we track it, btu that's more for tension and goal setting then general tracking.

We can also do things like if no one can make arrows that the DM might tell the archer that arrows are running low after several sessions away from towns so they may think about heading for resupply.

The fun part is true adn players can track more as long as they are having a good time doing so. For example I had a character with a bag of holding who was a clotheshorse and prepared like a boyscout. I kept a big list of mundane items - many useless for adventuring - filling the bag. Because it was fun. And I'd do things like have a set of jeweled goblets to server rather expensive wine (not shaken, in the bag) to important people we met on the road. At one point we were unexpectedly meeting with royalty and I pulled out nice clothes for the rest of the party - which I had made levels before so that they wouldn't embarrass my character by looking like scrubs when he was trying to look good. The rest of the party was astounded and the DM, having been reminded of when I did that, shook his head with a smile.

Omg that reminds me of my first 5e adventure as a player, when the party cleric doffed his armor to get more cozy while riding on the cart. Needless to say when the goblins ambushed us he had to get "dressed" before he could contribute to the combat. :)

Bupp

Adventurer
I think it really depends on the game, the group, and the feel that you are going for.

In games I play with my kids, we play a more heroic, fast paced game. We really don't track much, and others are merely hand-waved. Keeping count of everything is not fun for them, so we don't do it.

I think in our first campaign after they hit 5th level, I told them that they were experienced adventurers, and that their characters would likely be well-prepared. I told them that they could pull out any mundane gear they wanted (within reason) when they wanted to use it. I also have expanded equipment lists. On occasion, they've pulled out something fun that livened up an encounter. Something that they probably would not have thought of to buy in advance, but worked great because the situation caused them to think outside the box.

I run another one-on-one game with an old friend of mind. He likes gritty realism. We track every copper piece, sling stone and torch, and know how full waterskins are.

Satyrn

First Post
Gold (etc)
Magic ammunition.
Alchemist's fire, healing potions and other similar one use items.

I think we just pay gold for costly components when we cast a spell with them, but I don't know for sure.

Probably everything that doesn't feel like it boils down to accounting busywork - tracking mundane arrows, food, water and the like just feels like a chore because it will never stop.

Satyrn

First Post
I think in our first campaign after they hit 5th level, I told them that they were experienced adventurers, and that their characters would likely be well-prepared. I told them that they could pull out any mundane gear they wanted (within reason) when they wanted to use it. I also have expanded equipment lists. On occasion, they've pulled out something fun that livened up an encounter. Something that they probably would not have thought of to buy in advance, but worked great because the situation caused them to think outside the box.

If you ever felt the need to make this into a rule, you could call for a Wisdom (Provisioning) check to see if they were wise enough to foresee a need to pack the item.

Remove ads