• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should WOTC do about Golden Wyvern Adept? (Keep Friendly)

What should WOTC do about Golden Wyvern Adept and similarly named feats?

• Remove the fluff and rename them so they work for any campaign (example: Spellshaper Adept)

Votes: 82 29.0%
  • Move the fluff to optional sidebars and rename the feat so they work for any campaign (as above)

Votes: 84 29.7%
  • Rename them so they include a descriptive and functional name together (Golden Wyvern Spellshaper)

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Do not change them, I like occasional fluff names in my core game mechanics (Golden Wyvern Adept)

Votes: 66 23.3%
  • I do not care what WOTC does. (Any choice works for you)

Votes: 36 12.7%

Najo

First Post
I know there are people still arguing the subjective nature of the GWA issue. I think we are past that honestly. It amazes me it is still debate, when the facts are clear that this is the first time game mechanics have been this tied to fluff outside of a campaign setting book.

I said earlier in my seeking to speak to WOTC designers on the matter, I discovered that there is alot of fluff in the feats. I did get my message through to the designers with concerns. They are discussing the matter and see our points as holding validity. The issue though, which I agree with to a point, is that the high level of fluff and the new direction the core rules are taking could bring in the friends and spouses of the current D&D players and DMs that are not currently playing D&D.

If you need additional evidence of the fluff levels in the 4e core books, look at the threads going on with the races & classes book. The races have named empires. We have at the very least the basic blocks for a campaign setting built into the player's handbook from the sound of things.

Is this the right approach? I am not sure. It is good for new players and the casual friends and spouses of the D&D players who could be lured in by the new D&D. That is a good thing. It will step on the DMs who homebrew. How they can cope with it, and how much effort they need to put into adjusting, remains to be seen.

But, the anti-GWA camp is not overreacting. The rumor I have heard for the Forgotten Realms setting is it may have its own Player's Handbook and DM/ World Guide as seperate books that you use in place of the core Player's Handbook.

This would mean, we would see a new player's handbook every year with the release of a new campaign setting, which WOTC implied could happen. interesting times indeed. If this is true, then every DM who has an extensive homebrew would take the SRD and rebuild it with the fluff from his Campaign Setting and then use that instead of his Player' s Handbook. I wonder if WOTC thought about that one, and the issues that could arise if that is what DMs with their own worlds have to do.

xechnao

First Post
Hmmm, what you are saying gives me the impression that 4thEd kind of wants to retouch AD&D's 2nd ed. publication style while retaining the emphasis of the gamist aspect of D20 that turned to a success.
I can't see why though it will bring wives or create new gamers to the table but I can feel that a model like this can indeed refuel sales to those that are gamers allready or would be in any case. It is about selling new books to the people in the hobby-reselling on what D&D can allready capitalize. It is not expanding the hobby to more people.

Najo

First Post
xechnao said:
Hmmm, what you are saying gives me the impression that 4thEd kind of wants to retouch AD&D's 2nd ed. publication style while retaining the emphasis of the gamist aspect of D20 that turned to a success.
I can't see why though it will bring wives or create new gamers to the table but I can feel that a model like this can indeed refuel sales to those that are gamers allready or would be in any case. It is about selling new books to the people in the hobby-reselling on what D&D can allready capitalize. It is not expanding the hobby to more people.

It brings new gamers by putting story and cool ideas along with easy to use rules in their hands. So, you have bright, colorful covers with cool, eye catching imergy that gets them to pick it up. Then while flipping through the book, they are read intersting story hooks, pieces of fluff, looking at full color art and being excited by all the flair and drama throughout the book, instead of being turned off by the game mechanics and technical stuff.

At that point, they are inspired to make a character and try it. Since 4e will run easily for current D&D players (from what I understand) we can easily get up and running a game with little to no effort (compared to now). So in no time, current player's are inclined to run 4e games for their friends and family who all the sudden take an interest.

That is WOTC's hope for 4e by my educated observations.

xechnao

First Post
Najo said:
It brings new gamers by putting story and cool ideas along with easy to use rules in their hands. So, you have bright, colorful covers with cool, eye catching imergy that gets them to pick it up. Then while flipping through the book, they are read intersting story hooks, pieces of fluff, looking at full color art and being excited by all the flair and drama throughout the book, instead of being turned off by the game mechanics and technical stuff.

At that point, they are inspired to make a character and try it. Since 4e will run easily for current D&D players (from what I understand) we can easily get up and running a game with little to no effort (compared to now). So in no time, current player's are inclined to run 4e games for their friends and family who all the sudden take an interest.

That is WOTC's hope for 4e by my educated observations.

To be inspired to make a character IMO is about stimualting ones own imagination. This means that a book has to impress (done by visual art) by touching what allready is inside of me and then show me that there is more I can do of my imagination than myself alone, aka show me the numbers. This is what RPGs are about I think, especially for the uninitiated.
And for new customers, being simpler does not really count, because if you are inclined to it, you will buy it nevertheless and mold it to your needs. It may count for those allready into the hobby though. So, competition wise, if the new edition brings new and better mechanic ideas to the table, FMPOV this will be very welcome, seeing it as a positive and healthy part of the market competition.
But what it seems, IMO, is that the new edition's fluff does not come as a healthy byproduct of competition, but more as an unhealthy one, seeking to capitalize on the game's actual popularity just by coming from the people that the public thinks are risponsable for the game -my point about popularity being, that if for example a product, identical to 4thEd was made by a 3rd party, let's say a year ago, but did not bear the popular name, I think it would not have made such an impact the 4thEd of D&D claims (but, yes, if it was coming with a groundbreaking mechanics style like D20 did, then perhaps it could shake the hobby). And it seems the new edition is more or equally about fluff than mechanics. So it seems it is coming more as an unhealthy byproduct than a healthy one.
My point is that the RPG machine from the moment it was invented, it was set to get going fluff wise. So adding new fluff to D&D is not so much adding to the hobby IMO.
What I see as a quality in an RPG product is instead of expanding on fluff, it shows you on the tools how you can do it yourself, and this is what I think D&D D20's success was about-D20 was a leap in this direction and this is what is the claim of its success.

Will

First Post
My experience with husbands and wives getting into the hobby is that this is a terrible, terrible miscalculation.

I hope either they realize this or that I'm completely wrong.

xechnao

First Post
Will said:
My experience with husbands and wives getting into the hobby is that this is a terrible, terrible miscalculation.

I hope either they realize this or that I'm completely wrong.

I doupt they are actually calculating onto this or anything similar. They may say they are doing so, but I can only think of it as a marketing candy.

Hussar

Legend
najo said:
when the facts are clear that this is the first time game mechanics have been this tied to fluff outside of a campaign setting book

I reject your reality and submit my own.

Flavor has been rock hard locked tight to game mechanics since Basic D&D. There are example after example of this in this thread alone. That you choose to ignore that doesn't make your facts "right".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads