What RPGs Should Every Collection Have?

giant.robot

Adventurer
Wow, my collection is failing by all standards, so far. But @Bagpuss is right about the indie game.
Whereas my collection apparently is robust and awesome. Thanks a lot, ADHD.

Just game in print, to say nothing of books per game, I have a lot of these listed. I've played at least one game of most of the systems I have in print. Only a few have led to multiple sessions. But at least I've pulled stuff from books/systems.

That statistic goes to naughty word with systems on PDF. Between big sales and me being an idiot and just impulse buying I have way more systems than I'll ever be able to play.

Bagpuss

Legend
These ones are harder to find (I don't have all of them), but are worth looking at (just maybe not £680+ worth looking at).

11. Leverage - because I hate you and want to search over inflated e-bay auctions, you can currently get it used on Amazon for £685.98.
12. Smallville - because you couldn't find/afford Leverage
13. MAID - because I want you to get in trouble with your girlfriend, or because you don't have a girlfriend and never will.
14. Dread - It doesn't always have to be dice you know.
15. Weapons of the Gods - I just really like the way the world background is built into the character design and the dice system.
16. Conspiracy X - original NME version, because automatic success in combat, and Zener cards for psychic powers.

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
  1. Savage Worlds
  2. WEG Star Wars D6
  3. Ironsworn: Starforged
  4. Mini D6 / Tiny D6
  5. The One Ring
  6. Swords of the Serpentine
  7. Genesys: Shadow of the Beanstalk
  8. Blades in the Dark
  9. Mythras
  10. Fantasy Craft

clearstream

(He, Him)
It depends so much on one's goals for curation. A goal I like is utility to a diversity of modes of play. My list to satisfy that with titles easily found in print is something like
  • OSR - Worlds Without Number
  • Neo-trad - D&D latest edition
  • Neo-sim - Runequest latest edition
  • Storynow - Blades in the Dark
  • Trad - Call of Cthulhu latest edition
  • Journal - Thousand Year Old Vampire
For more diversity I would have in mind
  • OSR - Torchbearer 2e
  • Neo-trad - The One Ring 2e
  • Neo-sim - Pendragon 6e starter set
  • Storynow - Apocalypse Keys
  • Trad - Earthdawn 1e or 4e
  • Journal - Artefact
And if I wanted to cover as many modes as possible with the fewest game texts
  • Legend of the Five Rings FF 5e
  • Ironsworn
  • Traveller 1977
And this will still have failed to mention games like Bushido, Rolemaster, The Burning Wheel, Paranoia, The Ground Itself and Stonetop.

Hence returning to my opening point: only after deciding one's goals for curation can one finesse such a list. I didn't even start on the list I would make for a goal of "most satisfying boxed starter sets". It's not something I've thought about before, but posting this has me contemplating it!

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm working on expanding my game collection, and I was wondering what people thought every RPG collection should have.

I am a little challenged upon what basis to consider what a collection "should" have.

What I "should" have to cover the breadth of game types out there, is different from what I "should" have to cover the basic genres of fiction to play in, which is different from what I "should" have to understand the history of RPGs that have led to the current day.

But, I'll go with..

D&D 5e
Something Savage Worlds
Something FitD
Something PbtA
Something Gumshoe (Ashen Stars, Night's Black Agents, Timewatch)
Something Cortex
Something Fate
Something in the World of Darkness
Something bespoke, but mostly traditional (Feng Shui, Sentinel Comics RPG, Coyote & Crow)
Something bespoke, highly focused, non-traditional (I'm thinking Ten Candles, Bluebeard's Bride, Odyssey: Journey and Change, etc)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
These ones are harder to find (I don't have all of them), but are worth looking at (just maybe not £680+ worth looking at).

11. Leverage - because I hate you and want to search over inflated e-bay auctions, you can currently get it used on Amazon for £685.98.
12. Smallville - because you couldn't find/afford Leverage
Coretx Prime can build both of these and it’s in print.
14. Dread - It doesn't always have to be dice you know.

16. Conspiracy X - original NME version, because automatic success in combat, and Zener cards for psychic powers.
These are both fantastic.

Remove ads