• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What songs make you think of DND?

Shiroiken

Legend
In general, I've found a lot of old school heavy metal brings out D&D imagery, especially Metallica. I didn't figure out why until I needed to make a few fake prophesies to hide a real one in, so I figured I'd just use the lyrics of a few songs. Given the existence of smartphones, I assumed the players would check to see if any of these "prophesies" existed anywhere. Instead, they jumped down the rabbit hole of every single song, figured out how they could come to pass. The ONLY one they didn't grab onto was the one I made (the real prophesy)!

When I'm writing for D&D, I like to listen to Ren-Fair music. It's mostly period appropriate, helping me stay in the mood. If possible, I also like having the LotR trilogy on the TV as background noise. Weirdly, another movie that helps me stay in the mood is Deadpool, but I have no idea why...

Li Shenron

Legend
Mmm... there's many! A few ones on the top of my head:

Uriah Heep: "The Wizard", "Lady in Black", "Traveller in Time", "Silver White Man"
Jethro Tull: "Ring Out Solstice Bells", "Cold Wind to Valhalla", "Cup of Wonder", "Broadsword"
Led Zeppelin: "Ramble On", "The Battle of Evermore", "Over the Hills and Far Away"
Deep Purple: "Fireball", "Stormbringer"
Thin Lizzy: "The Friendly Ranger at Clontarf Castle", "The Hero and the Madman", "Vagabonds of the Western World"
Queen: "Ogre Battle", "Seven Seas of Rhye"
Yes: "The Prophet", "South Side of the Sky"
Genesis: "White Mountain", "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", "Watcher of the Skies"
Rush: "The Necromancer", "Rivendell", "Chain Lightning"
Marillion: "Market Square Heroes", "Script for a Jester's Tear", "Slainte Mhath"
Mike Oldfield: "Poison Arrows"
Enya: "Bard Dance", "Lothlorien"
Toto: "Hydra"
Penguin Café Orchestra: "Air A Danser", "Cutting Branches for a Temporary Shelter"
Brian Eno: "In Dark Trees", "The Big Ship", "Energy Fools the Magician"

Bonus tracks for horror campaigns... :)

King Diamond: "Them", "Insanity"
Goblin: "Suspiria", "Profondo Rosso", "Sighs"

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
My take away from this thread is that most of the respondants here (including myself) are old as dirt and listen to classic rock and heavy metal.

Rhapsody of Fire's Triumph or Agony, with it's cover art by Jeff Easley, is handily my pick. The parts with Sir Christopher Lee make me a little sad now, though.

The Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack would be my other vote. I had been out of gaming for a few years at that point, but that movie, no, the trailer for it alone, brought me back to Tolkien AND lead me back to D&D.

The entire discography of Rhapsody of Fire (some of their early stuff was just under the name Rhapsody)

Rhenny

Adventurer
Lots of old Yes and King Crimson, especially the following: “Gates of Delirium” - Yes. And “Court of the Crimson King” - King Crimson.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Manilla Road - Necropolis ( Actually I am using this song as a basis for a module. )
Visigoth - Dungeon Master (well its about playing D&D...)
Most of Blind Guardian's discography

OB1

Jedi Master
Avenged Sevenfold - most of their music has a great D&D feel to it

I actually put the band into the game, having them performing a street concert in Sigil, playing Afterlife, whose lyrics go

I don’t belong here
It’s time to move on dear
Escape from this afterlife
Cause the time is right
To move on and on
Far away from here

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads