What should guard a wizard's lab?

Moab2

First Post
I don't know which book they were from, but there was an exerpt on the WOTC website that gave the stats for alchemy beetles. I don't know much about Eberron, but those constructs struck me as very cool. Maybe this wizard (or artificer) found the recipe for creating these constructs.

Someone

Adventurer
Iron golem.

The party will know they can't beat it, so they'll have to think on ways to defeat or avoid it, maybe leading the golem to a trap they bypassed earlier, or distracting it with fast characters while the rest -or just the rogue- sneak in and loot the place.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Someone said:
Iron golem.

The party will know they can't beat it, so they'll have to think on ways to defeat or avoid it, maybe leading the golem to a trap they bypassed earlier, or distracting it with fast characters while the rest -or just the rogue- sneak in and loot the place.

Except that if the Iron Golem just gets one action, it can charge and kill a PC, or breathe poison gas, killing everyone.

Someone

Adventurer
Ok, a rusty iron golem without poison cloud. Edit: No, seriously, there are ways around that. Eliminating the poison cloud ability and making the golem not able to charge is a way; also, making sure the party sees the golem long before (it's at the other end of a long corridor or room) it has a chance to charge the party; or the room has enough obstacles, like columns, to avoid being charged; or perhaps on another room there are clues or notes on the golem's instructions left long ago by the wizard so they can trick it into not attacking the party. There are a lot of options.

Last edited:

painandgreed

First Post
Perhaps traps including spells he might have cast. Other than that, leave objects laying around such as mislabled bottles of poison or cursed items. Such would be out of the way of friends of the wizard but easily findable by those searching for loot. Then there could be a semi-trap of treasure that was directly linkable to the wizard at hand. If the players sell any of it they might be mistaken for operatives of the wizard and draw the attention of his old enemies or of those who might want something that may or may not have been in the lab, convinced that the PCs have it.

Remove ads