• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What settings would you like to see full support for?

Which setting would you like to see get lots of support?

• Forgotten Realms/Al-Qadim/Kara-Tur

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Eberron

Votes: 24 16.3%
  • Mystara

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Planescape

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Birthright

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Brand new setting

Votes: 18 12.2%

Space Jockey

Villager
In fact, here is Paizo's list of adventure paths:

Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion (+Earth)
Golarion
Golarion
Golarion (+Technology)
Golarion
Golarion

Paizo don't have the range of worlds you think they do. Golarion, like the Realms, has a wide variety of cultures. And they change up the trappings a bit.

But so do Wizards. There is a massive difference in the way Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Out of the Abyss are constructed as adventures. Even the way they tell stories is completely different. (In fact, Paizo don't really change their method of telling stories much. Almost all of their APs are really, really linear. Kingmaker is pretty much their only exception!)

I actually agree with this, I've always found the Pazi adventure paths to be a bit lacking in the storytelling department. My big problem (and something I admittedly should have elaborated on in my original post) is that I was never really a fan of the FR setting itself since almost all of the stories told in it conform to a vaguely medieval Western European setting, or has you face off against enemies that are really boring (ie Tiamat). Out of the Abyss was a pleasant surprise in breaking that mold. Paizo has at least tried to have different settings and themes.

But then again, Paizo's APs have been going on since 2008, and D&D 5e hasn't been out for nearly that long. I'd just really like to see stories set in places like Kara-Tur, or Al-Qadim, or just somewhere that is nowhere near Western Faerun.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I actually agree with this, I've always found the Pazi adventure paths to be a bit lacking in the storytelling department. My big problem (and something I admittedly should have elaborated on in my original post) is that I was never really a fan of the FR setting itself since almost all of the stories told in it conform to a vaguely medieval Western European setting, or has you face off against enemies that are really boring (ie Tiamat). Out of the Abyss was a pleasant surprise in breaking that mold. Paizo has at least tried to have different settings and themes.

But then again, Paizo's APs have been going on since 2008, and D&D 5e hasn't been out for nearly that long. I'd just really like to see stories set in places like Kara-Tur, or Al-Qadim, or just somewhere that is nowhere near Western Faerun.

Huh. I haven't gone to Pathfinder, but I've heard from several different people that their adventure paths have been phenomenal.

Space Jockey

Villager
Huh. I haven't gone to Pathfinder, but I've heard from several different people that their adventure paths have been phenomenal.

I like them a lot, partly because they're treasure troves that you can pick apart for your own stories and settings. And as I mentioned earlier, they try to make the APs as distinct as possible: gothic horror, Egyptian adventures, sci-fi meets fantasy, traveling to Asia (although the "Asia" AP only actually went to "Asia" in the second half :\), pirate swashbuckling and so on.

I'm not going back to Pathfinder willingly, unless my friends want to play it. But credit where credit's due, Paizo knows how to make their APs diverse in aesthetics and theme. Something I hope Wizards does soon and abandons the Realms for more fertile ground, at least for a while.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm not going back to Pathfinder willingly, unless my friends want to play it. But credit where credit's due, Paizo knows how to make their APs diverse in aesthetics and theme. Something I hope Wizards does soon and abandons the Realms for more fertile ground, at least for a while.

Well, it does seem that Wizards will be releasing a range of diverse adventures, according to that seminar by Chris Perkins. And he hinted at Ravenloft really, really strongly.

One of the chief objections to this has been "but it mucks up the Adventurers League". It doesn't. It really doesn't. I mean, the Forgotten Realms is based on the idea of magical portals to other realms, so having PCs do multiversal travel isn't really that hard to understand. The Expeditions adventures might remain in the Moonsea area (and be influenced by the major storyline in one way or another), but the published adventure could happily be in any world.

Cheers!

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Their adventure paths, for the most part, are quite good. But they are also quite linear which I think is really just the nature of the beast. They are called Adventure Paths after all. And they're packed with so much fluff that it can be difficult FOR ME to separate out the adventure from all the fluffy nouget.

(So much fluff in fact, that after running two of them and reading two more, I'm completely turned off by Paizo's APs, but that is completely a personal, subjective judgement and you may think completely different. Back to the point...)

However the vast majority of them take place in Golarion. Different parts of Golarion, sure, but all part of the same world.

So when people point to Paizo's APs when they complain about all of WotC's adventures taking part in the FR, I wonder if they know just how silly they sound.

Now I will agree that it would be nice, I suppose, if WotC put out adventures for different parts of the FR (a Paizo does with their APs in regard to Golarion). Not nice for me, because I'm enjoying just staying on the Sword Coast, but nice for others who want to explore something thematically different.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Their adventure paths, for the most part, are quite good. But they are also quite linear which I think is really just the nature of the beast. They are called Adventure Paths after all. And they're packed with so much fluff that it can be difficult FOR ME to separate out the adventure from all the fluffy nouget.

(So much fluff in fact, that after running two of them and reading two more, I'm completely turned off by Paizo's APs, but that is completely a personal, subjective judgement and you may think completely different. Back to the point...)

However the vast majority of them take place in Golarion. Different parts of Golarion, sure, but all part of the same world.

So when people point to Paizo's APs when they complain about all of WotC's adventures taking part in the FR, I wonder if they know just how silly they sound.

Now I will agree that it would be nice, I suppose, if WotC put out adventures for different parts of the FR (a Paizo does with their APs in regard to Golarion). Not nice for me, because I'm enjoying just staying on the Sword Coast, but nice for others who want to explore something thematically different.

It depends. Maztica, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, and so on were all part of the FR, but as far as both feel and play were concerned, they were distinctly different settings and not a FR campaign at all. They just happened to be on Toril. It sounds like the Golarion paths are similar. WotC's new adventures are all in the FR proper where it looks and feels like the FR. That's the difference.

Slamm-O

First Post
Voted DL because I loved the setting when it first came out. If WotC released a setting book for almost any of the ones listed (sorry Rokugan and Eberron, it's me not you) I would look at buying them.

PMárk

Explorer

The thing is, as others pointed out, Golarion is a faaaaaar wider setting as themes goes than Faerün. Note, that I like Faerün and OotA seems very nice.

Golarion manages to integrate everything and everything's second nephew and his guinea pig into itself, which makes it possible to house very different themed APs. Faerün is more or less "just" general high fantasy.

In the end, Pathfinder does it in one setting that DnD does in a multiverse. Each has it's positive sides.

Greg K

Legend
Al Qadim

Dark Sun (going back to the world as it existed in the original box set)

Ravenloft (going back to the original Realms of Terror Boxed set)

Greyhawk going back to the original folio and boxed set with additional material drawn from Gary's Dragon Magazine articles and the regional/culture information of the UA Barbarian (ignore everything after Gygax left TSR). Also, the default pantheon is based upon Gary's deities from Dragon Magazine.

Mystara and including material from the various GAZ line products (e.g., The Golden Khan, Shadow Elves)

Last edited:

Remove ads