• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should be turned into a RPG?

Janx

Hero
I know I'm not the only one who thinks an Order of the Stick RPG (or just Campaign Setting) would rock ;)

Apart from that, maybe a Super Mario RPG, or something based on Final Fantasy VII (the closest to this one would be Eberron). I've always thought Warhammer 40K would be a great setting, and Rogue Trader is coming next summer :)

Done.

Eurastika:Main Page - RPGnetWiki

I made that up last year for a campaign. It's not official OotS, but it gets the job done.

Otherwise, my favorite IP is Real Life. Parents and schools would stop using the normal grading system, and hand out ranks in the various skills. And XP. By the time you graduate high school, you could be 2nd level...

morgul97

First Post
GI Joe the RPG

I've always thought GI Joe would make an awsome RPG. Great characters, lots of action, cool vilain, good plots, versitile yet familiar, lots of source material, good retro value / cross-marketing potential. Maybe when the movie comes out there will be something.

dm4hire

Explorer
Just watched the DVD for Wanted. Haven't read the original comic or tradebook for it though. However using it as a basis for a Super Assassins RPG would be pretty sweet game. I see it being Wuxia big time.

Also just thought of the book "The Time Machine." This could be a mix of past/modern and future themes where characters go far into the future and have to either learn to survive there or find a way to return to their own time. This could also lead to a Time Cop variant where PCs are agents sent through time to fix things.

Last edited:

Krensky

First Post
Considering how so few of the actual games have been released over here, the chances of an official RPG are none, but I'd love to see an RPG that was basically Super Robot Taisen/Wars with the serial numbers filed off.

I'm not that familiar with the games, but wouldn't that be Mekton Z and mining the net? I know I've seen this series mentioned and on the MZ mailing list, and stats for all sorts of TV and movie mecha.

Krensky

First Post
That would be great. :)

I would love to have a good mecha RPG to play with, but I have never actually seen one that I liked. The mecha section of D20 Future was pretty bad, D20 Mecha was rooted in BESM (which I don't like) and has a number of additional flaws, Battletech is too clunky and lacks everything fun about giant robots...

Have you tried Mekton Z?

DriveThruRPG.com

Krensky

First Post
I'm a big fan and collector of Japanese RPGs and they have some seriously a** kickin' ones. I want someone to translate these already!

Sword World (Especially the new 2.0) Record of the Lodoss War anyone?

Metal Head D20 - D20 Modern/Future Adaption of a universe right on the border between cyperpunk and space exploration.

Wares Blade D20 - Heck the original would be cool! Now it's 3.5 compatible!!! D&D with Magical Giant Robots that don't look gawd aweful and aren't steampunk. Why do US magic with robots games always need an excuse for the mecha. There are mecha! The world is medieval! Its FANTASY!

Al-Shard - The MMORPG as table top done right. Instead of ignoring the gimmick or saying it isn't a gimmick (*cough**4E**cough, cough*) Al-Shard says 'yes we're trying to make a game that feels like all those cool Japanese video game RPGs thank you very much! Nifty races, nice class/level system that feels more like a system of chosen skill/power packages and a little technomagic thrown in for good measure.

Mobile Suit Gundam - The Japanese adaption of the classic Mecha war story designed using R. Talsorians classic Mekton Zeta rules. A friend of mine was involved in bringing this to the US years ago but it seemed to just fade away. Very sad.

Terra, The Gunslinger - Wild, Wild West Game with Steampowered Android Maids, Native American Shamans, Cyborg Gunslingers and every other things you can think of set again a gold rush/froniter background.

There are so many others...many books for our game systems that simply never came out here...Call of Cthlulu World Tour, Shadownrun Japan, The Traveller Robot Manual (Book 8 Robots and 101 Robots combined into one book with new art) and this one book that redrew the 3E iconics so that horribly freaky elf chick looked amazingly hot. lol

AD
"I mean, this is unreal. They're gonna start eating each other out there."

I know I'd love to see some of these. I bought a copy of the translation of the Maid RPG, mostly as a curiosity and to encourage the translators to get Tenra Bansho Zero out the door. I'd also like to see Sword World (either the Lodoss one or 2.0), and I'm one of the people bugging Pondsmith about Gundam whenever the chance arises.

I haven't read the whole thread but I didn't see FALLOUT 3, that would be a great post apoc game. Good back story and a great PC game, that's for sure:)

How about The Malazan Book of the Fallen, is that a game anywhere?

TwinBahamut

First Post
Have you tried Mekton Z?

DriveThruRPG.com
From what I can gather, that game uses the exact opposite approach from what I would prefer. It seems horribly overcomplicated, is built around some kind of abstract point-buy system, and is far too generic. Based on the previews available at that site, it even has tech levels, and I hate those. The cheap Gundam knock-off art doesn't help it any, either.

Basically any game that tries to sell itself on being a universal toolkit, rather than something immediately useable and focused, is not really my preferred kind of game. I would much rather have a game where the creator had a specific idea of mecha in mind, and made something flavorful and easy to use, rather than a game that is versatile, but generic and hard to use.

At the very least, if you are trying to be universal, you could at least abstract out the pointless things like powerplant, hydraulics and enviromental systems...

Krensky

First Post
From what I can gather, that game uses the exact opposite approach from what I would prefer. It seems horribly overcomplicated, is built around some kind of abstract point-buy system, and is far too generic. Based on the previews available at that site, it even has tech levels, and I hate those. The cheap Gundam knock-off art doesn't help it any, either.

Basically any game that tries to sell itself on being a universal toolkit, rather than something immediately useable and focused, is not really my preferred kind of game. I would much rather have a game where the creator had a specific idea of mecha in mind, and made something flavorful and easy to use, rather than a game that is versatile, but generic and hard to use.

At the very least, if you are trying to be universal, you could at least abstract out the pointless things like powerplant, hydraulics and enviromental systems...

It's more complicated then OD&D or Teenagers From Outer Space, far less complicated then d20. Mekton Z was published around 1994, and the Mekton II stuff (Empire, for instance) are late 1980s. The art's actually pretty good considering. It's build system is well thought out, it's playable out of the book as board game or rpg using the Invasion Terra setting, although Starblade Battalion is better in my opinion. Tech levels have no impact on the mechnics, they're purely a world building and consistancy tool. The "pointless things" you mention aren't. They're called that because they need a name. Powerplant consists of two descisions: Hot or Cold (does it blow up easy) and Normal or Overcharged (how easy does it blow up). What that means is up to the designer. Hydrualics purely relate to systems to make your mech stronger without making it bigger. Enivromental ssytems are there to protect a design from harsh enviroments, if the GM wants to use those rules in the first place.

All that stuff is also in the book fully detailing the construction system, not the main rule book.

However, if you want something even more open the book and play, there's always Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles or Gear Kreig from Dream Pod 9.

Last edited:

Remove ads