• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What role do reptile people play in your setting?

RichGreen

Adventurer
David Howery said:
Waaay back in my 2E gaming days, I had all the lizard folk descended from a single pre-human lizardish race. This race, called the Samat, were incredibly powerful mages, way beyond anything humans and their kin are capable of. I brought up the whole concept for an adventure where the PCs came upon the buried tomb of a Samat and accidently resurrected it... most of them lived to regret it.
Through a roundabout process, the samats ended up in the Nyambe: African Adventures book from Atlas, where they got altered into a snakish creature and (in that world at least) were the ancestors of the yuan ti....

That's cool! I ran an adventure set in Hepmonaland using Nyambe where the PCs nearly (but didn't) resurrected two samat who were in suspended animation.

Cheers

Richard

Stormborn

Explorer
Lizardmen are the main heavies in my campaign (curently on hiatus for DMing break while we play something else) and are allied with a more primative race of crocodile men (from Monsternomicon). They move through the human society in magical disguise, undermining things and working for the badguys. I have a great deal of back stroy planned for them, but i wont mention that here as one of the players reads these boards and would be dissapointed to have the suprise ruined.

All reptilian races (lizardfolk, dragons, kobolds, trogs and others) descended from the Ancient Naga who once ruled the world.

The Naga in the MM aren't the Ancient Naga, but were some some sort of subrace. Even the Ha-Naga is not a True Naga. Naga from Oriental Adventures were Naga who somehow blended with the the younger races. And Yuan-Ti were humanoids that blended with the remnants of the Ancient Naga.

At the end of the Ancient Naga's era the bloodline sort of split two ways, with their being the Dragon-Kin (Dragons, Kobolds, Lizardfolk) and Serpent-Kind (Naga, Yuan-Ti, Ophidian) races.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Lamia imc are serpents with the ability to take on human (or elf) and hybrid (humanoid torso and arms) forms. They are ruled by the immortal Queen Nakasha consort of 'The Devourer' who (along with her seven Handmaidens) is the 'mother of serpents', they consider themselves the most beautiful race and were responsible for building the first civilisation (and its pyramids)

The Lamia were responsible for taking dinosaurs (some kind of Dromaeosaur) and developing them into the Lizard men (who are warmblooded), Basilisks also descend from Lamia (though I haven't decided how yet). Another creature is a Reptaur (lizard-centaur) of which only one has been seen (so I haven't decided if its a unique creature or a race)

Dragons and Naga were contempary with Lamia and are respected as equals. Bullywugs and Sahuagin are looked down upon but tolerated due to their affinity

*Kobolds are goathorned dogmen and Yuan Ti don't exist

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Lizardfolk have been around since practically the beginning of time; manipulated by one or another of the more advanced races time and again. But they never build significant civilizations on their own. The reason: Laziness. Do you know/own any reptiles? Hard to imagine them really getting to work.

So Lizardmen in my campaign are big, long lizards that spend their time mostly sunning themselves on rocks.

The_Universe

First Post
Almost all were relatively recently created (within the past 1000 years) from the combination human and near-human stock with that of dragons, dinosaurs, and serpents. A draconic emperor that masquerades as a man is responsible for their creation, and continues to produce new variants on into the present.

They are universally evil.

mcbmagic

First Post
IMC Lizarmen are the remnants of an ancient civilization that thrived millions of years ago but who have devolved and have been unable to rebuild their civilization. This explains why they exist on all of the continents. Troglodytes are related to lizardmen.

A race of serpent men born from the death of one of the lizardman gods have sought the corruption and downfall of men, elves and dwarves. They started a breeding program with these races creating the Yuan-ti.

Nagas are not related to the other races but often serve the serpent people.

The ancient civilization created the dragons to fight in a war that lead to their downfall. Later, the dragons were involved in a war with the giants. Durring the war the evil dragons tried to create a warrior race. Unfortunately for them, their research labs were destroyed and their unfinished work escaped into the underdark. Those were the kolbolds.

The good dragons instead did magical experiments on some human tribes and created the elves to whom they gave the secrets of civilization in return for their help in fighting the giants.

Remove ads