• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What RPG should I purchase Next?

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I am an avid player of 5e D&D, but I want to start going into other systems, I already own the Pathfinder core rulebook, and I have used the open reference, so Pathfinder is out of the picture. I was thinking about three games in general, if you have played them, tell me about them and what you think.

Games: Conan, an age undreamed of, Starfinder, Call Of Cthulhu

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
There are lots of ways to approach this question.

Are there any specific genre that you find attractive? Call of Cthulhu is great for mind-assaulting horror. Mutants and Masterminds is great for superheroes.
And are there styles of play that you (and your player groups) want to check out? Dread is also great for horror but is very different from Call of Cthulhu.

practicalm

Explorer
It really depends on your taste in games and what you are trying to get out of them. I prefer GURPS for the more simulation aspects of play but I do enjoy storytelling so I don't always let the simulation get in the way of a good story.

I've played so many different rule sets that I usually decide what I'm trying to accomplish in the game and then pick the rule set that works for that.

As part of the session 0, I consider what rule set makes sense for the game I and the players are going to be experiencing.

For example, I'll probably never play in another d20 modern or future setting. I just don't like levels in my modern or future games. I'd rather use anything else. I've tried a few times and I just find it eh.

Some of my favorites: GURPS, Call of Cthulhu, HERO, Paranoia, Ghostbusters, FATE, Dresden Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Fasa Star Trek, Traveller, Toon, Rolemaster,
Games I wish I had played: Marvel, DC Heroes (I was always a Champions player for some reason)

aramis erak

Legend
I am an avid player of 5e D&D, but I want to start going into other systems, I already own the Pathfinder core rulebook, and I have used the open reference, so Pathfinder is out of the picture. I was thinking about three games in general, if you have played them, tell me about them and what you think.

Conan's system, while not bad, has a potential snowball effect to be wary of; it's present in all 2d20 system games. For me, that is a fatal flaw; one that I noticed in the Star Trek Adventures playtest. If the players start rolling poorly, it's all too easy to wind up with penalties stacked so high that success becomes nigh-impossible. The "Increase Threat Range" Threat spend is very potent, and the primary cause for it. Otherwise, it's a straightforward Narrativist-Gamist hybrid approach.

Starfinder is pure gamist... Excessive complexity for what appears to be a kitchen-sink kind of setting. I have not played, and would not consider playing, Starfinder simply because of the excess complexity. I have read it. It really is Pathfinder 2E in space. If you dislike PF, SF is not going to be much better. (The hit point system is slightly different, and so may be sufficiently different, but I doubt it.)

Call of Cthulhu is a fairly simulationist game. I dislike the Cthulhu Mythos immensely, but the system is pretty good. If you're looking specifically for the Mythos elements, get CoC; otherwise, get BRP instead. Same rules, no mythos, and a wider range of starting gear.

Based upon those three - I'm going to suggest trying the preview module for Conan - it's free, save for printing it out (if you're one who needs paper), and it's got enough of the system to let you know if you like it. If so, then buy the full version. (if you buy it dead tree, Modiphius does participate in Bits n Mortar, so you can get the PDF for free)

You might consider also Mutant Chronicles - also by modiphius. Same issue as Conan - the potential Thread-spend snowball - and has a similar setting feel to both Starfinder and Warhammer 40k

pemerton

Legend
It's a long time since I've played CoC. If I was going to play a CoC game these days I'd probably try Trail of Cthulhu or Cthulhu Dark (which used to be a free PDF download but apparently isn't anymore, at least at my level of Google skill).

I'm currently running Classic Traveller, and would strongly recommend it as a SF RPG. (Though quite different in tone from D&D.)

For horror/S&S I don't know 2d20 Conan (other than a read through the free preview version) but have used Burning Wheel for this genre of RPGing - I would recommend BW for demanding but intense fantasy gaming.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads