• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What spells do you ban?

I'm assembling my house rules for an upcoming game.
I want to ban skills that provide instant travel powers and push communication and skill use rather than relying on spells.
So ....
With those restrictions in mind, what spells would you ban?
And, while I'm at it, what spells do you ban and why?

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Currently, it's mostly things like Raise Dead and co., Teleport and co., and some other choice bits, that are no longer 'normal spells' - though these tend to work differently too - if they exist at all.

I also have issues with some similar things, it seems. A couple of these issues are addressed in part by Sean K Reynolds' article on 'fewer absolutes' here.

Switchblade

First Post
Anything that brings the dead back to life (though I'd allow unlife)

Haven't really ran much high level stuff so I haven't bothered with the nitty gritty but anything on the speak/understand other language and teleportation schools are things I'd usually prune out. They reduce the impact of other cultures/languages, distance and travel to the casting of a spell instead of learning new languages, seeking sages, joining caravans through the wilderness etc. They detract rather than add to the game.

Though, like the hypocrit I am I'll happily cast them as a player.

Anything else would be for campaign style rather than because I like or dislike the spell.

Quartz

Hero
You're granting everyone extra skill points, right?

As for what to ban, all of the travel spells, including Blink and Fly. All of the planar traveling spells too.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Knock, Know Direction, Legend Lore and any of the other 'skill' spells. Let them give a + 10 bonus but they should never replace a skill check. Plus why I need magic to find north is beyond me...

Oh and Wish is just a bit too redidiculous too

Last edited:

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Wraithstrike.
The spells from Sandstorm and Frostburn that bypass energy immunities
That's it.

Everything else goes, including pre-errata polymorph and wildshape.

Quartz said:
You're granting everyone extra skill points, right?
Yep!
Once I get my campaign web site a little more solidified, I'll be posting a link here for critiques and you'll be able see how I'm getting around a few things.

Greg K

Legend
I tend to ban the following
- Most spells from outside the PHB- especially spells from Book of Exalted Deeds and Complete Divine and, at least, half the spells from the Spell Compendium
-Any spell targeting or protecting Chaotuc or Lawful alignment
-Prismatic Spells.
-Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer
-Rope Trick

Most other spells, I restrict or rewrite as appropriate to the style of game I am running. Some examples
Bull's Strength: as a divine spell, is only avaiable as strength domain
Divine Power: Only available as a war domain spell
Detect Lie, Know Direction, Spider Climb and other skill spells: +10 to skill check
Detect Good: changed to Detect Holy
Detect Evil: changed to Detect Unholy
Planar Ally Spells: each deity as their own specific list of creatures
Raise Dead, Ressurection: Only available to cleric's with Life Domain. Casting time is lengthened.
Righteous Might: Only available as stregnth domain spell
Summon Monster[x]: casting time lengthened. Not all creatures listed are available for summoning. Clerics can only summon specific creatures associated with their deity.

Last edited:

Tharkun

First Post
Outside of the Players Handbook I wouldn't let anything in without looking at it first. I've seen first hand the damage to a game that can be done if stuff is let in without looking at it first.

So I'd ban anything I don't have the ability to look over whenever I want.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Tonguez said:
Knock, Know Direction, Legend Lore and any of the other 'skill' spells. Let them give a + 10 bonus but they should never replace a skill check. Plus why I need magic to find north is beyond me...
I took a clue from AU/AE and replaced them with a "caster power check" (caster level + casting stat bonus) - that way, they'll always be worse than a normal skill check (which is, when maxed out, level + stat bonus + 3 + feats), but remain useful.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads