• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What sort of Clockwork Dragon would Dwarves design to protect a temple?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
To directly answer the question from a thematic story perspective, "Dragons that Dwarves would be familiar with".
Red Dragons are found in warm mountains, White Dragons are found in cold mountains, Silver Dragons are in temperate mountains. Bronze Dragons are in temperate hills, Copper Dragons are in warm hills. Deep Dragons are in the Underdark. These are environments Dwarves live in. From a world building, in-cultural-context point of view, I'd start with one of these.

...If you're going for cool, style and fun, use whatever you like.

It spits lava as a breath weapon.

It can't fly, but can beat wings as a bludgeoning attack or to push opponents back with air pressure.

It has clawed feet which can burrow through rock and stone.

S

Sunseeker

I'd go with an Underworld Dragon from Bestiary 3. But I'd change the alignment to LN or LG.

how about a combination of steampowered and dragon-bones; a steampunk dracolich

Along both of these lines, there's no reason it needs to be a pure automaton. The Dwarves could very easily have been "invaded" at one point by a dragon seeking their wealth, yet they defeated it and thusly turned it into a sort of magical cyborg. It is now programmed to guard the wealth it once tried to steal, even long after it's owners are gone. You now have a powerful, intelligent beast with a death wish but the inability to actually kill itsself. A band of powerful adventurers might be just what it's looking for.

Remove ads