• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should my next WotC purchase be?

Which WotC Book should I buy?

• Libris Mortis

Votes: 68 28.6%
  • Frostburn

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • Races of Stone

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Monster Manuel 3

Votes: 72 30.3%
  • Buy lots of D&D/Star Wars Mini Pack

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • Forget WotC, you should buy... [Insert Below]

Votes: 39 16.4%

• Poll closed .

suburbaknght

First Post
Depends what you're looking for. If it's stuff for players I'd suggest any Quintessential book by Mongoose Publishing. If it's monster stuff I'd recommend Denizens of Dread by Sword and Sorcery Studios/Arthaus Press.

ivocaliban

First Post
I voted for Frostburn simply because I think it has the most useful applications for a homebrew game. Of course...if you're homebrew centers on a city of the undead in the midst of a barren desert, then there are obviously better choices. So, it basically depends on what you want your next purchase to help you accomplish.

If it's a dwarf or gnome heavy game, Races of Stone is probably your best choice. If you want to expand your undead options, Libris Mortis was designed with you in mind! And if you want to do something with pirates and musketeers, then definitely check out AEG's Swashbuckling Adventures as someone else mentioned above. (I use this more than any other non-WotC sourcebook, though it does require significant tweaking for 3.5e use.) I would personally recommend you avoid the Monstrous Manual III unless you're in serious need of some bizarre, niche-filling monsters.

Last edited:

cybertalus

First Post
Remathilis said:
I'm low of funds

In that case avoid the miniatures. They have a way of making a lot more money disapear than you expect.

Can't really comment on the rest of your list, since I almost never buy WotC products when they first come out, but if Expeditious Retreat's Magical Medieval Society book interests you, it's on sale at their website until the end of October. It's only a few dollars more than a booster pack of SW minis.

MonsterMash

First Post
If you don't have them then I'd say Tome of Horrors or Tome of Horrors II were a better buy than MM3. Of the WotC books I'm most impressed by what I've seen of Frostburn.

Romnipotent

First Post
minis
minis minis
buy singles if you just need X
or buy a GOL box, and trade with me :p
(btw, ill trade you a heap of stuff for running a game with them if you need them that I have lying about)

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, if you're a GM, I'd say go with Monster Manual III. Lots of good stuff in that book. If you're a player, probably Frostburn or Races of Stone as both have lots of interesting options for players (and psionics support!)

Altalazar

First Post
I said MM3, just because that seems to have the widest potential for a homebrew. On the other hand, if your homebrew has emphasis on undead or a frost locale or dwarves, well, you can see where this is going...

caudor

Adventurer
My recommendation, if you don't already have it, is to get a subscription to Dungeon Magazine (and Dragon if you have enough).

Some of the benefits:
- Many adventures for the next year (oh, and that big 4-part map of Greyhawk is coming)
- Something new and fresh each month without spending more
- Did I already mention adventures?
- Nice articles and other materials (Dragon)

I typically use Dungeon adventures to save time...and simply place them I my homebrew as I need them.

Shemeska

Adventurer
'Beyond Countless Doorways'. I say this without having actually gotten my copy through the mail yet simply on the reviews from other folks that I've read and the excerpts that I've seen. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads