• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What software do you use?

What software do you use?

• Microsoft Excel

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Lotus 123

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • other spreadsheet software

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • Microsoft Access

Votes: 42 24.3%
  • Microsoft Publisher

Votes: 23 13.3%
  • PageMaker

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Quark Express

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • other desktop publishing software

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • Microsoft Word

Votes: 145 83.8%
  • WordPerfect

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • other word processing software

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro

Votes: 85 49.1%
  • Corel Draw

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Campaign Cartographer 2

Votes: 52 30.1%
  • other drawing software

Votes: 69 39.9%

• Poll closed .

Bigwilly

First Post
And a few more...

I write all my adventures in word and have also created PC sheets in word because all the excel generators I tried didn't support something I needed / wanted.

However, I still use excel generators sometimes when generating new PCs / NPCs. I also use excel for a nice little monster advancement utility I found on-line. It's 3.0 not 3.5, but good enough for adding a few HD to the occasional BBEG.

The utilities I use the most are Jamis Buck's NPC and treasure generators. I have two versions of the NPC generator - one is 3.5 compliant but only does base player races. The other is 3.0 but also does some monster races. I have another treasure generator utility as well as an NPC equipment generator which I also abuse a lot.

I also have a PDF version of the SRD which is good 'cos you can search through it for the info you need.

I don't have any good drawing tools, but have created a one inch grid in powerpoint and use that for some maps if I have the time.

Don't use any tabletop tools as I don't have a nice laptop, boo hoo!

Bigwilly

Last edited:

MonsterMash

First Post
I tend to use Word to write adventures on; Excel for tracking the number of encounters, party details, etc; occasionally Visio to produce floor plans; and a html calculator for the calculating XP and treasure.

diaglo

Adventurer
i use pen & paper mostly for my own edification.

but for games where i'm not the referee, i provide what the DM asks. using what program/sheet they like.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Character and stat generation/tracking: E-Tools.

If E-Tools is unavailable (such as for Star Wars): WordPerfect, and notebook paper.

For handouts/maps: Paper and markers.

-The Gneech :cool:

Li Shenron

Legend
Swiftbrook said:
I'm creating some D&D character sheets in MS Publisher, and I've created a weapons group table in Excel and I started wondering, what programs do people generally use.

I work in Information Technology but when I write adventures or characters or any other stuff for our D&D games I use pencil & paper. They have an irresistable feel to me in RPG :)

I do keep some notes in Word format, mostly only for my PCs and NPCs, and normally just when I need several steps - level by level - to make them because of a high character level. In that case, it's easier to keep every single numbered stat in mind.
I also made a few excel sheets with spells and monsters a couple of years ago, just to have them sortable by single parameters, but it was more for fun than real utility :)

Comstar

First Post
GMgenie. With it's 2 MONTHS free trial, it's gotten me back to GMing after a long break (the last time I ran a game was the LAST Iraq war, when I called it off to watch the AAA going off).

I intend to buy the product (only 30 bucks american...all these people using Word and Excel...what a waste of money eh?).

WizarDru

Adventurer
Adventures are usually written in Word. I use DMGenie for most of my campaign tracking and NPC generation. My players traditionally use highly-individualized excel spreadsheets that have grown into monstrosities over time as they calculate everything, including spell factors. This comes from having DBAs playing in your group. :)

At least one of my players uses DMGenie for his PC, as well, and another player recently purchased DMGenie so that he could run his Barakus game as a DM.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
I do adventures in Word, NPCs with Jamis Buck's generator, Excel for sortable lists and mini-databases, and MS Photo Editor for handouts.

I do all my maps by hand. Graph paper, how I love thee.

Remove ads