• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What spell would you use for an unbreathable atmosphere?

Abraxas

Explorer
From Piratecat
In fact, it's even a good idea from a strategic level, because invaders trying to deal with this problem are going to require a spell (in this case a limited wish or a miracle, since the PCs don't currently know Filter), and that's one less spell that is going to be aiding their attack.

Are the PC's in question the Defender's?
If so wouldn't Velendo or Tao be able to cast Filter?
It is a 2nd level cleric spell.
Unless, of course, you have new Cleric spells discovered in a manner similar to new Wiz/Sor spells.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Abraxas said:
Are the PC's in question the Defender's?
If so wouldn't Velendo or Tao be able to cast Filter?
It is a 2nd level cleric spell.
Unless, of course, you have new Cleric spells discovered in a manner similar to new Wiz/Sor spells.
I believe PC requires his clerics to switch out known cleric spells with new ones, so that they always have the same net number of cleric spells to choose from at any given time. I'm not sure what's involved in the switching process, though.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I do require clerics to swap out spells, at a day per spell.

Good call on the control winds; that's really sneaky, and awfully clever. They're deep underground, but it might work in any case.

[hijack] The teleport/planeshift to a scroll shop doesn't work in my game, though. As in Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms, in my game you can't typically teleport from deep underground; local energies prohibit it. Plane shift would work, but (a) it's not precisely accurate as far as returning is concerned, and (b) the death of a God has completely messed up planar travel. Thus, unless they want to gate in and out, they're pretty much isolated.

In addition, outside of someplace like Sigil, rare scrolls aren't a stock item; you could commission such an item, but it would never be ready in time. Always worth considering the possibility, though. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Piratecat said:
The teleport/planeshift to a scroll shop doesn't work in my game, though. As in Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms, in my game you can't typically teleport from deep underground; local energies prohibit it.

Does that extend to the ethereal plane?

-Hyp.

Someone

Adventurer
So that´s what awaits the Defenders, eh? I got an spoiler!

Thanee said:
The next scroll shop is just one plane shift/teleport away! ;)

Bye
Thanee

That reveals that you´re not reading PC´s Story Hour! There´s currently a big problem with divination spells and planar travel in the campaing world, something related with a goddess biting the dust.

About the subject, Xorn Movement could help too, or better than that: Reality Maelstrom could suck all the poisoned air (and a lot of ghouls) from a very large area. How Reality Maelstrom would interact with the current planar travels is best left to PC´s imagination.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Where's reality maelstrom from?

Etherealness is another option as long as there's a way to get back without planeshifting. In game, there are still horrible ethereal storms (now slowly calming down), but the PCs have acquired an item that would give them some respite.

The real problem isn't moving through the space with the bad air, because they could always wind walk for that. It's functioning there as a solid fighting and spellcasting force.

Last edited:

oliverhenshaw

First Post
How about Iron Body? The recipient of this would still maybe need some acid protection, but it's an idea.

It's also an idea good for visiting bad-aligned NPCs. Or something.

Someone

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Where's reality maelstrom from?

Manual of the planes. Has a big area of effect; those inside have to save of be sent to a random plane. Outside of this area is another, even bigger, of strong winds (supposedly the air is sucked in the "black hole" and created a vacuum); those in it have to save or fall inside the first area.

the Jester

Legend
Sounds like you've got some cool stuff going on, PC!

I've been giving a lot of thought to adverse environments- I'm writing a system for giving them CRs. (Generally low, of course, since high-level pcs can usually overcome most environmental adversity with overland flight spells or similar things.)

Remove ads