What should guard a wizard's lab?

Simm

First Post
You might want to consider the spark, gauntlet, and blade guardians form CW. After all they're supposed to replace a familiar and I don't see them dying easily from neglect.

DarkJester

First Post
How long of an excursion do you wish this to be? Hall of the Rainbow Mage by Necromancer games is a decent romp through a wizards tower and to the actual lab underneath. He uses some walls of force and teleportation circles to make quite a zoo down there.

As others have mentioned, constructs and such are great for outside of the library, indoors not so much. A wizard would want to have a fairly intelligent guard on the inside. The following is my idea for an interesting guard. He would be an outsider summoned to be the wizard's lab assistant and sort of manager while the wizard's away. 'Kleister' is a modified imp, one with levels in expert-he's typically not a fighting type, so much as a bookish lab assistant, or at least that's how he should appear. To make things a little more interesting, lets say this devil is naturally more physically formidable, but his true form was locked away by the wizard in an object of some sort that is located within the laboratory. The conjurer would have used this object as a sort of bargaining chip to get the devil to guard the lab-the devil has since fulfilled his service but since the wizard isn't around to give him back this object he has to stick around.

When the PCs enter the laboratory, Kleister sees an opportunity for them to find his object. After stalking them invisibly and using detect good/magic, Kleister would offer his services to the PCs, acting in a very benign role-perhaps letting them find some paltry magic items and helping them get past some traps (You could showcase some deadly magical traps the PCs would've never been able to disarm themselves normally). You can have some sort of ooze or aberration be in the way of the imp getting his item (something with DR 5/magic or more and immune to poison would do the trick-an opponent the imp wouldn't be able to defeat by himself), and one of his goals for the PCs would be getting them to slay the creature.

His first form is CR 4, which should be a pushover for a reasonably sized lvl 3 party, but his second form is CR 6 which is generally a tough encounter. However, it could make for a potentially interesting fight-since the PCs are in a wizard's lab, perhaps they have a chance and/or need to look for magic items scattered about the place that would give them an edge in the fight (potions of heroism, fire breath, a wand of magic missiles (CL 5) and 8 charges left, etc...), perhaps luring Kleister to another magical trap to be fried in. Also, if he gets the item storing his powers, perhaps make the transformation take a full round and allow PCs some potshots at him (or run!). Without further ado, some stats:

[sblock]Kleister (Imp, Expert 4 with elite array for ability scores)
HD: 3d8+4d6+14 (41 hp)
Init: +6
Speed: 20 ft., Fly 50 ft. (Perfect)
AC: 19 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +5 Natural)
Attack: Sting +10 (1d4+2 + poison)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
SA: Poison, spell-like abilities
SQ: Alt Form, DR 5/good or silver, darkvision 60'
fast healing 2, immunity to poison, resistance to fire 5
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +9
Str 14 Dex 14 Con 15 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +12, Diplomacy +12, Hide +20, Knowledge (Arcana) +13, Knowledge (the Planes) +11, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Search +11, Spellcraft +11, Spot +12
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Knowledge: Arcana)
Alignment: Lawful Evil
CR: 4

(Abilities as per normal Imp, though the poison DC is 2 higher than standard)

Kleister
Imp, Expert 4 (Added Half-fiend template, made large size for dramatic effect,
but no stat adjustments due to the size increase)
Large-sized Outsider
HD: 3d8+4d6+21 (48 hp)
Init: +8
Speed: 40 ft., Fly 30 ft. (Average)
AC: 20 (+4 Dex, +6 Natural)
Attack (PA 2): Bite +8 (1d8+6), Sting +6 (1d6+4+poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
SA: Poison, spell-like abilities
SQ: Alt Form, DR 5/good or silver, darkvision 60'
fast healing 2, immunity to poison, resistance to elements 10, SR 13
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +9
Str 18 Dex 18 Con 17 Int 17 Wis 14 Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +13, Diplomacy +13, Hide +10, Knowledge (Arcana) +13, Listen +12, Move Silently +10, Search +11, Spellcraft +13, Spot +12
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Multiattack
CR: 6

An imp’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 16, initial damage 1d4 Dex, secondary damage 2d4 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will—detect good, detect magic, invisibility (self only); 3/day—darkness, poison (DC 15), :)1/day—desecrate, suggestion (DC 15), unholy blight (DC 18). Caster level 6th. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Once per week an imp can use commune to ask six questions. The ability otherwise works as the spell (caster level 12th).
Alternate Form (Su): An imp can assume other forms at will as a standard action. This ability functions as a polymorph spell cast on itself (caster level 12th), except that an imp does not regain hit points for changing form, and an individual imp can assume only one or two forms no larger than Medium. Common forms include monstrous spider, raven, rat, and boar.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kurashu

First Post
Runic Guardian (MMII) comes to mind.

Constructs are the obvious choice.

But, oozes and living spells are a good second.

Bound outsiders.

Perhaps a dragon?

Abberations are fun. Check Lords of Madness for some good ones.

A giant the wizard befriended in his life.

FalcWP

Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the great ideas, folks.

As far as the size of the complex and the length of the adventure go... the lab itself is going to be relatively small. I'm thinking a few rooms for various experiments (say, one for alchemical experiments, one for summoning, one for crafting, one for testing out new spells), a largish study/library, a main hall, and that's mostly it. All underground, beneath the wizard's old home, and behind secret doors - the wizard didn't want anyone stumbling onto his experiments, partially because they aren't entirely ethical, partially because they would be dangerous to the general public, and partially because he liked his privacy. A corridor will lead to the lab, from the basement of the wizard's house; there will also be an exit that leads into the nearby countryside. Knowing my group, it will probably encompass a full four hour session, between exploring and combat.

Sollir Furryfoot, I really like the idea for that Imp. I'd been playing around with an idea of an imp as a bound assistant, but hadn't come up with a really good way to pull it off, but that's just about perfect. I particularly like the idea of him needing the PCs to retrieve something for him that he is unable to access.

Nyeshet's Living Spell idea is also a fun one, and could work well as the guardian that the imp cannot overcome - Living spells have DR 10/Magic and are immune to poison. So there's another challenge for them.

I think I may add in either a few constructs or a few low CR outsiders (such as small elementals or Lemures) which the imp has at least nominal control over, though I'll have to make sure that they would be unable to defeat the Living Spell or any other challenge standing between the imp and what he wants.

I think its a really good start towards guarding this lab. I'd love to hear any other ideas folks have.

Kidarcane

First Post
For extra flavor

Let's say someone else tried to get in and perhaps set off a potent Sepia's Snake Sigil. Nothing says danger like an person in stasis. Then the players have a moral question...do they set the person free? If you're feeling ornery, you can have the spell ware off about the time they have forgotten about the trapped person, then the freed adventurer can stalk your players as a rival.

I think the idea of imperfect or broken-down constructs (early experiments?) is really interesting. They may not even be intended as guards, more as pets or assistants or something the wizard is studying, so you could give the PCs a chance to think their way around them rather than fight them. Someone said a rusty iron golem, but what about a tin one? Or one with legs so uneven that it can barely walk? Or a flesh golem with severely mismatched parts, so it can't attack effectively, but might be a nuisance or make enough noise that it attracts attention if they can't deal with it.

Pants

First Post
FalcWP said:
I think I may add in either a few constructs or a few low CR outsiders (such as small elementals or Lemures) which the imp has at least nominal control over, though I'll have to make sure that they would be unable to defeat the Living Spell or any other challenge standing between the imp and what he wants.
Mephits make good, low CR nuisances.

Dread Guards (MMII) are nice, low CR constructs. I'm particularly fond of them since they're just smash-em bash-em types.

If you were going for a larger dungeon area you could always have both an imp AND a quasit. The imp is the old familiar/assistant of the dead wizard and the quasit broke in recently due to planar convergences/rip/tear, that sort of thing, and has been causing all sorts of trouble for the poor imp, including mustering up some low-HD demonic guards (dretches, manes, rutterkin). The quasit finds the imp intolerable since he's always sending the construct guards to squash his fun. Each one is holed up in a different part of the complex and finds the prospect of dealing with the other 'personally' a disgusting notion.

Both approach the PC's with offers that if they deal with the offending party, the imp or quasit will tell them secrets about the place (real or made up).

Could make for some interesting role-playing. :)

Remove ads