• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should I do in Kuala Lumpur ?

Ziggy

First Post
Next week I'll travel together with my wife to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia). She'll be attending a meeting lasting almost one week, while I'm just along for the ride.

So what should I do with all that spare time ? I'll be limited to day trips, but she'll be attending several formal dinners so I can use the whole day if necessary.

I plan to buy Lonely Planet and read it on the plane, and probably get some ideas from that. But if anyone in the community have any experices from the area (or even live there) I'll be grateful for "must sees" or other recommendations.

.Ziggy

P.S: We'll go on to Vietnam afterwards. Got a pretty good idea of where to go and what to see, but if you got any recommendations feel free.

ascendance

First Post
In Kuala Lumpur? Take along lots of Immodium, and make sure you try all the local delicacies. Its been a good 15 years since I've been there, so I can't recommend anything. Hong should be able to, since he's been back more recently.

You definitely want to try lots of street foods, from the nasi lemak, to the laksa lemak, to the roti canai, to satay. If you've paid for satay at exorbitant prices in North America, be prepared to be shocked by the cost in Malaysia. Feel free to ask the locals, and follow the chowhound's rule: ask the local for two places, and then go to the second. The first is probably the gringo/tourist approved place. However, try and turn a blind eye towards the sanitation of the place you're eating at, and be sure to check out the pasar malams (night markets).

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Kl

I was stranded in KL for about a week and a half while waiting for a Chinese visa to come through. Try to find a decent hotel with air conditioning while you're there. It'll make things a bit nicer. KL is a smoggy, noisy, hot city, but at least the people there aren't hostile.

For food, I can recommend a little vegetarian place called Govindas, near the Indian district. It's got really great food, and the prices are pretty sweet. Being a vegetarian myself I stayed away from the street foods for the most part since they're mostly meats. Watch out for the water while you're there, and beware of bottled water, which may have been refilled from the tap. The night markets were pretty nifty, considering that it's so bloody hot during the day that a night-time market makes sense. However, the local shops close pretty early otherwise.

When I was there I went to the bird sanctuary down by the river. It was pretty nice, and they have a large array of many types of exotic birds all under an enormous mesh tent. Definitely worth a look. I really didn't find KL to be that entertaining of a place to visit, but then I'm not the sort who starts up conversations with random strangers, so YMMV. I enjoyed the Beijing leg of my trip much more. Mind you, the KL airport is one of the nicest airports I have ever slept in to save hotel fees. Also, my hotel was infested with the cutest little geckos I have ever seen.

DaveStebbins

First Post
I don't really have anything constructive to contribute, but if you ride the trains or spend time in the stations, notice how smoothly and quietly the trains come into the stations. The company I work for manufactured the rubber-and-steel track pads which go between the rail and the ground to lessen the vibration and noise. I was directly involved in several phases of the engineering and production of those parts so, if I was going to be in KL, you'd find me in a train station leaning out over the tracks and looking down. I don't recommend that as a past-time for anyone else, though. :)

Krug

Newshound
Hmm no time to drop by Singapore or Bangkok?

KL itself there's the usual; the shopping centers etc but traffic can be a pain. The museum is quite interesting and worth a visit. Yes I would reccomend Malacca for the history.

Do let us know how your trip went. :)

Last edited:

1upus

First Post
Definitely try out most of the foods. Granted street food has had a bad reputation, but you can't beat it for flavour!!

With regards to things to do, perhaps some day tours of the city. With the new highways, don't rule out side trips outside of the city itself. Did a trip out to Malacca down south and was done via bus. Granted it was a long day, but well worth it. Great history and the like.

If you find the climate at tad uncomfortable, try a side trip up to Genting, specially if you are into gambling, or perhaps Cameron Highlands....

Sam

Ziggy

First Post
ascendance said:
In Kuala Lumpur? Take along lots of Immodium, and make sure you try all the local delicacies. Its been a good 15 years since I've been there, so I can't recommend anything. Hong should be able to, since he's been back more recently.

I know all Immodium, been a lifesaver on trips to the far east before...

ascendance said:
You definitely want to try lots of street foods, from the nasi lemak, to the laksa lemak, to the roti canai, to satay. If you've paid for satay at exorbitant prices in North America, be prepared to be shocked by the cost in Malaysia. Feel free to ask the locals, and follow the chowhound's rule: ask the local for two places, and then go to the second. The first is probably the gringo/tourist approved place. However, try and turn a blind eye towards the sanitation of the place you're eating at, and be sure to check out the pasar malams (night markets).

How spicy should I expect the street food to be ? I like spice, but not the burn-your-mouth out variant. Don't have too much experience with Malay food (except for the satay - delicious), so I'll definitely be sampling the local fare.

And thanks for the tip about asking for two places, I'll try it out :)

.Ziggy

Ziggy

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
I was stranded in KL for about a week and a half while waiting for a Chinese visa to come through. Try to find a decent hotel with air conditioning while you're there. It'll make things a bit nicer. KL is a smoggy, noisy, hot city, but at least the people there aren't hostile.

Got a room in a luxury hotel, it'll go on the travel expences of my wife's trip :)

Dr. Awkward said:
For food, I can recommend a little vegetarian place called Govindas, near the Indian district. It's got really great food, and the prices are pretty sweet. Being a vegetarian myself I stayed away from the street foods for the most part since they're mostly meats. Watch out for the water while you're there, and beware of bottled water, which may have been refilled from the tap. The night markets were pretty nifty, considering that it's so bloody hot during the day that a night-time market makes sense. However, the local shops close pretty early otherwise.
I'll try the night marked then. Guess I'll find plenty of tips of where and then in Lonely Planet. And I'm always careful about water - dodgy water is the safest way of getting an upset stomach.

Dr. Awkward said:
When I was there I went to the bird sanctuary down by the river. It was pretty nice, and they have a large array of many types of exotic birds all under an enormous mesh tent. Definitely worth a look. I really didn't find KL to be that entertaining of a place to visit, but then I'm not the sort who starts up conversations with random strangers, so YMMV. I enjoyed the Beijing leg of my trip much more. Mind you, the KL airport is one of the nicest airports I have ever slept in to save hotel fees. Also, my hotel was infested with the cutest little geckos I have ever seen.

I might try the sanctuary then, even though I'm not much of a bird person. And I'm stuck there for the week, not much choice there.

.Ziggy

Ziggy

First Post
DaveStebbins said:
I don't really have anything constructive to contribute, but if you ride the trains or spend time in the stations, notice how smoothly and quietly the trains come into the stations. The company I work for manufactured the rubber-and-steel track pads which go between the rail and the ground to lessen the vibration and noise. I was directly involved in several phases of the engineering and production of those parts so, if I was going to be in KL, you'd find me in a train station leaning out over the tracks and looking down. I don't recommend that as a past-time for anyone else, though. :)

If I travel by train I promise to have a look ;)

.ZIggy

Ziggy

First Post
Krug said:
Hmm no time to drop by Singapore or Bangkok?

KL itself there's the usual; the shopping centers etc but traffic can be a pain. The museum is quite interesting and worth a visit. Yes I would reccomend Malacca for the history.

Do let us know how your trip went. :)

Might drop by Bangkok on the way home, and have a meal at one of my favorite restaurants (Lord Jim's at the Imperial Hotel).

I love museums so I'll definitely try that.

.Ziggy

Remove ads